05-10-2012 04:01 PM
937 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    I'm convinced that my flash of the radio update using CWM Recovery 3.2.0.1 took. I've driven around the area with two OV's with identical roms. The first time around, only one phone was flashed and it always had the same number of bars or as many as 2 more, never less. It never lost 3g where was the unflashed phone totally lost 3g on a few occasions. After flashing the second phone and going back through the same route, I can see that the phones now usually have the same number of bars with either phone occasionally having an extra bar, which is what you would normally expect to see of two identical phones. I don't know how to read QPST but it doesn't matter to me. I have two phones that are now getting a better signal since flashing the radio update.
    04-04-2012 02:11 PM
    I'm convinced that my flash of the radio update using CWM Recovery 3.2.0.1 took. I've driven around the area with two OV's with identical roms. The first time around, only one phone was flashed and it always had the same number of bars or as many as 2 more, never less. It never lost 3g where was the unflashed phone totally lost 3g on a few occasions. After flashing the second phone and going back through the same route, I can see that the phones now usually have the same number of bars with either phone occasionally having an extra bar, which is what you would normally expect to see of two identical phones. I don't know how to read QPST but it doesn't matter to me. I have two phones that are now getting a better signal since flashing the radio update.
    A matter of inches in relation to phone placement can improve / hurt signal strength (hell, a variation of 5-15 degrees rotation can mean signal or no signal for me sometimes.) Not trying to argue, but it seems evidence is pointing to these radio flashes not taking. Someone smarter than me can diagnose this further, of course, I thought I was getting better signal too, but I didn't realize that before I flashed, I was "accepting" where I got signal and where I didn't, so I never tried to use it like I do now, when I very well might have been able to all along.
    04-04-2012 02:20 PM
    Check the file I mentioned, it will let you know if the change took.

/sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/build_id
    04-04-2012 03:36 PM
    I looked at the phone in QPST.
    I have flashed mine with nearly all of the update.. all but recovery, and in the phone it showed ZV9 and in QPST it showed ZV4.

When I hook up my Evo to QPST, it does NOT show the radio, it gives a software build number, but while that relates to the phones firmware, it does not necessarily equal the radio. In the Evo, you have the firmware, the Hboot, and then 2 different radios, all of which can be flashed separately.

So basically, as far as I'm concerned I think, the radio is flashing, if it was doing nothing, we would not have gotten any bricks. Second, people are seeing differences in reception and call quality even when qpst shows zv4. These are not wishful thinking, this is happening, so while there is the possibility that not ALL of the radio is flashing, it is flashing enough to do something. It's probably just not flashing a file that changes the radio ID tag.
    04-04-2012 03:40 PM
    I have done the followings
    - did a nandroid backup from IHO recovery
    - flashed the VM update with IHO recovery after a clean wipe,
    - rebooted into stock 2.2.2 Android
    - applied the update from stock recovery again
    - rebooted and rooted again with Gordita method
    - installed IHO recovery
    - rebooted into IHO recovery and restored my nandroid backup.

I am back at the same stone but this time with ZV9 baseband as you can see the screenshots below with MiRaGe 04032012 build. The first screenshot is after flashing just the radio update with the IHO recovery which did not go through. The second is after the above procedure.

I had tested the original flash update in this thread with two phones as I had posted earlier in this thread. The other phone is still ZV4 and running the same MiRaGe build. I have done the exact test and the result is the same (see the link) with this proper radio update.
    Dannemand and RyanJKremer like this.
    04-04-2012 03:54 PM
    mrg, can you specify specifically which files you were flashing? the full update.zip each time? or the ones LeslieAnn posted?
    04-04-2012 04:00 PM
    mrg, can you specify specifically which files you were flashing? the full update.zip each time? or the ones LeslieAnn posted?
    Do a nandroid first before doing anything.
    After the nandroid, full update two times. First from IHO recovery, second from stock recovery.
    After this, Gordita root and restore the nandroid finally.

Plan ahead and prepare the files required for Gordita root before starting.
    04-04-2012 04:04 PM
    Do a nandroid first before doing anything.
    After the nandroid, full update two times. First from IHO recovery, second from stock recovery.
    After this, Gordita root and restore the nandroid finally.

Plan ahead and prepare the files required for Gordita root before starting.
    This is the procedure I had to do to get the radio update. I used cdma workshop to verify my version of ZV5 and tried flashing Leslie's patch a couple times using BobZ and Xionia recoveries with no change to version noted in CDMA Workshop. Tried to flash full update once with same result. Finally flashed full update twice and it is now showing ZV9 in CDMA workshop

The build_id file is also showing the updated ZV9 radio
    JerryScript, mrg666 and Dannemand like this.
    04-04-2012 04:17 PM
    This is the procedure I had to do to get the radio update. I used cdma workshop to verify my version of ZV5 and tried flashing Leslie's patch a couple times using BobZ and Xionia recoveries with no change to version noted in CDMA Workshop. Tried to flash full update once with same result. Finally flashed full update twice and it is now showing ZV9 in CDMA workshop

The build_id file is also showing the updated ZV9 radio
    I have also seen that the first flash from IHO recovery does not change the radio baseband, the second flash from the stock recovery flashes the radio image as well.
    JerryScript and Dannemand like this.
    04-04-2012 05:06 PM
    I tried to flash the radio right after vm released the update using my own zip (which was the same as the one posted here), noticed no difference.

Today, after checking the file Jerry mentioned and noticing it still said zv5, I did pretty much the same thing mrg666 did. And now I get an extra bar of signal at home! And its reported as zv9.
    I'm assuming the iho recovery ignores the radio update, while cwmt somehow bricks instead.
    JerryScript and Dannemand like this.
    04-04-2012 05:18 PM
    I tried to flash the radio right after vm released the update using my own zip (which was the same as the one posted here), noticed no difference.

Today, after checking the file Jerry mentioned and noticing it still said zv5, I did pretty much the same thing mrg666 did. And now I get an extra bar of signal at home! And its reported as zv9.
    I'm assuming the iho recovery ignores the radio update, while cwmt somehow bricks instead.
    Xionia fails as well.
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-04-2012 05:23 PM
    I noticed when flashing the update via stock recovery that after flashing the update and selecting reboot a message comes up briefly about flashing radio image. This message didn't appear on any other recovery. Not sure if this means anything but just an observation
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-04-2012 06:10 PM
    I noticed when flashing the update via stock recovery that after flashing the update and selecting reboot a message comes up briefly about flashing radio image. This message didn't appear on any other recovery. Not sure if this means anything but just an observation
    That was my observation as well.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-04-2012 06:16 PM
    That was my observation as well.

So can I just flash the old recovery, flash the radio update, and then reboot and flash back my old recovery?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-04-2012 06:20 PM
    This made a big improvement in my 3G speeds. But to be fair, I was getting terrible speeds before. Around 130-150kbps and now I just ran speedtest and got 296kbps down and 255kbps up. So that roughly doubled for me. But I also hit the 2.5gb cap over a week ago. Only takes me a day or two. Thanks everyone of you people for all you do.
    04-04-2012 06:26 PM
    So can I just flash the old recovery, flash the radio update, and then reboot and flash back my old recovery?

Not at this time, the old recovery is installed from the boot.img included in the update. I'll see if it can be pulled, till then, you'll need to do a nandroid backup, flash the update once, reboot, then flash it again from the stock installation, then Gordita Root, then restore your nandroid backup.
    04-04-2012 07:23 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question.. You want to flash stock recovery flash leslies zip then Flash iho recovery back?

04-04-2012 07:29 PM
    I'm not sure I understand the question.. You want to flash stock recovery flash leslies zip then Flash iho recovery back?
    Yeah, that was option (2) of the four I listed the other day - requiring LeslieAnn's radio update to be renamed to update.zip.

I was considering this, but I am now resigned to doing the whole shebang (twice) and re-root.

I am thinking VMU did something to the recovery included in the update.zip to allow that radio flash - that's why it only flashes after the update has competed, upon reboot.
    04-04-2012 07:43 PM
    I have also seen that.
    04-04-2012 07:47 PM
    Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw that message on the donor phone when I originally flashed the security update to it. Not positive, but almost.
    04-04-2012 07:49 PM
    Yeah, that was option (2) of the four I listed the other day - requiring LeslieAnn's radio update to be renamed to update.zip.

I was considering this, but I am now resigned to doing the whole shebang (twice) and re-root.

I am thinking VMU did something to the recovery included in the update.zip to allow that radio flash - that's why it only flashes after the update has competed, upon reboot.
    I just don't know if renaming it to update.zip would be enough to make it work on stock recovery... I'm thinking not or the easiest root ever would be to rename a custom rom and flash it on stock recovery

Dannemand likes this.
    04-04-2012 07:56 PM
    I can definately confirm seeing that "flashing radio" message. I actually had to flash the update several times beacuse it kept getting stuck in a bootloop after rebooting from the stock recovery, and it told me it flashed the radio each time.

And if you're having the same issue I did (bootloops), the update flashed correctly after I wiped completely in stock recovery about 5 or 6 times in quick sucession.
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-04-2012 08:02 PM
    I just don't know if renaming it to update.zip would be enough to make it work on stock recovery... I'm thinking not or the easiest root ever would be to rename a custom rom and flash it on stock recovery
    That too. Plus, as I said, I'm thinking maybe it needs the new stock recovery in order to properly flash the radio. That's why I'm resigned to doing the whole shebang.

Edit: regarding renaming LeslieAnn's radio update and flashing it with the old stock recovery: we're only talking about renaming it back to what is was called originally (update.zip). Still, that's not what I'll be doing - though I'd be curious to hear from anyone who did.
    04-04-2012 08:06 PM
    I just updated my wife's phone and I can also confirm that message. She wishes to remain stock. I plan to install update and reroot tonight.
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-04-2012 08:21 PM
    I tried using the BACKside Updater utility to flash back the original stock recovery image. I then renamed the OP's zip to "update.zip" and tried to install it. But it errors out with an invalid signature. And as this is the stock recovery, I can't easily disable that. If anyone was wondering...
    04-04-2012 09:33 PM
937 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD