[TO DEVS] Any Updates?

BackHandLegend

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
To start off I'd like to thank anyone that has worked hard for us to enjoy our phones with roms, mods, tweaks, etc. Sorry if I'm impatient, but are the 4.0 projects over? I see the MIUI ALPHA has been pulled, and the ICS hasn't gotten much attention anymore. So are there no fixes? Or are devs simply waiting for a major fix to release another, maybe a beta with fixes and such.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It comes in spurts.
Also, it's the middle of the week many only do this on weekends due to work and school. It takes time.

Trust me, work is ongoing.
You will get your fix soon enough.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
To start off I'd like to thank anyone that has worked hard for us to enjoy our phones with roms, mods, tweaks, etc. Sorry if I'm impatient, but are the 4.0 projects over? I see the MIUI ALPHA has been pulled, and the ICS hasn't gotten much attention anymore. So are there no fixes? Or are devs simply waiting for a major fix to release another, maybe a beta with fixes and such.

first, [comment removed by moderator]
Second, They have lives to live.
Third, It's rude to ask for a progress report from people who do nothing but give and give to our community.
Forth, progress takes time, ICS will be ready when/if it can be. Patience.

Here's the kicker, 90% of the features ICS has over stock CM7.2 has and more. What ever is missing there is an app on the market to take care of that functionality.

Rant over, I feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Let's not refer to name calling here. I remember a little while back development paused for CM7 (due to the kernel website getting hacked) and I was posting here and there trying to find out what happened.

To answer OP: tdm and all the other ics devs are working hard at a kernel to get things a little more stable, and my MIUI link will be back up as soon as I find a fix for the phone FC's.. in case you haven't seen that with my constant raving about how I'm trying so hard at it ;)

BackHandLegend

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why that guy is calling me an idiot when I wasn't disrespectful in the first place. Last time I checked asking for a progress report wasn't at all offensive, and I know people do this in their own free time and their own free will. That's why I deeply appreciate developers and if I could I would donate to them, but I am 16, and have no job. I don't see why some douche has to come here attacking me when I never demanded an answer. Thank you guys who answered the question, I appreciate your patience with me and thank you all for understanding what I came here for, which was information.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Then again!

Android 4.0 isn't for our phones. Its not that simple(id assume) The devs are trying their best. Like IHO, came out somewhere in like June?(idk) And now look where its at.

The devs don't really have alot of properties/file for 4.0.(My guess)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
drezliok dude just because you had a bad day doesnt mean you take it out on people here. Go smash a punching bag or something at a gym.

BackHandLegend typically its considered rude to ask for eta's. Creating a thread to ask for a eta is even more rude. Instead maybe ask in the proper thread.

No harm no foul you didnt know so there was no reason to be attacked.
That said...
nerf-bat1.jpg

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Sorry I was unnecessarily nasty. I'm suffering from a vitamin deficiency. Vitamin "taco", a burrito would have worked but none of those around either.

Man I still need my fix.:p

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Just so you'll understand the development process a bit better:

--tdm cribbed together changes that lupohirp, arjen, and mikegapinski had made in order to create device and vendor trees that would compile into a working ROM.

--now each dev is working from that base, and testing out changes on their own, and sharing what they find with the others

--fix one issue, and it may cause another issue, and that is happening more often with this port due to the extreme changes to Android 4

--there are basically three branches to the development tree:
--kernel -- we have been using the Gingerbread kernel from the OS, and it's variants so far, but tdm and BobZhome are working on ones built specifically for the OV
--init processes -- these are the steps the phone goes through when booting up, having a single step out of place can cause major issues, and adding one in could allow it to work while breaking another
--frameworks/internals -- these are the parts that run the phone once booted, many are not made for our armv6 processor, so work is ongoing on porting the code over to our architecture

We have a working kernel, and new ones in development, so this isn't a huge part of the issue atm

We have 80% of the init process solved, but each addition can cause new issues to arise, so call it 65% done

We have most of the internals working, but a couple of sticking points will take the longest, primarily hardware acceleration for graphics and camera/video playback. Work on the camera is coming along, but it takes changes to the kernel and the internals, so it will take the longest. And no, we can't just use the old camera this time, that would take almost as much work to back port as it will take to get the ICS camera working. ;)

Remember, it takes 30 minutes to an hour to compile any single change (well some can be compile separately, but only if they standalone). So a single forgotten semicolon can take a full day to fix. ;)

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
That 30 minutes to an hour is on a fast computer.
If the dev is using a slow computer it only gets worse from there, some systems are taking 4+ hours for every little change.

I have a fairly decent laptop I use for building and even for iho it take anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Have to downgrade to try ics but I know it will take a lot longer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair