I want to start building my own rom where do i start?

cammykool

Resident *****
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
i want to stop being a barnicle to the community and give back by delveloping my own ROM but im a noob at developing where do i start? just with the basics?

and how?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First thing...

You need to start with a stock or fairly stock deodexed build of your current OS on the device. I'm sure LesileAnn or one of the other members here can help in this department.

Second, research as much as possible about working with ROMs and the tools normally involved in modifying and doing so.

I can recommend the following thread here at AC to give you a basic outline of working with ROMs and some of the terms, tools, etc involved to give you a insight to what is involved.

General ROM FAQ

With that said, hopefully some of the regulars in this section can help provide more help getting ahold of the files and stuff you will need to get started.

Reactions: clodfelterac

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
First you need a Linux os, you can run a virtual machine (vmware)over windows, or you can use wubi if you don't want to risk partitioning your hard drive. I have used both, using the wubi method runs smother, but the vmware method is nice because on windows and you can switch back and forth between windows and Linux with a click of the mouse. If you read the first few pages of "building your own rom" thread, it will give you a good start

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above.. Linux is a good route to take especially if you start building from official Google source.

But most people usually just start off using Windows and other means, because jumping right into Linux and source code etc.. can be quite the learning curve....

Good suggestion though :)

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
so can i build in windows?

To build from source? no. Android is built using Linux, which uses a uppercase/lowercase recognizing file system. Windows doesn't recognize the difference. You can do somethings with windows, but if you want build from scratch, Linux it is. Ubuntu works fine. Its a little bloated if you are just using it to build with, but its pretty user friendly and will do the job

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
well i want to start off with someting like BVACKdside or harmio\onia and build from ther change the name add scrpts ect

Most of that you can do with the windows notepad. Just keep their names on it and get their permission if you share.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
and i can add and remove APKs from system/app on the zip resign and can i change the info under About Phone

Yes, you can add apks in /system/app and change the info in About Phone in the build.prop

To start on development, you might want to start with getting used to a flashable zip first. Learn what all the files are and all the .props are, etc.

Some like to start with something a little more challenging, like myself, I started with theming. I made a few CM7 themes and LauncherPro Icon Packs, etc.
A lot of people have been taking a lot of interest in building ROMs lately ever since the big development jump in the last month-2.
The problem is, you can't just jump into development like that. Not unless you have had previous experience with git and linux.
Some problems people (like myself) have is that there isn't a tutorial for everything. Some things you're going to have to find out yourself, whether or not you like it.

And also, there are threads for building, and getting you started on that.
I'm sure you've seen them before around these forums multiple time, but that will definitely get you off your feet and into the world.

Hope this has helped you.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
In Windows, you can edit SOME scripts.
Mostly all you can do is add/remove apk's and system files, but you don't want to go messing with the system files unless you know what you are doing, besides, there is little need to go in there.

Just messing with apk's in Windows isn't a bad place to start, just remember we don't need a bunch of roms who's only difference is a different launcher and an APK or two. So if you do this, keep them to yourself until you develop some sort of concept for the rom and a good understanding of what you are doing.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
What you are currently planning on doing you do not need linux. If all you plan on doing is renaming things, editting pngs, and replacing system apps, don't bother with linux, that's for building from source (which you eventually will want to do if this gets in your blood ;)). For now do what gannon is suggesting, and start by downloading 7zip, which just unzips zips or modifies zips without unzipping them. I've been using it for quite a while as many others do and I can say that it has been the single most handy tool to making my own custom rom out of a flashable zip. Hope this helps ;)

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so, but I always flash with signature verification turned off though so I suppose I wouldn't be able to tell...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC