I've searched google, and i come across three year old xda forum threads

I would like to understand what's going on in all those .xml files in all the apks in android, and opening them up in a text editor looks like jibberish. They also look jibberish-y in HxD, and I can't make out what they are supposed to do. Does anyone know of any way to edit them in a way that will make sense (without blindly editting in a word pad). Should I decompile the apks? Is there some program to make hem look sensible and edittable? I've tried AXMLPrinter2.jar but haven't been able to convert xmls to readable form using it.
    01-30-2012 07:26 PM
    I've searched google, and i come across three year old xda forum threads

I would like to understand what's going on in all those .xml files in all the apks in android, and opening them up in a text editor looks like jibberish. They also look jibberish-y in HxD, and I can't make out what they are supposed to do. Does anyone know of any way to edit them in a way that will make sense (without blindly editting in a word pad). Should I decompile the apks? Is there some program to make hem look sensible and edittable? I've tried AXMLPrinter2.jar but haven't been able to convert xmls to readable form using it.
    Well, what are you trying to edit?
    01-30-2012 07:27 PM
    First off, stop now before you end up wanting to commit suicide. I spent 2 months on this and you are making the same mistake I did.

Do not even try to do this in Windows.
    Yes, you can rename an APK to zip and you will be able to open it, you will even see some XML files. However... If you open an APK in Windows you might only see about 1/3rd of the files in the APK. This is especially true with framework-res.apk. I went round and round trying to figure out why I couldn't find what I was looking for and that was why. It held up Harmonia 1.3 for weeks and weeks before I found out the problem.
    01-30-2012 07:35 PM
    @Curiousnoob I wanted to edit everything particularly the mesaaging app...

However, @LeslieAnn, I guess its a fruitless effort on windows as you said, I've tried numerous times but haven't figured stuff out. I guess you can only effectively edit in linux?
    01-30-2012 07:40 PM
    Before I say something that only I will probably think is funny your talking about editing the xmls in an apk correct?
    01-30-2012 09:10 PM
    You'll want to download apk manager or something similar to decompile the API. If you just unzip by renaming the .apk to .zip, the XML will be unreadable. But like Leslie said, you are better off in Linux. I achieve my simple theming, such as decompiling a framework-res, changing out some statusbar XML to change around the notification icon positions, and then recompiling, but beyond that, you wont get far. For the messaging app, that's a proprietary apk I believe. Probably not the best place to start. You'll rip your hair out trying to get it to decompile and compile back up correctly.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V
    01-30-2012 09:41 PM
    I'm gonna disagree not to start sh!t but if your more familiar with windows that's where you'll want to do this stuff with. Also apk manager was made originally by danesh for windows then the signing scripts ...... most of the good tools that exist right now are from the g1 days and made for windows (except the boot scripts) If your using apk manager your gonna also use notepad++ and linux doesn't have an equivalent to it.
    01-30-2012 09:53 PM
    I'm gonna disagree not to start sh!t but if your more familiar with windows that's where you'll want to do this stuff with. Also apk manager was made originally by danesh for windows then the signing scripts ...... most of the good tools that exist right now are from the g1 days and made for windows (except the boot scripts) If your using apk manager your gonna also use notepad++ and linux doesn't have an equivalent to it.
    I started in Windows because I am far more familiar with it, I know it like the back of my hand. When I was trying to add the power button menu to Harmonia, that was the problem I was having, I was using Windows. I tied every Windows tool I could find, but the necessary XML files never showed up until I opened it in Linux. That was what was so confusing, I had you and Obijohn telling me how, but I simply couldn't find the files to edit.

Granted, I build Harmonia 1 & 2 in Windows and even edit the APK's, but those changes aren't done in the xmkl files, and for the most part can just be dragged and droppped into Winrar or Winzip, but you can't see all of the xml files. Some of it may be due to it not being a case sensitive OS, the rest i;m not sure of, but that was the big problem I was having. The fact that i was seeing soem of them was what was confusing, I had no idea I was missing so many files. When I finally looked at one in Linux i was shocked at the number of files that showed up.

Yes, there are some things you can do in Windows with what is there, once you figure out how to read them, but the nitty gritty is only going to be seen in Linux, unless I missed something. After 2 months of a lot of searching I sure never found out what it was. Rarely have I been that frustrated.
    01-30-2012 10:00 PM
    @LeslieAnn
    I've never had that problem with the xmls. Everytime I've used apkmanager in windows I've gotten everything. The only difference is that sometimes a line might be in a different spot further down the page. (apktool dummy lines). Sometimes if the apktool.jar or you don't set the correct memory size then things will go a little crazy. Like for instance if I'm decompiling framework.jar I'll set the max memory to 256 .

@anyone
    Anyways I'm messing with the angry birds apk after I get done removing the ads I'll post a how to video on using apk manager and updating it's parts.
    01-30-2012 10:19 PM
    @LeslieAnn
    I've never had that problem with the xmls. Everytime I've used apkmanager in windows I've gotten everything. The only difference is that sometimes a line might be in a different spot further down the page. (apktool dummy lines). Sometimes if the apktool.jar or you don't set the correct memory size then things will go a little crazy. Like for instance if I'm decompiling framework.jar I'll set the max memory to 256 .
    Maybe I missed that tool somehow.
    01-31-2012 12:14 AM
    Here's a link to apk manager
    anthonycr likes this.
    01-31-2012 07:56 AM
    Here's a link to apk manager
    Thanks! I had actually found that link already, I'll try it when I get home from school.
    01-31-2012 08:20 AM
    No prob here's the video I put together for apk manager
    01-31-2012 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD