can we flash sprint radios??

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Short answer: No. You will brick your phone

Long Answer: Yes in theory(with some tinkering of the radio image), but LG has an undocumented and non-standard way of flashing the radio that no one has figured out how to replicate.

Again: Don't do it! (Flashing the radio image I mean, tinkering with the PRL is okay)

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Short answer: No. You will brick your phone

Long Answer: Yes in theory(with some tinkering of the radio image), but LG has an undocumented and non-standard way of flashing the radio that no one has figured out how to replicate.

Again: Don't do it! (Flashing the radio image I mean, tinkering with the PRL is okay)

That is totally wrong. Yes you can flash the optimus s radio don't try other phones though. If your gonna do it then you need to use a v9 or lower radio. the radio in the v7 cab is the same as the radio that came in the optimus v 2.2.1 phones and the radio in the v8 cab is the same as the radio in the optimus v 2.2.2 phones. There are certain recoveries that you would wanna use. If you use a cab file you should be warned that it will change your bootloader. It doesn't really matter though unless you really think you'll actually send your phone in for warranty work.

Also Lg flashes the radios the same way as everyone else and there are different ways (recovery, fastboot, lgtoold). But the method isn't different. If you need proof of this concept look in the zvh update.zip that came from lg.

Reactions: notown

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
so then what will happen will the new roms be compatibal will i have data i already have a sprint prl

If you use the v9 or lower radio all the current roms will be usable. If you flash zvh currently none of the roms are compatible except for sprint roms. Like you can you the gingerbread update (which really needs some love) but you won't have mms. For now........ I'm not sure that anyone is gonna put effort into that until they know 100% that there is an improvement.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
That is totally wrong. Yes you can flash the optimus s radio don't try other phones though. If your gonna do it then you need to use a v9 or lower radio. the radio in the v7 cab is the same as the radio that came in the optimus v 2.2.1 phones and the radio in the v8 cab is the same as the radio in the optimus v 2.2.2 phones. There are certain recoveries that you would wanna use. If you use a cab file you should be warned that it will change your bootloader. It doesn't really matter though unless you really think you'll actually send your phone in for warranty work.

Also Lg flashes the radios the same way as everyone else and there are different ways (recovery, fastboot, lgtoold). But the method isn't different. If you need proof of this concept look in the zvh update.zip that came from lg.

This is also totally wrong. The only way to flash a radio image to an LG device is to use the (1) the stock recovery, (b) fastboot (on devices that support it) and (c) LG Update Tool. No custom recovery images can flash LG radios because LG DOES in fact flash radios in a non-obvious way that is totally different from, say, a Nexus device.

Problem with A: Have fun making a custom zip with a Sprint radio image that will even flash on an Optimus V stock recovery image.

Problem with B: You'll probably end up bricking your device. If anyone has successfully flashed an Optimus S radio to an Optimus V (and is having ZERO issues whatsoever) please let me know.

Problem with C: Have fun creating a custom KDZ and/or CAB file that is flashable using KP500 or similar utilities. AFAIK it hasn't been done and at this time cannot be done.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
This is also totally wrong. The only way to flash a radio image to an LG device is to use the (1) the stock recovery, (b) fastboot (on devices that support it) and (c) LG Update Tool. No custom recovery images can flash LG radios because LG DOES in fact flash radios in a non-obvious way that is totally different from, say, a Nexus device.

Problem with A: Have fun making a custom zip with a Sprint radio image that will even flash on an Optimus V stock recovery image.

Problem with B: You'll probably end up bricking your device. If anyone has successfully flashed an Optimus S radio to an Optimus V (and is having ZERO issues whatsoever) please let me know.

Problem with C: Have fun creating a custom KDZ and/or CAB file that is flashable using KP500 or similar utilities. AFAIK it hasn't been done and at this time cannot be done.

This is also true in ways, but bigsupersquid was able to do it but no working 3g. just sms and phone calls. He used the kdz updater i believe (stock OS file), and it did cause some problems, this would be a last resort. his phone was just about completely bricked. You are kind of both right AFAIK

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
If you use the v9 or lower radio all the current roms will be usable. If you flash zvh currently none of the roms are compatible except for sprint roms. Like you can you the gingerbread update (which really needs some love) but you won't have mms. For now........ I'm not sure that anyone is gonna put effort into that until they know 100% that there is an improvement.

Question, where can I find these? (I'm bored, and potentially bricking electronics is a good cure)

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site

I personally have used kp500 and an update zip to flash the sprint radio to my v. I only had problems with the zvh radio not working with anything but sprint gingerbread . Also the kp500 flashed a bootloader that locks out fastboot.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
A little grave digging... Asadullas and Drews post here sort of hit home in light of our new update.zip so my thoughts now are, now that we have our own zv9 radio wouldn't that make trying put a sprint radio less risky because we do have something to return to.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
thewraith420 said:
A little grave digging... Asadullas and Drews post here sort of hit home in light of our new update.zip so my thoughts now are, now that we have our own zv9 radio wouldn't that make trying put a sprint radio less risky because we do have something to return to.

YEP
in other news........
told you so

Reactions: thewraith420

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
YEP
in other news........
told you so
Asadullah, since you seem to be the only confirmed running A sprint radio. Do you know if we could just flash the sprint update.zip twice like we do our update.zip in order to get the radio or is kp500 the only way you've tried?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Acording to your previous post here. The sprint zv7 is the same as the VM 2.2.1 and zv8 is VM 2.2.2 radio. Some people have reported issues with our zv9 radio. It sounds like this might be an option to go back to what they had before.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
All this business about the radio is so much fun to read! It's like a good mystery unfolding, you never know what someone is going to find next.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Asadullah, since you seem to be the only confirmed running A sprint radio. Do you know if we could just flash the sprint update.zip twice like we do our update.zip in order to get the radio or is kp500 the only way you've tried?

I can't remember exactly how I started but I remember that when I went to the latest update from sprint it was an update zip. So if you wanted to test out sprint gingerbread there you go. I believe I was using this older recovery I don't remember which one. Cm7 should work fine. I got a brand new optimus v the other day I gotta get around to rooting and testing things out on.

Reactions: thewraith420

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay