I got a Optimus V off Ebay with Clockwork Recovery running cyanogenmod. As a result I can not activate it.
    Is there a way to activate it without completely returning it to stock?
    can i boot from a stock rom once just to activate it?

If I must return fully to stock, how do I do so, I have not been able to find a working, non out dated method.
    02-22-2012 06:07 PM
    we need to know if you have a 2.2.2 ov or a 2.2.1 ov

the newer ones just have a different screen (and froyo 2.2.2 instead of 2.2.1, plus zv5 radio baseband instead of zv4.)
    froyo 2.2.2 OV's need gingerbreak to root. superoneclick and z4root won't cut it.
    the hitachi screens won't work with certain roms because the kernel built into the rom doesn't have the hitachi screen drivers enabled. The current releases of IHO roms have a kernel with the drivers enabled. Harmonia has a new version in the works which will support the newer screens, but it's not done yet.
    you can flash an anykernel.zip with a compatible kernel over any rom regardless of screen type, but the only kernel currently out which will work with harmonia, bumblebee, stock, or other froyo rom and still support the new screen is xionia 13 or 14 (or drew_walton's xionia redux.)
    the old xionia 13/14 kernels work for lots of people but disable the usb storage for some users. I don't think xionia redux has that problem, but like the other xionia kernels with hitachi screens enabled, it's an optimus S kernel and has some little differences inside, the most obvious of which is that it will reverse your home and menu buttons.
    xionia kernels also work on gingerbread roms like iho, but aren't supported for the OV.
    The BobZhome kernels used in current IHO releases are fully compatible with both generations of the OV.
    Recoveries? Only xionia recovery works out-of-the-box on the 2nd gen OV's.
    for a collections of different recoveries patched with xionia kernels for the new OV, see here:
    [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums
    but bear in mind that those xionia kernels may prevent your usb storage from working in recovery.
    Edit:
    correction:
    I've gotten an IHO-based recovery from one of the builders of IHO roms (BobZhome) to post in that thread. So, there will shortly be a recovery with a non-Xionia kernel posted in that blackscreen fix thread (once I get it uploaded and linked.)
    type

dmesg | grep hitachi
    dmesg | grep novatek

into terminal emulator to tell you what you have

2.2.1 is novatec 2.2.2 is hitachi

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-a...-versions.html

once downloaded go to the root of your SD card and if there isnt one there make a folder and name it clockworkmod then open it and if there isnt a backup folder insside it make a foldre called backup then put your nandroid (still in its folder) there themn boot into recovery and navigate to backup and restore select it and select restore and select your recovery then recover and boot to stock activate and reflash a good rom like armonia 2 or BACKside (both cm7 roms

or you could flash a froyo rom such as harmonia 1.6 witch is universal and can activate it is based on cyanogenmod 6 i beleve
    happy romming
    boris.tuman and primalist like this.
    02-22-2012 06:19 PM
    When i type in

dmesg | grep hitachi
    and press enter nothing happpens

but when i type in
    dmesg | grep novatek

i get lots of text, does that mean 2.2.1? and if so what should I do next?
    02-22-2012 08:19 PM
    Sounds like you have novatek. Does each line have 'novetek' in it somewhere?

EDIT: Also, whenever I boot BACKside it brings up an activation screen first if I don't have it in airplane mode. I don't plan to activate so I just ignore it. I wonder if it would do a VM activation?
    02-22-2012 08:44 PM
    Yes, it means you have a 2.2.1 phone. Unfortunately, the VM activate app is very fussy and will pretty much refuse to work unless it's on a stock rom(although you might be able to coax it into working on Harmonia 1.x, others know better than I do about that).
    02-22-2012 08:45 PM
    *cough leslieann cough*

but yes sometimes it FC

but just use the 2.2.1 recovery found in the link providedactivate and go here to flash cm7

[ROM][WIP] BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme - Android Forums

everything you neeed to know about flashing the rom is in there
    02-22-2012 09:54 PM
    yes it does have novatek, so is it possible to boot from a stock rom on my sd card and then have an activated phone with CM7?
    02-23-2012 12:59 AM
    yes it does have novatek, so is it possible to boot from a stock rom on my sd card and then have an activated phone with CM7?
    Consider this an educated guess as I don't have an Optimus V, but you MAY be able to boot a stock ROM from SD card using the Optimus V version of MultiROM but I'm not 100% on that.

Otherwise you will need to flash a stock ROM in order to activate it.
    02-23-2012 01:05 AM
    You can install Harmonia 1x and activate it.

The app is not stable regardless of phone model, always has been. Just keep running it until it finishes. Took me 3 times my first time on the bone stock phone.

The Activate app in Harmonia is actually from the newer phone just to ensure it works on both, which is also why it removes itself from the desktop.
    02-23-2012 01:20 AM
    I have Flashed the rom and have been running the activation app, and It keeps giving me a lack of service error 06-07-5920 (in areas I should have service). I have run it over 20 times so far. Is there another approach? Thanks so much for all your help so far btw!
    02-23-2012 11:29 PM
    You may be having an area outtage or something.
    02-23-2012 11:49 PM
    you can also try the active app on this rom http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...1-2-2-2-a.html let us know how it works out for you

ONLY THE ACTIVE APP, !!!!"""DO NOT FACTORY RESET!!!!!!!!
    02-24-2012 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD