Install from root of SD Card

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
There are many threads about flashing this ROM, or that theme, or the other kernel, and they all suggest that you place the .zip in the root of the SD card. Is there a particular reason for always placing it there? Would one not be able to install it if it was in a subdirectory of the root? Or is this merely a suggestion, for convenience sake? Just curious.

theexile1

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
ehh just makes it easier but if consistently update and change things you can put em in folders i organise mine by there operating systems etc.. froyo, gb, ics

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Can't you just ignore him? I mean seriously, he provided some relevant advice, leave it alone man. I know he's annoyed you on several other threads, but if you feel he's being immature, then be a better forum citizen yourself, and don't antagonize him.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You have to have some problem with him to bother posting about it. The point is that your posts complaining about him add just as much static to the thread as he does (when he does, like I said before, his post here was relevant to the subject).

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There are many threads about flashing this ROM, or that theme, or the other kernel, and they all suggest that you place the .zip in the root of the SD card. Is there a particular reason for always placing it there? Would one not be able to install it if it was in a subdirectory of the root? Or is this merely a suggestion, for convenience sake? Just curious.

The reason is the way recovery works. Carriers send updates to phone that trigger a command that boots to factory recovery which flash the update.zip from the sdcard. Most phones internal memory isnt large enough to keep updates on the internal side so its pushed to the sdcard.

When clockwork mod recovery was created they used the same functions to flash roms. No need to break what works.

Im not sure how CuriousNoob flashes roms. But IIRC he is flashing them from his computer.

Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The reason is the way recovery works. Carriers send updates to phone that trigger a command that boots to factory recovery which flash the update.zip from the sdcard. Most phones internal memory isnt large enough to keep updates on the internal side so its pushed to the sdcard.

When clockwork mod recovery was created they used the same functions to flash roms. No need to break what works.

Im not sure how CuriousNoob flashes roms. But IIRC he is flashing them from his computer.

Thank you, that's an excellent explanation. And I think you're right about CuriousNoob flashing from his computer, I believe that I read him saying that also.

I've just been testing so many different ROMS lately, it'd be nice to be able to organize them a bit.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can flash roms from anywhere on your sd card. If you place it in a folder, the install zip from sd card command will let you keep opening folders until you either find the zip file or get to the last folder. I always keep my roms in a folder named ROMS, and have multiple roms in it. I have never had any issues flashing from this folder. Placing the zip file on the root of the card is just to make it easier to find. I have also flashed straight from the download folder without issues. I have also flashed straight from the download folder without any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7