[Warning] Do Not Install Virgin Mobile Security Update!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You will most likely be receiving a message from Virgin Mobile soon, stating that a security update is available for the VM670. You would be wise to avoid it for now!

[WARN]This update will remove root, replace your custom recovery, and install a radio that currently is only known to be compatible with the update it comes with.[/WARN]

Give the devs a week or two to investigate this package, and we might find something useful in it. ;)

[INFO]Note - anyone with a spare OV willing to break their radio, PM me, I'm pretty sure we can flash this new radio without loosing root.[/INFO]

Last edited:

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that a new update has been posted for the V on Virgin's OV page towards the bottom right along with an installation guide. I put it on a stock OV and it updates the phone to 2.2.2 android version. Is this the same security update? Anyone have a change log for the stock ROM?

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that a new update has been posted for the V on Virgin's OV page towards the bottom right along with an installation guide. I put it on a stock OV and it updates the phone to 2.2.2 android version. Is this the same security update? Anyone have a change log for the stock ROM?

Believe it is the update Jerry is talking about, and since it is up on Virgin Mobiles site they well most likely be pushing it to us OTA soon. I say give it a week and we well be seeing people that lost root after installing VM update.

gearsofwar23

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I bet that radio has some type of transmitter to track more of ur data. Either that or its what they will use to help throttle peoples data. I don't see how or why they decide to do something now when they should be updating the rom to gingerbread. That update should be called gingerbreak killer zip cause that's what it does to begin with

gearsofwar23

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Conspiracys,have u installed this yet, as a rom Dec u already know what they can do, buts even more since their backed from the government. Go ahead and install this and see if u don't get ur data hacked by vm and try to reroot ur device. Conspiracy I don't think so its just hard evidence have u ever saw what vm did to the rumor touch through security updates its gonna be the same here to stop people from hacking it. That's the point of it isn't it.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Conspiracys,have u installed this yet, as a rom Dec u already know what they can do, buts even more since their backed from the government. Go ahead and install this and see if u don't get ur data hacked by vm and try to reroot ur device. Conspiracy I don't think so its just hard evidence have u ever saw what vm did to the rumor touch through security updates its gonna be the same here to stop people from hacking it. That's the point of it isn't it.

It restores the device to stock, so yes, it unroots. It's not a conspiracy, almost every company issues updates and breaks root when it does, that was how the phone shipped.

The government was involved with the telephone system from almost the get go, not just cell. Sprint has already said they are removing all traces of the old spyware, which was never installed on the OV anyhow and was a minimal version even when they did install it.

Also, for your information, I have the update and and have already taken much of it apart.

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It restores the device to stock, so yes, it unroots. It's not a conspiracy, almost every company issues updates and breaks root when it does, that was how the phone shipped.

The government was involved with the telephone system from almost the get go, not just cell. Sprint has already said they are removing all traces of the old spyware, which was never installed on the OV anyhow and was a minimal version even when they did install it.

Also, for your information, I have the update and and have already taken much of it apart.

Do you happen to know if there are any worthy changes? It does seem odd they would update at a point where the V would be close if not at the end of it's life. Then again it is their most popular and arguably best phone, asides from the outdated triumph.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I wake up this morning and find this thread created... I love the irony of a warning about something that should (but may not) us. :p

We're so punk... not downloading the security update :smirk: