Two Optimus Vs With Same Bluetooth Address? Using CM7 ports

Schlidel

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to pair both of our Optimus Vs to our car when I ran into this problem.

When trying to pair the second phone to the car, the car thought I was trying to pair the first one.

Upon investigation both of our Optimus Vs have the same bluetooth address.

I'm running BobzHome's CM7.2 on both... one has 2.6.32.9-v3.6 and the other has 2.6.32.9-v3.3 Will BobZHome have to fix this in the kernel?

Anyway I can change the address manually and permanently? I found how to do it with another phone type on XDA, but I don't know how to do it on my OV. Anyone? Thanks a ton.

Edit: Here's that guide I tried following for a different phone I found through XDA. I can't get past the initial steps though since when I go to the sd-ext folder it's empty. I have show hidden files selected but that folder isnt showing anything. Oh well, this guide isn't for an OV, but maybe it will provide hints?

Last edited:

youhsf12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Two Optimus Vs With Same Bluetooth Address? Using BZHome kern

It apparently happens somehow by having two of the same device, if I had to take a guess at it maybe flashing both wipes the BT info and the moon and stars align just right and they both end up with the same address...
Give this a shot in a terminal emulator on the phone:

su
bdaddr [new bluetooth address] && hciconfig hci0 reset

(Google fix for a problem I don't have, so I can't say for sure if it works or not, but says for all CM7 roms)

Reactions: Schlidel

Schlidel

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Two Optimus Vs With Same Bluetooth Address? Using BZHome kern

Thanks, I also found that solution on Google and tried it. The terminal spit back a message which gave me the impression of success, but ultimately it didn't work. (anyway, I read that would only be a temporary solution and wouldn't work through reboot)

The problem isn't caused by having two of the same device (every device is suppose to have a unique bt address regardless), but it's with having two phones both using ported CM7 roms (I tried various variants all the same address). The roms fail to randomize or use the actual bluetooth module's address.

I've sorta remedied the situation by using a non-cm7 rom... harmonious bumblebee... but it's been restarting on me like crazy. Even after bumping down the default oc. :'(

Can someone post their bluetooth address who's using CM7 with OV obviously. I'm curious if they're all the same. I think mine use to start with 43 and ended with 00. I have bumblebee installed right now so I have different bt address currently.

I would love for this to get fixed so I can continue using CM7. I miss things. Like being able to hold down back to close crap.

Edit: I highly doubt this gets fixed anytime soon so does anyone have suggestions for a non-CM7 rom that works with new hitachi screen model. (that doesn't crash and burn with a reboot constantly) Double Edit: More like specific kernel to use. I just flashed a different kernel so maybe all my problems are gone. Or worse.

Last edited:

Schlidel

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So has this been remedied yet? Its a damn shame I have to stick to Froyo because of this.

Reply to above comment, it's only a problem if you are wanting to connect two Optimus Vs to the same device or want two OVs to talk over bluetooth to each other. They both need a unique address. Also, if you happen to come by another OV on the streets who's also using a CM rom it may cause a problem, but chances are super slim.

Last edited:

Schlidel

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this was fixed a while back, but even still, there is Harmonia 1 (Froyo) that is much better than stock.

I've been using harmonious bumblebee for months now. It's fine, I would just like to move on to Gingerbread or beyond. :)

I miss sliding the status bar to adjust brightness, holding back to kill apps, swiping away notifications, power buttons in status bar, and the updated store. :( But I'm trading all that for the ability to have two optimus Vs connect to my car head unit.

It would be helpful if someone who is already using a current CM7/9 rom to post their Bluetooth address and we can see if it's different from the ones posted above.

Last edited:

Glenar

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My phone never connects to my car when my wife is with me. Her phone is an exact duplicate of mine. The car always tries her phone first and I guess never gets around to mine.

Schlidel

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My phone never connects to my car when my wife is with me. Her phone is an exact duplicate of mine. The car always tries her phone first and I guess never gets around to mine.

Go into your phones' bluetooth settings and see if they both have the same address.

Also, could be a limitation of your car's head unit.

Last edited:

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
is there a utility to assign a unique address to our phone? can we modify it ourselves?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Glenar

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Go into your phones' bluetooth settings and see if they both have the same address.

Also, could be a limitation of your car's head unit.

The addresses are identical. I never set up her phone in my car (or tried to). After I hear my car 'contact' her phone sometimes all I have to do is turn my bt off and on and I connect. Sometimes I have to go into settings. It just seems that having identical bt addresses would have something to do with something like this.

Schlidel

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The addresses are identical. I never set up her phone in my car (or tried to). After I hear my car 'contact' her phone sometimes all I have to do is turn my bt off and on and I connect. Sometimes I have to go into settings. It just seems that having identical bt addresses would have something to do with something like this.

If your wife's Bluetooth is on when she's in the car with you then the identical addresses are exactly what is causing your problem.

What rom do you have is it a recent one?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
LeslieAnn I just checked my Optimus V and its showing the same BT address posted above. So no it is not been fixed. My rom is MGR's build he released with the new kernel.