03-19-2012 10:46 PM
50 12
tools
    This thread has gotten out of hand.. thank you for the op.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Vishwar and JerryScript like this.
    03-15-2012 06:41 PM
    Can't you root the phone again if you install the update?
    03-15-2012 10:30 PM
    Do you happen to know if there are any worthy changes? It does seem odd they would update at a point where the V would be close if not at the end of it's life. Then again it is their most popular and arguably best phone, asides from the outdated triumph.
    It's the 2.2.2 on the current OV, with a radio update, small security patch and possibly a new dialer. That's it for the most part.

It probably has an updated PRL file too.

I heard that the OTA feature on stock Vs was borked. Hence why LG told me months ago I'd have to send my phone in if I wanted their update :/
    They figured out a way I guess.

Can't you root the phone again if you install the update?
    Current rooting methods do not work.

We can make a package to install this without breaking root, but it will break overclocking, and more than likely all current roms. So basically even if we don't break root, it may break everything else.
    03-15-2012 10:36 PM
    Before any of the threads came out i actually installed this at work. I just copied the update.zip to my sd card and went in through the recovery manager and loaded the update.zip file through this, at first it didnt take so i found this very odd maybe it did and i didnt notice. i made my own custom rooted rom previously. so then i wasl ike how odd it didnt work.... So i went in thru the so called ota updates. well the software update and did it this (about) which it sees update.zip and i updated this to the new firmware which does have updated prl.

As I currently work for a IT security firm I can tell you I find this update important on the other hand if your a rooted user and dont want to loose your root then yes dont run. I have tried several different root methods directly for a short peroid of time (have had time to play uyet) but have tried ginger, z4root, and even just plugged in SU and no avail. I am sure i will just log into the device and find a way to disable the S protection.

I can tell you there is a few changes not just security updates which apply to the browser but also changes in the actuall rom besides browser and the prl, i do have a tad better battery life than the normal non rooted 2.2.1, perhaps about a 10 percent difference but it is noticeable... this is a complete rom so lets say if you manually removed the vm bloatware or used an app like root uninistaller and removed the bloatware it puts it back in.

They have also added google play books into the rom as well... I can also tell you in the previous rom basiclly nothing major done to it, just rooted it, zip aligned, removed bloatware as well as other adjustments i did to my custom rooted rom I was having some serious connectivity issues, not serious but serious to me where the db signal strength was just horrible, -10 and sometimes but its actually a lot more stable perhaps due to updated perl.

So to tell someone to stay away from it, Yes if you want to loose your root. I am no longer a droid nerd no time to crack apps and modify my roms and release those codes like I have done in the past so just fine with it.

If i do find a way to bypass the s-protection I will let ya all know, when i get time I will.

Btw... this is doesnt load the gingerbread interface or anything in case people whop are new to this are asking.

Oh one other note if you have a custom recovery it will wipe this and put it back to defualt as well which has been updated as well when i looiked at the code internally.

Respectfully,

Phrozen Ghost

p.s. no new dialer.... btw
    03-16-2012 04:47 AM
    'tis a shame it won't be working on BumbleBee's kernel.
    03-16-2012 01:03 PM
    I did the update for the simple fact that I'm getting another replacement. Only difference I seen was the baseband. My prl is still the same. And just for a verification, its true it can't be rooted yet with the normal ways of rooting. But it would be a good way to unroot to sell your phone or to go to completely stock.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    theexile1 likes this.
    03-16-2012 01:51 PM
    Thanks Jerry.
    03-17-2012 03:53 AM
    I did the update for the simple fact that I'm getting another replacement. Only difference I seen was the baseband. My prl is still the same. And just for a verification, its true it can't be rooted yet with the normal ways of rooting. But it would be a good way to unroot to sell your phone or to go to completely stock.

Did it replace your recovery. I flashed it on mine too since I'm getting a replacement and it left my recovery. I flashed back to IHO just to see if everything would work with new radio image
    flapjack.fiasco likes this.
    03-17-2012 07:32 AM
    Does this update mean future optimus Vs will be unrootable. Will virgin install this update them self?
    03-17-2012 10:54 AM
    I currently have Stock OV 2.2.1. I'm currently able to use WiFi Hotspot on it.

I see a couple of you saying the security patch updates Stock OV to 2.2.2. Are any of you that installed the update able to use WiFi Hotspot?
    03-17-2012 06:43 PM
    They removed it when 2.2.2 first came out and this replaces your entire rom (saving your settings and data), they aren't going to put it back.

So no, you will NOT be able to use it.
    03-17-2012 06:56 PM
    I currently have Stock OV 2.2.1. I'm currently able to use WiFi Hotspot on it.

I see a couple of you saying the security patch updates Stock OV to 2.2.2. Are any of you that installed the update able to use WiFi Hotspot?
    I'm pretty sure the wifi hotspot feature in PDANET 3.25 should work in stock 2.2.2.
    03-17-2012 09:34 PM
    Did it replace your recovery. I flashed it on mine too since I'm getting a replacement and it left my recovery. I flashed back to IHO just to see if everything would work with new radio image
    yes it returns it back to completely stock with no way to root it as of yet.
    03-17-2012 10:52 PM
    I should have a rooted update.zip to test out tonite or tomorrow. Need volunteers who understand and accept the risk involved.

-- you might brick your phone
    -- you might be stuck with a working but unrootable phone
    -- you might end up with a rooted 2.2.2 phone with a nice new radio

Please do not request to test unless you fall under one of the following categories:

-- you own more than one phone and do not care if you brick your OV
    -- you have already flashed the update.zip, and are willing to risk bricking your phone in order to get root back
    -- you are a risk junky, and can afford to replace your OV

Please post here if you are willing to be a tester, and I will PM you with the details when it is ready.

I will NOT be sorry for anyone who attempts this and bricks their phone. You have been warned.
    03-18-2012 11:07 PM
    i would do itr but ive allready flashes leslies new radio pulled from it
    03-18-2012 11:25 PM
    i would do itr but ive allready flashes leslies new radio pulled from it
    I wouldn't recommend that just yet, unless you fall into one of my above mentioned categories.
    03-18-2012 11:59 PM
    If you do want to try flashing the radio, please read all of LeslieAnn's warnings first, and realize this is a high risk process!
    03-19-2012 04:42 AM
    Does anyone know exactly what the radio upgrade does? I mean, is it to get access in more places? better/ more stable access? faster speeds? If I'm totally off on what a cell radio does, I'd be happy if someone could set me straight.

Sent from my Terrific Toshiba Thrive with Tapatalk.
    03-19-2012 10:42 AM
    Jerry have you flash this radio update/are you??
    03-19-2012 10:48 AM
    I bet vm is pissed off the software here is much better than theirs. Some vm reps are prob sitting in a office somewhere complaing that their froyo software is making more than their gingerbread. I dont get why they made the optimus q guess they wanted more money instead of giving us a update. I'm just glad they didn't push it over the air to automatically install. I truely hope that vm doesn't ship out their new devices with that security thing. Its going to make things difficult for alot of people. If it gave better reception I'd go for it to save battery life but other than that I don't want something that's going to keep me from having control over my phone. I hope u devs can work things out and remove the actual security feature so we can update just the radio. That would be pretty awesome. Figure out how to rewrite the whole process
    03-19-2012 02:01 PM
    Does anyone know exactly what the radio upgrade does? I mean, is it to get access in more places? better/ more stable access? faster speeds? If I'm totally off on what a cell radio does, I'd be happy if someone could set me straight.

Sent from my Terrific Toshiba Thrive with Tapatalk.
    The cell radio is what allows your phone to communicate with the cell tower.

I flashed my phone and to me it seems like I get better call quality and a bit faster 3g. Can't say signal is better but signal is crap in my area anyway.
    03-19-2012 02:04 PM
    Its weird they wouldn't update us to 2.3 so this really means we aren't ever gonna get 2.3 gingerbread on ur phones because this security thing they want us to have would disable any chance to update the os. Their not going to risk pushing a ota and brick everybody. Guess this the end of that. So they try to lock us down and say hey if u want 2.3 u gotta buy it. That's messed up.
    03-19-2012 02:12 PM
    @gearsofwar23

Seriously do you wear a tinfoil hat? Every post has been some sort of conspiracy theory and VM is out to make our phones bad. I see some merit but geebus man. As for pushing it over the air...they did. However most custom roms have removed the ability for it to automatically download and install. I would imagine stock phones were "forced" to take the update. Regarding 2.3 I imagine with ICS out they are loooking at getting phones with it and not too worried about 2.3. For the record carriers and manufacturers are not required to code the new OS for the phone. If they wanted they could say tough buy a new phone. Some of the older first generation phones like the Droid 1 and G1 arent getting a official ICS build. They will have to do with CM9 and custom builds from CM9. Welcome to the world of legacy device mate.
    mustafu likes this.
    03-19-2012 02:29 PM
    Jerry have you flash this radio update/are you??
    Not yet, I like to investigate things as completely as I can before taking a leap of faith.
    Badboytoast likes this.
    03-19-2012 04:59 PM
    If you haven't found a tester for your update zip jerry ill do it.

Just pm me when you have it ready and ill flash away. Can't sleep anyways lol.

JerryScript likes this.
    03-19-2012 10:46 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD