So with CM9 whirling around, what happens to CM7/IHO/Gingerbread? Will most devs stop releasing new builds depending on how stable the devs can get 4.0 to be?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    02-15-2012 11:10 PM
    That is what normally happens. Im sure LeslieAnn will keep Harmonia 2.XX going until CM9 is almost rock solid.
    02-15-2012 11:25 PM
    ICS has a ways to go before it can/will replace IHO CM7 and many are not ready or capable of working with it yet. It takes a pretty beefy system to do it in a reasonable amount of time and uses a lot of drive space. Besides that, there is still a LOT of minor work to be done and it's the minor stuff that can take the longest. I doubt it will take as long as GB did to reach a very good, stable state, but it will take some time. Development at the moment is very fast, but it will slow down pretty soon, it's going quick because of a major breakthrough, it won't stay that way.

As for replacing IHO, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    The storage space is a big issue many will not be able to deal with. It may never become the main rom on the OV for this reason alone.

They have have had ICS working on the Evo to some degree for the last 2 months. For every ICS rom available, there is probably 2 MIUI, 5 Sense, and 5 CM7 roms, that doesn't even count the older roms (yes, there is a TON of roms for it).
    02-15-2012 11:26 PM
    That's up in the air at this point.

-- tdm is deciding with Blarf if it is a good idea to merge IHO and ICS, it's up to them
    -- we have just begun true work on ICS now that we have a mostly working build thanks to tdm
    -- it will take weeks to get all the bugs worked out
    -- there are options I've added for customization to BACKside that will take me weeks to port over properly
    -- there are still certain things that we are not even close to getting working on ICS (ie camera)

For the time being, IHO = daily driver, ICS = flash addicts paradise
    02-15-2012 11:27 PM
    I read somewhere that someone posted they think ICS was a step back. ICS looks nice, but has its pros and Cons.

02-16-2012 12:42 AM
    ICS has a ways to go before it can/will replace IHO CM7 and many are not ready or capable of working with it yet. It takes a pretty beefy system to do it in a reasonable amount of time and uses a lot of drive space. Besides that, there is still a LOT of minor work to be done and it's the minor stuff that can take the longest. I doubt it will take as long as GB did to reach a very good, stable state, but it will take some time. Development at the moment is very fast, but it will slow down pretty soon, it's going quick because of a major breakthrough, it won't stay that way.

As for replacing IHO, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    The storage space is a big issue many will not be able to deal with. It may never become the main rom on the OV for this reason alone.

They have have had ICS working on the Evo to some degree for the last 2 months. For every ICS rom available, there is probably 2 MIUI, 5 Sense, and 5 CM7 roms, that doesn't even count the older roms (yes, there is a TON of roms for it).
    Reminds me of the HD2. So many roms, new ones everyday.

02-16-2012 12:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD