Miui now open source?!

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
it will probably be converted to work on MDPI phones like the OV

but it really requires a bit more muscle, if it runs i doubt it will be as enjoyable as it is on high end phones

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

but it really requires a bit more muscle, if it runs i doubt it will be as enjoyable as it is on high end phones

True but it gives us a little more flavor and options for roms.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is huge for the Android dev community. I love MIUI, and very much look forward to cherry picks of its best features in my favorite ROMs :D

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Isn't everything more enjoyable on highend phones? :p

So true, but I have a HD2 with Miui, and I just love it cause the phone is so skinny.

I remember back when I themed my phone like Miui, and I'd take the back off and use it like that. :p

Miui <3

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It would be awesome if one of our devs oorted it, but I don't understand.. if we can't port the optimus one's ics, why could we port miui?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
It would be awesome if one of our devs oorted it, but I don't understand.. if we can't port the optimus one's ics, why could we port miui?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Because ics was designed for phones with bigger processors and higher specs than our phones, while miui was made for phones with big screens.

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
hey if any of the devs wanna try to port this to optimus s e will test it first and if it works make a few adjustments for the v

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh man, if this is true... Problem is, all themes/lockscreens/icon sets/ EVERYTHING else made for MIUI is made for HDPI phones. Our phones our MDPI. And trust me, porting is NOT easy. I've been spending the last 6 hours porting over a MIUI lockscreen to MDPI for Vipitus over on deviant art, and it is HARD! I would still love to see it though. It's infinitely more customizable then CM7. If it's open source, however, it's elements may be able to be cherry picked into CM7. Although it's probably so entwined into the framework it'll be easier just to build from source. I can't imagine the amount of images that will have to be resized to do that though. We will probably never see it on MDPI phones, but it's good news for all other HDPI phones that haven't gotten an official port yet.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh man, if this is true... Problem is, all themes/lockscreens/icon sets/ EVERYTHING else made for MIUI is made for HDPI phones. Our phones our MDPI. And trust me, porting is NOT easy. I've been spending the last 6 hours porting over a MIUI lockscreen to MDPI for Vipitus over on deviant art, and it is HARD! I would still love to see it though. It's infinitely more customizable then CM7. If it's open source, however, it's elements may be able to be cherry picked into CM7. Although it's probably so entwined into the framework it'll be easier just to build from source. I can't imagine the amount of images that will have to be resized to do that though. We will probably never see it on MDPI phones, but it's good news for all other HDPI phones that haven't gotten an official port yet.

thats true.

we had one brave dev port the darn thing WITHOUT source code to the triumph. and its one of, if not the best, rom we have for the phone.

although CM7 came a long way, CM7 now has a bunch of the features MIUI has (advanced settings like changing carrier name and status bar stuff, lockscreens, yadda yadda) and CM7 now officially has screen rotation and better animations.

to miuis credit, I have never, ever seen a CM7 rom on any of my devices work so smoothly. every little detail from scrolling home screens to switching between apps is polished with animations and clean pixel perfect icons and details.

MIUI really makes a HDPI screen look amazing. especially if the screen isnt capped at frame rates, like the EVO is. then it looks super smooth like a iPhone. if youve ever just played with an iPhone and noticed how every little action is done perfectly, no lag switching screens or stuff. thats how it is.

I think part of that is becuase most of the HDPI phones actually have the cpu and gpu power to back that up, and miui takes full advantage. thats why I dont think the OVs mini snapdragon will handle it as well.

however, I will be watching what happens, because I've been surprised before.

*edit.

when comparing my Triumph screen to the OV, it seems like the OVs screen is either under 60 fps always or has motion blur, like pixels not switching fast enough. i mean i never noticed it until I had a better phone, but side by side, its noticable. the triumph screen, and many other hdpi phones, with a nice rom, feel like watching a 240Hz HDtv where everything looks super smooth and freaky. this is less of a comment about roms but more about the difference you get when you pay for good hardware rather than buying budget hardware. little things like that

A.I.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
You can try raising your windowmgr setting for a smoother effect in your build.prop. I personally use 120.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You can try raising your windowmgr setting for a smoother effect in your build.prop. I personally use 120.

What exactly is this value...? I found it in build.prop as max_events_per_sec so what is it changing. I wish there was a screen framerate value in the build.prop or is this it

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
thats true.

we had one brave dev port the darn thing WITHOUT source code to the triumph. and its one of, if not the best, rom we have for the phone.

although CM7 came a long way, CM7 now has a bunch of the features MIUI has (advanced settings like changing carrier name and status bar stuff, lockscreens, yadda yadda) and CM7 now officially has screen rotation and better animations.

to miuis credit, I have never, ever seen a CM7 rom on any of my devices work so smoothly. every little detail from scrolling home screens to switching between apps is polished with animations and clean pixel perfect icons and details.

MIUI really makes a HDPI screen look amazing. especially if the screen isnt capped at frame rates, like the EVO is. then it looks super smooth like a iPhone. if youve ever just played with an iPhone and noticed how every little action is done perfectly, no lag switching screens or stuff. thats how it is.

I think part of that is becuase most of the HDPI phones actually have the cpu and gpu power to back that up, and miui takes full advantage. thats why I dont think the OVs mini snapdragon will handle it as well.

however, I will be watching what happens, because I've been surprised before.

*edit.

when comparing my Triumph screen to the OV, it seems like the OVs screen is either under 60 fps always or has motion blur, like pixels not switching fast enough. i mean i never noticed it until I had a better phone, but side by side, its noticable. the triumph screen, and many other hdpi phones, with a nice rom, feel like watching a 240Hz HDtv where everything looks super smooth and freaky. this is less of a comment about roms but more about the difference you get when you pay for good hardware rather than buying budget hardware. little things like that

I just like the idea of MIUI's theme chooser, but like I said, it would be pretty useless as there are little to no MDPI themes. But I just want to be able to theme at the click of a button instead of having to decompile APK's to change my statusbar, statusbar icons, icons, and anything else. And you can do it all separately, like winterboard on an iPhone. If the triumph gets a better port of MIUI (As in built from source, not ported) I'm making the jump.

I agree with the processor thing, but I wouldn't quite call it underpowered. The V can handle some pretty tough stuff. Sure it might not be as smooth as a higher end phone, but it gets me through the day. I really wouldn't care about a hiccup every time I change screens, because, well, I'm using MIUI, my dream ROM :)

A.I.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is this value...? I found it in build.prop as max_events_per_sec so what is it changing. I wish there was a screen framerate value in the build.prop or is this it

If it's already there you're running either IHO or Harmonia. The GB build's can't keep keep up with scrolling unless you have 16bit transparency off so any changing to that value wouldn't really do a thing because it is already set to a high number. Harmonia 1x would have a better effect, but 70 I feel is just a little short.

As for what it does, it's self explanatory, though I'll reiterate: it changes the maximum amount of events the regular window manager will accept. This isn't anything simple like just frames. It has an effect on the input and visuals, giving you better scrolling performance and smoother visuals at the hands of some skipping in the touch responsiveness. You'll notice a huge boost in an app like Words With Friends or the Settings menu in the Froyo builds, Bumblebee in particular, but GB isn't up to the task yet.

Lastly, if you wish to check your 2D FPS, go download Fps2D from the market.

Reactions: anthonycr

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain MIUI to me? I don't really get why its so popular. Ok the UI is smooth but the lack of an app drawer is devastating to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay