I recently bought a new phone (Samsung Galaxy s2 Epic touch 4g by sprint...whoa thats a long title) and want to find something else to do with my retired Optimus V.

I was thinking of using it as a stationary music device connected to a pair of desktop Boose speakers I have. Now I know that Android has all of the options that I need for this, but I was wondering if there are any custom ROMS or launchers that 'dumb' down the device (kinda like Car Mode, but just for music. I would only really need Youtube, 'Play Music', amazon MP3 etc, no need for navigation, maps, places, email, calender dialer etc.

Now I could probably just uninstall half of the phone, use only 1 home screen with just these apps, not have a dock, airplane mode with Wifi etc, but it would be nice if there was a one step solution to this. It would be great to have more room for locally stored music on the device (I'm calling it V Music) by not having all of the system apps.

Any ideas?

Edit: FYI I'm using IHO Backside ROM already
    03-16-2012 11:48 AM
    So you wanting to basically strip down an Android os to make it an mp3 player only? ex:no dialer or anything?
    03-16-2012 11:55 AM
    Yeah, is that crazy? I've got so many phones/tablets/laptops/desktop that I feel they would be better used if they were focused on one thing. Wouldn't it run faster/better battery life if there was no dialer, cell standby, gps etc?

I don't have a virgin plan anymore, so maybe the cell standby goes away with no service, but IDK.
    03-16-2012 12:00 PM
    use this post by LeslieAnn
    it outlines what you can remove and what you cant
    03-16-2012 12:25 PM
    Its not crazy, thats what the main idea for Android is. It would run more efficient being focused on fewer things and not having the device run as a phone. I am looking into this myself. Wait and see what the others say, maybe by the end of the day there will be more information on it, I have no job and am learning more and more, so keep our fingers crossed. I know many people have so much technology around that they don't use such as yourself and with the right knowledge and the Android platform it makes it possible to do this.
    03-16-2012 12:26 PM
    use this post by LeslieAnn
    it outlines what you can remove and what you cant
    This looks like it would be immensely helpful. Thanks!

@Discovered

I agree completely. That's why I love android.
    03-16-2012 01:17 PM
    If you don't already have it, Root Uninstaller or some similar app would make getting rid of the unwanted parts of the OS pretty simple.
    03-16-2012 01:23 PM
    I recently bought a new phone (Samsung Galaxy s2 Epic touch 4g by sprint...whoa thats a long title) and want to find something else to do with my retired Optimus V.

I was thinking of using it as a stationary music device connected to a pair of desktop Boose speakers I have. Now I know that Android has all of the options that I need for this, but I was wondering if there are any custom ROMS or launchers that 'dumb' down the device (kinda like Car Mode, but just for music. I would only really need Youtube, 'Play Music', amazon MP3 etc, no need for navigation, maps, places, email, calender dialer etc.

Now I could probably just uninstall half of the phone, use only 1 home screen with just these apps, not have a dock, airplane mode with Wifi etc, but it would be nice if there was a one step solution to this. It would be great to have more room for locally stored music on the device (I'm calling it V Music) by not having all of the system apps.

Any ideas?

03-17-2012 11:26 AM

Any ideas?

Don't "dumb" it down. You have the best phone out there to backup your new phone if something goes wrong. If your new Epic is running the old number from the OV, then it's already been taken off the "active" list with VM.If that's the case,
    then just use the music player that you have in it. I like WinAmp myself but you may have your
    own likes. Uninstall whatever Market available apps you like, leaving the system alone.( make a full backup before you do, you won't regret it) and continue to rock on with the OV. It's a great phone and I think you'll be thankful for keeping it intact!
    03-17-2012 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD