05-10-2012 04:01 PM
937 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    So is it safe to flash the new radio and amphetamines??
    I thought i read that something happened... i wanna flash another ROM and then amphetamines but with the new radio already flashed i'm not sure if i can now
    03-22-2012 09:10 PM
    Thanks for the help guys! Now i wanna know if there have been significant improvements. Who has really seen an obvious difference or is it all just in your head?
    03-22-2012 09:17 PM
    ^^
    Definitely a case of YMMV. Please read posts from the last few days and you will see.
    03-22-2012 10:42 PM
    Yes for about 2-3 months, hardly any reception at work. Calls would be hit or miss throughout the day. Now I am consistently receiving calls, texts, and such at signal is at about -98dbm. I did not change my PRL.
    I never acknowledged this answer to my questions. Sorry about that - and thank you. Good info.
    03-22-2012 10:50 PM
    It works about the same as 3g goes but call quality is better and clearer, remember this isn't 4 g it not going to get light speed or anything like that. Would be awesome to get but only issue I've experienced since flashing it is the signal status bar seems to have a fit and switches back and forth from the 4 bar one to the one with lots of lil bars. Not sure how to correct that small issue.
    03-22-2012 10:51 PM
    Is this an actual new radio update, or is this the radio that comes with the 2.2.2 Optimus V?

Maybe this is why some people see an improvement, while others don't?
    I meant to comment on this but it got lost.

This could very well be the case or close to it.
    It could be that the update only updates a few apps for newer models, or is just a minor radio update, while the older phones are seeing more because itos a bigger jump for them.
    03-23-2012 01:03 AM
    Is it possible to pull the radio image from a phone? I have an "old" OV and I'd love to see what the baseband looks like.

Also, also folks could check their baseband version, then we could start to correlate versions with improved performance. There should be a way to do that but perhaps its not working correctly in custom ROMs.

I read that the older OVs came with ZV4 and the newer ones came with ZV5. And this update appears to be ZV9. If that matches the Sprint OS version numbering, we are still far behind. I think they are currently on ZVH with their GB update.
    03-23-2012 01:44 AM
    Did Sprint ever actually fix the GB update on the S? I recall they pulled it because it was hardcore borked?
    03-23-2012 01:47 AM
    Is it possible to pull the radio image from a phone? I have an "old" OV and I'd love to see what the baseband looks like.

Also, also folks could check their baseband version, then we could start to correlate versions with improved performance. There should be a way to do that but perhaps its not working correctly in custom ROMs.

I read that the older OVs came with ZV4 and the newer ones came with ZV5. And this update appears to be ZV9. If that matches the Sprint OS version numbering, we are still far behind. I think they are currently on ZVH with their GB update.
    Mine was definitely ZV4.
    When you flash that number stays since something in the rom tells the radio in the about window, just as we can name the rom.

I think almost every rom we have will say ZV4, the only way to see the original is on a non-rom'd new phone.
    03-23-2012 02:34 AM
    Sprint never fixed their gingerbread issue, they prob figure its best to let the optimus s go and worry about the next generation of smartphones. Their competition is Verizon so they can't really put their focus on a older phone their looking for future releases..
    03-23-2012 02:59 AM
    $4799.40 is how much a 5 yr unlimited contract would cost with sprint that's more than the car I've had for 3 years lol just some fun facts. I hope Verizon buys virgin mobile so we can run off their better network. O.o but back on the subject of this radio its pretty good and blows the stock out the water. Never know till u try it results may vary O.o
    03-23-2012 03:26 AM
    Oh boy, I flashed this using the IHO Recovery and the latest Harmonia ROM. When the OV gets done booting and I get past my lockscreen a window pops up saying " The android.phone process unexpectedly terminated" every second or so after I close that window, the 3g icon was greyed out and obviously was not getting a signal. Plus WiFi doesn't work saying there's an "error".
    Now I don't get that popup any more cause the only fix was to put it in airplane mode. Now I find out I can't get it out of airplane mode. I untick the box in settings and I also have an icon on the pulldown bar which does nothing.
    I wiped, re installed, changed ROM's and nothing yet.
    Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.
    03-23-2012 04:46 PM
    ^^
    Just for starters, I would double-wipe cache and dalvik, the reboot and let it simmer for 10 mins to rebuild everything.

I know this radio update shouldn't affect the ROM, but a bit of spring cleaning couldn't hurt.

If the problem persists, I would try to flash the radio update again. There's no going back anyways...
    mysticalnyte and Syntax357 like this.
    03-23-2012 05:12 PM
    I'll try it right now again hoping it fixes it.
    I don't think it's affecting the ROM in general, the ".phone" process of it or the data connectivity.

EDIT: "Sorry! The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again [Forceclose]." is the correct error message.

EDITv2: 3g icon is still greyed out. But when I go into settings>wireless the airplane mode box is checked but there isn't the "airplane" symbol in the staus bar just the greyed out 3g icon. If I untick the airplane mode box it'll act like it's reverting but the process takes about 40 seconds and comes back ticked in the box...
    Damn, I need my phone for work...

I only see two processes running: DSP Manager and Android Keyboard. Lockscreen message says "(No Service)" as well.

Good news is there's no popup box happening...
    03-23-2012 05:23 PM
    I'll try it right now again hoping it fixes it.
    I don't think it's affecting the ROM in general, the ".phone" process of it or the data connectivity.

EDIT: "Sorry! The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again [Forceclose]." is the correct error message.

EDITv2: 3g icon is still greyed out. But when I go into settings>wireless the airplane mode box is checked but there isn't the "airplane" symbol in the staus bar just the greyed out 3g icon. If I untick the airplane mode box it'll act like it's reverting but the process takes about 40 seconds and comes back ticked in the box...

I only see two processes running: DSP Manager and Android Keyboard. Lockscreen message says "(No Service)" as well.

Good news is there's no popup box happening...
    I flashed and am running the new radio without trouble on backside rom. I used Bobzhome recovery

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-23-2012 06:13 PM
    Restart the phone, it will probably restore 3g.

If not, flash Harmonia 1 and run Activate.

I had the FC situation at one point as well, but it was because I was testing the rom update at the same time.
    Hondanut and mysticalnyte like this.
    03-23-2012 06:17 PM
    I flashed this update last night and the calls do sound clearer, no 3g or wifi issues with xiona recovery and backside iho rom. I also changed my prl a few days ago from 61007 to 60685 which is from my buddy's sprint phone, seem to have less dead spots than before. Overall happy with this phone and the service, and this site is also a must for droid users.
    03-23-2012 08:25 PM
    hey i have a brand new optimus v version 2.2.1/sw version zv5 and inferior human organs recovery v4.0.1.4.3 has any body flash vm9 update patch with any problem..and on side note will this possible work for triumph?
    03-23-2012 09:39 PM
    hey i have a brand new optimus v version 2.2.1/sw version zv5 and inferior human organs recovery v4.0.1.4.3 has any body flash vm9 update patch with any problem..and on side note will this possible work for triumph?
    If the Optimus V and the Triumph has the same exact radio, then yes, it will work IMHO. I doubt it though and I would wait for the experts, such as Whyzor, to post something on the Triumph forums about it. If it worked, I imagine someone there would have it already.
    03-23-2012 09:57 PM
    Flashing the radio for a different phone = brick

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk
    JerryScript likes this.
    03-23-2012 10:35 PM
    Restart the phone, it will probably restore 3g.

If not, flash Harmonia 1 and run Activate.

I had the FC situation at one point as well, but it was because I was testing the rom update at the same time.
    This worked and got my phone back up. Thanks again LeslieAnn, you're a sweet heart once again!
    LeslieAnn likes this.
    03-24-2012 09:02 AM
    This worked and got my phone back up.
    Thanks for the update. Glad you got it working. So the good old Activate trick did it again ;-)
    mysticalnyte likes this.
    03-24-2012 09:26 AM
    Oh boy, I flashed this using the IHO Recovery and the latest Harmonia ROM. When the OV gets done booting and I get past my lockscreen a window pops up saying " The android.phone process unexpectedly terminated" every second or so after I close that window, the 3g icon was greyed out and obviously was not getting a signal. Plus WiFi doesn't work saying there's an "error".
    Now I don't get that popup any more cause the only fix was to put it in airplane mode. Now I find out I can't get it out of airplane mode. I untick the box in settings and I also have an icon on the pulldown bar which does nothing.
    I wiped, re installed, changed ROM's and nothing yet.
    Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.
    I see you restarted and got the phone to work. Another option if this continues is to boot to recovery>advnaced>fix permissions.

Sometimes when flashing something it will goof up the permission setting. 90% of the time it is easy to fix other times you will need to reflash a rom to get it working.
    mysticalnyte likes this.
    03-24-2012 01:51 PM
    If the Optimus V and the Triumph has the same exact radio, then yes, it will work IMHO. I doubt it though and I would wait for the experts, such as Whyzor, to post something on the Triumph forums about it. If it worked, I imagine someone there would have it already.
    No.

It will not work.

Please, read before giving someone such a lethal recommendation.
    03-24-2012 09:16 PM
    Has anybody as performed a documented test to show that this procedure really improves radio performance? I have read the thread and I am kind of confused by results. Thanks!
    03-24-2012 11:46 PM
937 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD