03-11-2012 12:47 AM
40 12
tools
    I was doing some reading and found out market is being replaced by Play Store. So has anyone besides myself tried this out yet?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-06-2012 07:45 PM
    I haven't received the update yet:sly:

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-06-2012 07:48 PM
    No update for me yet. Just the Google Play Music namechange and updated icon.
    03-06-2012 07:49 PM
    its market 3.4.6 just curious if anyone got the update or if it was for select phones. I found the apk and worked on my OV.

03-06-2012 07:52 PM
    I'm waiting on the update as well. I'm still going to call it Android Market.
    03-06-2012 07:54 PM
    03-06-2012 08:10 PM
    03-06-2012 08:10 PM
    Just installed it... what's the big difference, it looks the same except for the name?
    03-06-2012 08:23 PM
    Along with the changes, Google Books is now Play Books?!?
    03-06-2012 08:33 PM
    It's somewhat stupid, that all this time for no update, and all they did was replace the icon and the name..?
    I mean, sure, they had to change a lot of it to match the new name, but come on...

Anybody else feel like the new name is a little childish? I always thought of the Apple app store as a little childish because of all the stupid apps that would only attract the attention of little kids, but "Google Play" seems a little... out there.

It definitely wasn't expected, lol
    03-06-2012 08:43 PM
    I think google should stop trying to compete with apple on their level and market themselves as the kings of open source instead of this childishness.
    03-06-2012 08:48 PM
    I liked Market. Play is lame.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-06-2012 08:50 PM
    I think google should stop trying to compete with apple on their level and market themselves as the kings of open source instead of this childishness.
    I couldn't agree more! I have never come across a phone that didn't have at least a small group of developers, not to mention all of the independent app devs. Android is so much bigger than an operating system.
    03-06-2012 09:11 PM
    The attempt here is try get a more unique name. The market or the Android App Store sound generic vs iTunes.
    03-06-2012 09:40 PM
    And Play doesn't sound generic?
    03-06-2012 09:51 PM
    First of all I would like to say thanks for posting this, just updated my market. And there a positive side to this update, now we have a couple of 49 cent app
    I also like market better then play!!!
    03-06-2012 10:38 PM
    I got the update almost 4 hours ago. It seems more ICS themed to me...

03-06-2012 10:39 PM
    I got the update almost 4 hours ago. It seems more ICS themed to me...

Exactly what I was thinking, it seems like it was just updated to fit with the new ics look, which can at times look somewhat juvenile (I'M NOT HATING).
    03-06-2012 10:52 PM
    Exactly what I was thinking, it seems like it was just updated to fit with the new ics look, which can at times look somewhat juvenile (I'M NOT HATING).
    I just like the droid on the bottom right.

03-06-2012 10:55 PM
    the only difference I've noticed are the sale items and deal of the day/week/whatever... it still functions the same...
    03-06-2012 10:55 PM
    Just got the update. Looks pretty slick, but that Play Store icon might take a little getting used to.
    03-06-2012 11:43 PM
    I'm pretty sure this is just the begining of changes google is making in order to lay the groundwork for coming into your home in a huge way. In the next two years, you are going to see android explode into devices beyond the phone and tablets. Android refrigerators that can text you when you are low on milk or other products, and allow you to see what you need from the supermarket. Android thermostats that are easily connected to via any device so you can turn the ac up when you are coming home. Android lightbulbs that last for years and can tell if you are in the room and turn on/off accordingly. Your entire entertainment center in a packages the size of a usb thumb drive, and running on your big screen tv.

Up to now, google's income has been mostly derived from advertising sales. The new "Play" market will be googles next cash cow once they make it into your home. No growing business ever relies on a single revenue stream, and one the size of google needs dozens if not hundreds to stay on top.
    03-06-2012 11:59 PM
    I'm pretty sure this is just the begining of changes google is making in order to lay the groundwork for coming into your home in a huge way. In the next two years, you are going to see android explode into devices beyond the phone and tablets. Android refrigerators that can text you when you are low on milk or other products, and allow you to see what you need from the supermarket. Android thermostats that are easily connected to via any device so you can turn the ac up when you are coming home. Android lightbulbs that last for years and can tell if you are in the room and turn on/off accordingly. Your entire entertainment center in a packages the size of a usb thumb drive, and running on your big screen tv.

Up to now, google's income has been mostly derived from advertising sales. The new "Play" market will be googles next cash cow once they make it into your home. No growing business ever relies on a single revenue stream, and one the size of google needs dozens if not hundreds to stay on top.
    Like the IHome? XD couldn't resist.

03-07-2012 12:10 AM
    Its mostly competition with apple I just read up on that. They can only go so far with the iphone before they basically turn it into a tablet. Google buying anything that's gonna make them money, like YouTube and gosh knows whatever else they have ties in basically the internet itself. All that money they spending when they should be buying me a jet pack. Just saying
    03-07-2012 06:30 AM
    Oh, speaking of other devices there is already a concept car that is android powered, no joke saw that on the news a few months ago. Android will basically take over, security systems more than they do now and cd players for cars which they have now their turning us to robots I knew this was gonna happen eventually
    03-07-2012 06:34 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD