05-10-2012 04:01 PM
937 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I recommend you flash the update, boot up, do a factory reset, flash the update again, then root it.
    04-06-2012 07:52 PM
    I recommend you flash the update, boot up, do a factory reset, flash the update again, then root it.
    I want to flash this radio update correctly but I'm lost. I'm running xionia recovery and my phone is already rooted, what are the steps exactly?

Also my phone is using the newer screen.
    pcr3 likes this.
    04-06-2012 07:57 PM
    If you can wait till tomorrow, I'm writing up a tutorial on the most painless way to do this. I'll be posting it here, and over at AF (my primary forum)

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk
    Dave Begue and thewraith420 like this.
    04-06-2012 08:35 PM
    I want to flash this radio update correctly but I'm lost. I'm running xionia recovery and my phone is already rooted, what are the steps exactly?

Also my phone is using the newer screen.
    Well you can flash the radio-only update that LeslieAnn posted on the OP - which won't affect your current ROM or anything else. You should use IHO/Bobzhome recovery, dunno about xionia. Do NOT use Touch or Multi-ROM recovery or you may brick.

Problem is there is some doubt whether that radio-update really takes, because it doesn't show as updated afterwards when checking the radio version. Wraith discovered this and has been leading the investigation. Could be just the version tag that never updates (but the radio itself does) or maybe the whole thing is just placebo.

If you want to be sure, you have to install the complete update that VMU posted. There is a link a few pages back in this thread. If you're on a custom ROM and/or recovery, you have to install it twice to be sure.

The steps have been posted many times the last few days. mrg666 posted a nice check list a few pages back. Doing this will wipe everything (ROM, recovery, root) and requires a factory reset first (wipes data). So nandroid first.

After this, you have to root again, using jcase's Gordita exploit posted by Jerry in a separate thread here.

Wow, that was more Swyping than I intended ;-)

Edit: or you can wait another day for brotherswing's writeup. Probably a good idea...
    04-06-2012 08:43 PM
    I'll definitely wait for brother swings tutorial for sure,.thanks guys
    04-06-2012 09:00 PM
    I plan to investigate this just as soon as I get a spare OV or OS. I'm gonna run the update under strace and try to find out how the radio partition is unlocked so that we can update it and pull our original radio images.

If anyone has a spare OV or OS please PM me. I'm not gonna mess up my main phone doing this.
    04-06-2012 09:10 PM
    I plan to investigate this just as soon as I get a spare OV or OS. I'm gonna run the update under strace and try to find out how the radio partition is unlocked so that we can update it and pull our original radio images.

If anyone has a spare OV or OS please PM me. I'm not gonna mess up my main phone doing this.
    I can't believe none of the phones already pledged for you came through yet. The radio was always this black hole; if you can crack it that would be great for us all. Keep asking in various threads, don't be shy. I'll steer potential donors your way if I see them.
    04-06-2012 10:01 PM
    @brotherswing very cool! I've actually been feeling like this discussion needs its own thread. If I can help with anything let me know.

@tdm that'd be awesome! Doing the whole vm update works but is a pretty big hassle for only a marginal gain. I'll look forward to your findings.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-06-2012 10:17 PM
    I can't believe none of the phones already pledged for you came through yet. The radio was always this black hole; if you can crack it that would be great for us all. Keep asking in various threads, don't be shy. I'll steer potential donors your way if I see them.
    One was sent but misaddressed. It is presumably going to make it here in the next week. The other is from an admitted procrastinator. No idea if or when it will be shipped.
    Dannemand likes this.
    04-06-2012 10:45 PM
    AFAIK, there has only been the one phone donated by Dave, and it already has the radio flashed to it, so it can't be used for this, We need one that doesn't have the radio flashed yet.
    04-06-2012 10:48 PM
    AFAIK, there has only been the one phone donated by Dave, and it already has the radio flashed to it, so it can't be used for this, We need one that doesn't have the radio flashed yet.
    I think I could use an updated phone for this. I just want to run strace on the update binary.
    04-06-2012 10:52 PM
    One was sent but misaddressed. It is presumably going to make it here in the next week. The other is from an admitted procrastinator. No idea if or when it will be shipped.
    Ok, I see. At least it sounds like one is on its way. I hope so.
    04-06-2012 11:22 PM
    I remember two different members who indicated they would donate. Probably one of them is the one that's on its way to tdm.
    JerryScript likes this.
    04-06-2012 11:25 PM
    I think I could use an updated phone for this. I just want to run strace on the update binary.
    I haven't flashed the radio on my personal OV yet, just on the donor phone and on my sister-in-laws. I can run the tests you need on my personal OV.

I emailed you about this, just posting here so everyone knows we are on it.
    Dannemand and thewraith420 like this.
    04-07-2012 12:10 AM
    OK, it's official: After updating my phone with the VMU update.zip (twice) and getting the ZV9 baseband, I now have stability problems and occasional reboots. Once after cycling airplane mode, twice after sending SMS -- both tasks involve the radio. No OC.

Previously my phone has been a rock of stability on mrg666's excellent MiRaGe ROM; something has definitely changed.

I committed the cardinal sin of updating my PRL from stock shortly after the update, so I don't know for sure which change is causing this. Only ever mess with one thing at a time, guys! I doubt that a PRL change can cause reboots, but of course QPST could have screwed up other things.

I have yet to try a complete re-install. I was hoping to avoid that, but that's probably next.

Could those of you who've seen similar problems after the radio update (standalone or full update) let me know if you are on stock PRL? That would help me isolate. Thanks a lot!
    04-07-2012 01:31 PM
    I've seen some freezing issues out of my phone since update. This usually only occurs when I'm using data. Was thinking it was a bad backup I restored after doing the update and rooting. Been meaning to wipe and start over to see if it fixes it.
    04-07-2012 02:20 PM
    flashed without issues it would appear. cant really see a difference just yet. but will monitor usage,etc.
    04-07-2012 02:26 PM
    I wrote a little tutorial on how to do this. You can find it here.
    04-07-2012 02:34 PM
    i would say my data speed has increased by atleast double what it was. the bars haven't but i dont think personally my bars indicator is always accurate.. here's my speed test result. ran it a couple times to get an overall result.Attachment 23296
    04-07-2012 02:44 PM
    if those cant be read...they look funky..im using ac app to upload..it uploaded my screens that way..
    04-07-2012 02:47 PM
    @kwknott, @curtis1973: Did you also change your PRL at any point? If you're unsure, you probably didn't.

Thanks
    04-07-2012 02:47 PM
    no change in prl. just flashed zip and rebooted.
    Dannemand likes this.
    04-07-2012 02:50 PM
    OK, it's official: After updating my phone with the VMU update.zip (twice) and getting the ZV9 baseband, I now have stability problems and occasional reboots. Once after cycling airplane mode, twice after sending SMS -- both tasks involve the radio. No OC.

Previously my phone has been a rock of stability on mrg666's excellent MiRaGe ROM; something has definitely changed.

I committed the cardinal sin of updating my PRL from stock shortly after the update, so I don't know for sure which change is causing this. Only ever mess with one thing at a time, guys! I doubt that a PRL change can cause reboots, but of course QPST could have screwed up other things.

I have yet to try a complete re-install. I was hoping to avoid that, but that's probably next.

Could those of you who've seen similar problems after the radio update (standalone or full update) let me know if you are on stock PRL? That would help me isolate. Thanks a lot!
    Im using prl 60685. had some reboots yesterday havent had any today yet. I did a full update.
    Dannemand likes this.
    04-07-2012 02:55 PM
    fixed speed test screenshot
    04-07-2012 02:58 PM
    no change in prl. just flashed zip and rebooted.
    So you did the radio-only update, right? Have you been able to verify that you're on VZ9?

Thanks again
    04-07-2012 03:00 PM
937 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD