What is the best ROM to flash on an Optimus V?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The only roms you should focus on really are IHO and Harmonia (which has 2 versions, IHO Gingerbread or stock Froyo) and all of them work on all phones.

There are three rules to never bricking your phone.
1. NEVER do a factory reset from anywhere except recover. NEVER, EVER, EVER.
2. Always backup from recovery before and after you flash anything.This is called a Nandroid backup.
3. And last, but not least, when you flash, do only a rom or a recovery, never both at the same time. Do them one at a time, make sure one works before you mess with the other and it is pretty much impossible to brick the phone because each serves as a backup to the other.

Last edited:

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i could never get terminal emulator to work for me so i just used flashimagegui.apk... much easier than bothering with commands... especially for noobs... :)

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
yes that's true but with 3 clicks you could brick your phone, it its a bad download .......

If you got a bad recovery download useing terminal or flashimagegui to flash it could brick your recovery. Flashimagegui is easier to use and leaves less room for typos or missed. Commands

IHO Unofficial CM7. 2
BACKside IHO 12212011

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
it worked for me... as long as the recovery you want to flash is compatible with your phone, its in the root of your SD card, its extremely simple...

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The best method is how ever you feel comfortable doing it. There is a chance for problems either way. Remember tho flashimagegui is not compatible on all phones so getting use to the commands is never bad.

Reactions: Badboytoast

markusf21

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The best method is how ever you feel comfortable doing it. There is a chance for problems either way. Remember tho flashimagegui is not compatible on all phones so getting use to the commands is never bad.

The way I see it is like this. You have to walk before you run. Learn the commands (walk) then you can use shortcuts (run)

Sent from next year on my CM 10ed G-Mobile Galaxy Note 2

Reactions: rooter33

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually, doing i in recovery is MUCH safer.

If it's a bad image it simply will not install, usually. This is true for either method, however you will get a notice in terminal. As for typos, it will either work, or it will not. If you misspell anything, it will simply error out and not flash anything.

So far dead heat right?
Flashgui works... For now. What happens on the next update? The terminal method is foolproof, it ALWAYS works, unless there is something wrong, and then it simply will not. There is no risk, no fear of someone else changing something.

You guys sometimes may think doing some of this the old way is silly, but my phone is older, been flashed more and done things you haven't even dreamed of, yet still runs fine, and it is because of doing this stuff the right way as opposed to the easy way is why.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The question is moot. There are benefits to both.

As for the threads author, I assume she is gone, because she just wanted to install harmonia 2 so I spent a couple hours guiding her through the process so that now that its flashed successfully, I don't think she really needs the question answered.

jganslein

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I am definitely new to this and am wanting a sweet rom to put on my lg optimus phone. I want to get rid of all the crap like maps airg and junk. can someone do like a simple walkthrough on exactly what i should be doing in simple steps? Id appreciate it very much.