New Market?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this is just the begining of changes google is making in order to lay the groundwork for coming into your home in a huge way. In the next two years, you are going to see android explode into devices beyond the phone and tablets. Android refrigerators that can text you when you are low on milk or other products, and allow you to see what you need from the supermarket. Android thermostats that are easily connected to via any device so you can turn the ac up when you are coming home. Android lightbulbs that last for years and can tell if you are in the room and turn on/off accordingly. Your entire entertainment center in a packages the size of a usb thumb drive, and running on your big screen tv.

Up to now, google's income has been mostly derived from advertising sales. The new "Play" market will be googles next cash cow once they make it into your home. No growing business ever relies on a single revenue stream, and one the size of google needs dozens if not hundreds to stay on top.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this is just the begining of changes google is making in order to lay the groundwork for coming into your home in a huge way. In the next two years, you are going to see android explode into devices beyond the phone and tablets. Android refrigerators that can text you when you are low on milk or other products, and allow you to see what you need from the supermarket. Android thermostats that are easily connected to via any device so you can turn the ac up when you are coming home. Android lightbulbs that last for years and can tell if you are in the room and turn on/off accordingly. Your entire entertainment center in a packages the size of a usb thumb drive, and running on your big screen tv.

Up to now, google's income has been mostly derived from advertising sales. The new "Play" market will be googles next cash cow once they make it into your home. No growing business ever relies on a single revenue stream, and one the size of google needs dozens if not hundreds to stay on top.

Like the IHome? XD couldn't resist.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

bmxrider234

Banned
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Its mostly competition with apple I just read up on that. They can only go so far with the iphone before they basically turn it into a tablet. Google buying anything that's gonna make them money, like YouTube and gosh knows whatever else they have ties in basically the internet itself. All that money they spending when they should be buying me a jet pack. Just saying :)

bmxrider234

Banned
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh, speaking of other devices there is already a concept car that is android powered, no joke saw that on the news a few months ago. Android will basically take over, security systems more than they do now ;) and cd players for cars which they have now ;) their turning us to robots I knew this was gonna happen eventually:p

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have this concept for an android driven car (more so than just entertainment) so that instead of cruise control, we have a digital interactivee interface where you can just select the speed you want and it accelerates at the proper time. Also it would be like a digital accelerator pedal so that you just slide your finger to speed up or slow down... seems like to me you'd have a little more consistancy in peoples driving speeds with something like a perpetual cruise control.

That said, I don't want google in my life like they want to be:p

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I was greeted by this little upgrade this morning. I guess my phone didn't like the name or the ugly icon :) because it FC'd and wouldn't open back up. Oh well a little tinkering and it's running now!

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, this is annoying. I had a perfectly themed espier launcher, and now my android market icon wont work, I have to use the ugly unthemed play icon.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.2'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
im sure someone will pull the apk apart and theme it.

Nah, I was just talking about how they changed it's activity name, so the custom icon I was using for the market doesn't work anymore.

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Never had an issue before but since upgrade I keep getting connection timed out error. Have to click retry a couple times to get it to load.

Redbaron2005

Jr. Android Developer
Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
As a semi-developer, I know for a FACT the old market has been having problems, maybe not for everyone, but for a large group of people. Where I live I am the Android Master / Repair man, and I have had just about every one of my friends call me up and ask me why their market does this, or doesn't do this, or asking me about error 101, or Applications not installing. Most of the complaints are coming from my custom ROM clients, but a few are just Rooted users, running stock ROM's. So I would say its about time they came out with a market update, There MUST be some fixed issues in this new market, even if it does seem the same.

PS
Installing new market and testing it now.
:p

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
While I hate the new name, I'm kinda loving the new logo.

Redbaron2005

Jr. Android Developer
Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have confirmed it, with lots of tests.
This new market IN-FACT DOES Fix some bugs, and issues with retrieving packages from Google.
I notice that their are no real visual differences, I feel change.
I can't find a change log anywhere, yet I'm positive they fixed some issues.