02-22-2012 12:39 AM
55 123
tools
    Will this make anything different, or affect us? Or ither way, is it still arm7 only?

Good News! MIUI goes open source. May be we can taste it on our Optimus One - xda-developers

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    02-03-2012 03:20 PM
    They haven't released it all yet but /i know there theme engine is better than the cm7 theme engine
    02-03-2012 04:33 PM
    I used MIUI on my MT4G and loved it. Lets hope we get a true MIUI for the OV.

02-03-2012 04:57 PM
    I want something new I've run out of ideas for theming the iho roms.
    02-03-2012 05:02 PM
    it will probably be converted to work on MDPI phones like the OV

but it really requires a bit more muscle, if it runs i doubt it will be as enjoyable as it is on high end phones
    02-03-2012 05:47 PM

but it really requires a bit more muscle, if it runs i doubt it will be as enjoyable as it is on high end phones
    True but it gives us a little more flavor and options for roms.

02-03-2012 06:19 PM

Isn't everything more enjoyable on highend phones?
    02-03-2012 06:23 PM
    This is huge for the Android dev community. I love MIUI, and very much look forward to cherry picks of its best features in my favorite ROMs
    02-03-2012 06:29 PM

Isn't everything more enjoyable on highend phones?
    So true, but I have a HD2 with Miui, and I just love it cause the phone is so skinny.

I remember back when I themed my phone like Miui, and I'd take the back off and use it like that. :P

Miui <3
    02-03-2012 06:47 PM
    It would be awesome if one of our devs oorted it, but I don't understand.. if we can't port the optimus one's ics, why could we port miui?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    02-03-2012 08:31 PM
    It would be awesome if one of our devs oorted it, but I don't understand.. if we can't port the optimus one's ics, why could we port miui?

Because ics was designed for phones with bigger processors and higher specs than our phones, while miui was made for phones with big screens.
    02-03-2012 09:07 PM
    hey if any of the devs wanna try to port this to optimus s e will test it first and if it works make a few adjustments for the v
    02-03-2012 09:53 PM
    Oh man, if this is true... Problem is, all themes/lockscreens/icon sets/ EVERYTHING else made for MIUI is made for HDPI phones. Our phones our MDPI. And trust me, porting is NOT easy. I've been spending the last 6 hours porting over a MIUI lockscreen to MDPI for Vipitus over on deviant art, and it is HARD! I would still love to see it though. It's infinitely more customizable then CM7. If it's open source, however, it's elements may be able to be cherry picked into CM7. Although it's probably so entwined into the framework it'll be easier just to build from source. I can't imagine the amount of images that will have to be resized to do that though. We will probably never see it on MDPI phones, but it's good news for all other HDPI phones that haven't gotten an official port yet.
    02-03-2012 10:49 PM
    Oh man, if this is true... Problem is, all themes/lockscreens/icon sets/ EVERYTHING else made for MIUI is made for HDPI phones. Our phones our MDPI. And trust me, porting is NOT easy. I've been spending the last 6 hours porting over a MIUI lockscreen to MDPI for Vipitus over on deviant art, and it is HARD! I would still love to see it though. It's infinitely more customizable then CM7. If it's open source, however, it's elements may be able to be cherry picked into CM7. Although it's probably so entwined into the framework it'll be easier just to build from source. I can't imagine the amount of images that will have to be resized to do that though. We will probably never see it on MDPI phones, but it's good news for all other HDPI phones that haven't gotten an official port yet.
    thats true.

we had one brave dev port the darn thing WITHOUT source code to the triumph. and its one of, if not the best, rom we have for the phone.

although CM7 came a long way, CM7 now has a bunch of the features MIUI has (advanced settings like changing carrier name and status bar stuff, lockscreens, yadda yadda) and CM7 now officially has screen rotation and better animations.

to miuis credit, I have never, ever seen a CM7 rom on any of my devices work so smoothly. every little detail from scrolling home screens to switching between apps is polished with animations and clean pixel perfect icons and details.

MIUI really makes a HDPI screen look amazing. especially if the screen isnt capped at frame rates, like the EVO is. then it looks super smooth like a iPhone. if youve ever just played with an iPhone and noticed how every little action is done perfectly, no lag switching screens or stuff. thats how it is.

I think part of that is becuase most of the HDPI phones actually have the cpu and gpu power to back that up, and miui takes full advantage. thats why I dont think the OVs mini snapdragon will handle it as well.

however, I will be watching what happens, because I've been surprised before.

*edit.

when comparing my Triumph screen to the OV, it seems like the OVs screen is either under 60 fps always or has motion blur, like pixels not switching fast enough. i mean i never noticed it until I had a better phone, but side by side, its noticable. the triumph screen, and many other hdpi phones, with a nice rom, feel like watching a 240Hz HDtv where everything looks super smooth and freaky. this is less of a comment about roms but more about the difference you get when you pay for good hardware rather than buying budget hardware. little things like that
    02-04-2012 12:23 AM
    You can try raising your windowmgr setting for a smoother effect in your build.prop. I personally use 120.
    02-04-2012 04:03 AM
    You can try raising your windowmgr setting for a smoother effect in your build.prop. I personally use 120.
    What exactly is this value...? I found it in build.prop as max_events_per_sec so what is it changing. I wish there was a screen framerate value in the build.prop or is this it
    02-04-2012 08:23 AM
    thats true.

we had one brave dev port the darn thing WITHOUT source code to the triumph. and its one of, if not the best, rom we have for the phone.

although CM7 came a long way, CM7 now has a bunch of the features MIUI has (advanced settings like changing carrier name and status bar stuff, lockscreens, yadda yadda) and CM7 now officially has screen rotation and better animations.

to miuis credit, I have never, ever seen a CM7 rom on any of my devices work so smoothly. every little detail from scrolling home screens to switching between apps is polished with animations and clean pixel perfect icons and details.

MIUI really makes a HDPI screen look amazing. especially if the screen isnt capped at frame rates, like the EVO is. then it looks super smooth like a iPhone. if youve ever just played with an iPhone and noticed how every little action is done perfectly, no lag switching screens or stuff. thats how it is.

I think part of that is becuase most of the HDPI phones actually have the cpu and gpu power to back that up, and miui takes full advantage. thats why I dont think the OVs mini snapdragon will handle it as well.

however, I will be watching what happens, because I've been surprised before.

*edit.

when comparing my Triumph screen to the OV, it seems like the OVs screen is either under 60 fps always or has motion blur, like pixels not switching fast enough. i mean i never noticed it until I had a better phone, but side by side, its noticable. the triumph screen, and many other hdpi phones, with a nice rom, feel like watching a 240Hz HDtv where everything looks super smooth and freaky. this is less of a comment about roms but more about the difference you get when you pay for good hardware rather than buying budget hardware. little things like that
    I just like the idea of MIUI's theme chooser, but like I said, it would be pretty useless as there are little to no MDPI themes. But I just want to be able to theme at the click of a button instead of having to decompile APK's to change my statusbar, statusbar icons, icons, and anything else. And you can do it all separately, like winterboard on an iPhone. If the triumph gets a better port of MIUI (As in built from source, not ported) I'm making the jump.

I agree with the processor thing, but I wouldn't quite call it underpowered. The V can handle some pretty tough stuff. Sure it might not be as smooth as a higher end phone, but it gets me through the day. I really wouldn't care about a hiccup every time I change screens, because, well, I'm using MIUI, my dream ROM
    02-04-2012 09:15 AM
    What exactly is this value...? I found it in build.prop as max_events_per_sec so what is it changing. I wish there was a screen framerate value in the build.prop or is this it
    If it's already there you're running either IHO or Harmonia. The GB build's can't keep keep up with scrolling unless you have 16bit transparency off so any changing to that value wouldn't really do a thing because it is already set to a high number. Harmonia 1x would have a better effect, but 70 I feel is just a little short.

As for what it does, it's self explanatory, though I'll reiterate: it changes the maximum amount of events the regular window manager will accept. This isn't anything simple like just frames. It has an effect on the input and visuals, giving you better scrolling performance and smoother visuals at the hands of some skipping in the touch responsiveness. You'll notice a huge boost in an app like Words With Friends or the Settings menu in the Froyo builds, Bumblebee in particular, but GB isn't up to the task yet.

Lastly, if you wish to check your 2D FPS, go download Fps2D from the market.
    anthonycr likes this.
    02-04-2012 01:40 PM
    @A.I. cool, I downloaded it and it says my framerate is 65fps.
    02-04-2012 02:37 PM
    Can someone explain MIUI to me? I don't really get why its so popular. Ok the UI is smooth but the lack of an app drawer is devastating to me.
    02-04-2012 03:15 PM
    Can someone explain MIUI to me? I don't really get why its so popular. Ok the UI is smooth but the lack of an app drawer is devastating to me.
    Its mostly the theme changer, and special options. I luv the Launcher.

02-04-2012 03:19 PM
    Well most in MIUI don't even use the stock launcher. Some do, but it's a matter of preference. Like curiousnoob said, its all about the Theme Chooser. Its a ROM devoted to customization. For some CM7 might be more functional, but I'm in in love with MIUI. Having no app drawer isn't that bad, when you have folders that look really nice and can hold a lot of apps.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V
    02-04-2012 03:37 PM
    why is cyanogenmod popular?

it takes android, adds a bunch of cool features that youll never get in a stock rom, and updates it to the latest OS. and supports phones that might otherwise never see that new of an android OS

same with miui. except goes a different way, they keep the cool options of cm7, but go a step further and theme every little bit of the os. and change how some things work. holding the home button doesnt just give u a list of apps, it lets you access the app killer and ram optimizer as well. little things that make the android OS easier and better to use, so you dont have to dig through menus. like on the lock screen, holding the home button activates the flashlight (camera LED) cant tell you how many times THAT came in handy

the launcher isnt as bad as you make it sound. it works really well, and if you dont like it, go to the market and download launcher pro or GOlauncher and use that instead, bam! app drawer.

i hate the app drawer personally.
    02-04-2012 03:37 PM
    I for one would help port over themes.. but couldn't you change your dpi to make the themes work for it? Make it seem like an hdpi device? People use that for hdpi theme Chooser themes

02-04-2012 04:37 PM
    I for one would help port over themes.. but couldn't you change your dpi to make the themes work for it? Make it seem like an hdpi device? People use that for hdpi theme Chooser themes

I assume you've changed dpi before right? I can't tolerate a higher dpi because it makes the small text way too small.
    02-04-2012 04:56 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD