05-10-2012 03:01 PM
937 ... 2223242526 ...
tools
    2.2.1 as well. Bought in Feb 2011.
    04-10-2012 01:26 PM
    Thanks a lot, mrg666, that takes that one off the table. So much for my hunches

I absolutely believe you that some (hopefully most) users are not having any issues, which would point to flash errors -- as always. The only reason I've raised this is because those who ARE having issues all seem to hit them at the exact same tasks involving the radio. As I mentioned before, it's not the same old issues (including random ones) that we're used to seeing in the IHO thread.

For my part, I am one of your greatest fans, and I am not in the habit of whining about stability or bugs -- as I hope you'll agree. I approach my updating conservatively, and I know where to look when things get wonky. This one just has a different and more consistent smell to it.

All that said, my latest fresh MiRaGe install today actually DOES seem to be stable -- after doing my third full VMU update (twice, of course, with factory wipe before both, as I did the other times). At least I've not been able to reproduce reboots or extreme SMS delays yet.

Of course my focus now is to try and see if I can reproduce the issues again. I still believe there is a reason why a larger percentage than usual experience the exact same radio related issues after making this radio update.

Thanks again!
    I tried your test because you have been a dependable forum member. I am glad that the problem seems to be gone on your side. I think we are pushing these poor little phones a little too hard. Leave it alone for a while.

There is nothing beneficial in this update for us; proprietary files and radio update are both useless for the CM7 users. I had tested the radio update when nothing was actually flashed. There was no difference. I have tested the new radio again after we really could flash the radio. There is still no difference. The only thing we had to take care was rooting it. IMHO, we are done with this update and someone should close this thread and put an "avoid this update" notice in the OP. It did not bring anything other than trouble.
    JerryScript and demoport like this.
    04-10-2012 01:37 PM
    I tried your test because you have been a dependable forum member. I am glad that the problem seems to be gone on your side. I think we are pushing these poor little phones a little too hard. Leave it alone for a while.

There is nothing beneficial in this update for us; proprietary files and radio update are both useless for the CM7 users. I had tested the radio update when nothing was actually flashed. There was no difference. I have tested the new radio again after we really could flash the radio. There is still no difference. The only thing we had to take care was rooting it. IMHO, we are done with this update and someone should close this thread and put an "avoid this update" notice in the OP. It did not bring anything other than trouble.
    I can definitely agree that from a support point of view, we'd all wish this update never existed. And I agree with a big warning in the OP.

Keep in mind, though, that these phones vary in how good their radios are, and the promise of ANY radio improvement is very alluring for those of us with weak radios. My wife and I got OVs on the same day and she always consistently had better connection, fewer dropouts, more speed than me. In every other way, my phone is far more stable that hers. I think I am getting better signal after the update -- though not dramatically.

Also, I'd like to keep this thread open a little while longer -- though I understand the burden it puts on you devs. There are still members here who have stability problems after installing the update, and just as we want to help people who inadvertently bricked their phones, I want to try and nail this one. I am happy to simply report back to you devs if and when we find something more conclusively, so you don't have to respond to every post here.

BTW, after restoring my latest MiRaGe nandroid, I was able to reproduce the reboot with about 10 cycles of the airplane mode/SMS test. So it doesn't appear that the the latest run of update.zip is what made the difference. I am now trying different nandroids to try and isolate.

Thanks again. As always!
    04-10-2012 02:26 PM
    Reboots aside, I have noticed an improvement in call quality. When I flashed the security update, I didnt do a full wipe between the first and second flash. I suppose I'll go through the process again.
    04-10-2012 02:27 PM
    Well I havehad no stability problems UNTILL I just decided to send myself a text after reading about its a way to reproduce the problem and as fast as I could hit the send button bam reboot. Really strange as this is my first issue to do with the update. Before trying I was going on 20 hours of uptime

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-10-2012 02:51 PM
    Well I havehad no stability problems UNTILL I just decided to send myself a text after reading about its a way to reproduce the problem and as fast as I could hit the send button bam reboot. Really strange as this is my first issue to do with the update. Before trying I was going on 20 hours of uptime
    Maybe that's the culprit -- sending messages to oneself when one has better things to do
    04-10-2012 02:56 PM
    At the moment I'm not able to reproduce this again

04-10-2012 02:59 PM
    On my phone and my sister-in-law's, just flashing your radio update zip did not work (based on the value of the soc0/build_id).

Have I missed something that shows it being flashed successfully within recovery? You know I like hot-sauce if you make me eat my words!
    I'm not saying you are wrong, and you are probably right, but I'm saying I'm not 100% convinced.
    As for the file, as mentioned before it may be that the update isn't installing everything, or it could be something else triggering that.

That file showing the old radio is probably the best evidence, the CDMA thing is wrong though. It still doesn't explain people getting sudden changes in reception and call quality. And no, it's not just in their head, something has changed.

Maybe the factory recovery flashes outside and others do not. We flash Evo 4G radio updates from recovery and from Hboot so it can certainly be done.
    04-10-2012 02:59 PM
    After doing the full update and re-rooting, I can say the only difference I've noticed is my GPS seems to lock on much faster. I'm trying to figure out if it's related, logic tells me I'm imagining it, yet I can't think of any other explanation.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk
    04-10-2012 03:26 PM
    Just a thought has anyone tried to reproduce these problems on ICS or Froyo?

04-10-2012 03:28 PM
    After doing the full update and re-rooting, I can say the only difference I've noticed is my GPS seems to lock on much faster. I'm trying to figure out if it's related, logic tells me I'm imagining it, yet I can't think of any other explanation.
    Funny, I had the opposite experience Sunday when (after the update) I almost couldn't get my GPS to lock on. Probably co-incidence...

Just a thought has anyone tried to reproduce these problems on ICS or Froyo?
    I downloaded the latest quattrimus AOKP alpha 8 with the intent of testing if I can reproduce on it. But only after I'm done with IHO/MiRage testing. Hopefully tomorrow.

Edit: And Froyo: As mentioned this morning, I was NOT able to reproduce any reboots, instabity or other problems on the updated stock ROM. Others reported the same.
    04-10-2012 03:39 PM
    Funny, I had the opposite experience Sunday when (after the update) I almost couldn't get my GPS to lock on. Probably co-incidence...

I downloaded the latest quattrimus AOKP alpha 8 with the intent of testing if I can reproduce on it. But only after I'm done with IHO/MiRage testing. Hopefully tomorrow.

Edit: And Froyo: As mentioned this morning, I was NOT able to reproduce any reboots, instabity or other problems on the updated stock ROM. Others reported the same.
    Sorry I should have been more specific. I ment custom Froyo roms

Dannemand likes this.
    04-10-2012 03:47 PM
    There is nothing beneficial in this update for us; proprietary files and radio update are both useless for the CM7 users. IMHO, we are done with this update and someone should close this thread and put an "avoid this update" notice in the OP. It did not bring anything other than trouble.
    I have to disagree with this. I stated earlier I think people are clueless at how important having this update zip is. This now gives people a way to go back to a unrooted official stock rom.

I also dont think it should be closed. The only problems it created were initially from people using a incompatible recovery. Once those issues were ironed out and people were properly updating I dont think we have had any verifiable issues other than then reboots.

As for not getting any real improvements this can only be done by updating and testing during the same time of day and placement of the phone. Because the phone operates on a radio frequency the outside conditions would need to be similar also.
    04-10-2012 03:54 PM
    I have to disagree with this. I stated earlier I think people are clueless at how important having this update zip is. This now gives people a way to go back to a unrooted official stock rom.

I also dont think it should be closed. The only problems it created were initially from people using a incompatible recovery. Once those issues were ironed out and people were properly updating I dont think we have had any verifiable issues other than then reboots.

As for not getting any real improvements this can only be done by updating and testing during the same time of day and placement of the phone. Because the phone operates on a radio frequency the outside conditions would need to be similar also.
    Flashing the full update from VM returns the phone back to stock, not the zip file thats in the OP, so I don't see the point in flashing a zip file that you can't verify its successful installation and risk users bricking their phones over it.

Unless you can verify the successful installation of the zip file posted in the OP, this thread is only creating problems for the community over something that doesn't even seem like an upgrade.
    04-10-2012 04:33 PM
    I think everybody is aware of this. I have saved the update.zip for that exact same purpose in a directory. Will I ever need to do this? I don't think so. Maybe for reactivation but this can be done with Harmonia 1.x as well. It might be useul for development/tracing purposes but this is not applicable to the users. Warranty purpose? I don't think it is that honest to send the phone back to VM after screwing around this much. See the disclaimer section here. That was the deal all along. Remember, we picked the blue pill and there is no way back. I believe it is still useless. I would throw this phone away instead of going back to stock ROM.
    04-10-2012 04:50 PM
    BTW, after restoring my latest MiRaGe nandroid, I was able to reproduce the reboot with about 10 cycles of the airplane mode/SMS test. So it doesn't appear that the the latest run of update.zip is what made the difference. I am now trying different nandroids to try and isolate.
    There is probably a leak in the code that comes from CM7. Stop torturing your phone
    04-10-2012 05:03 PM
    There is probably a leak in the code that comes from CM7. Stop torturing your phone
    Mrg is like the PETA of the ov. Or the PETOV as I like to call it.

04-10-2012 05:45 PM
    @demoport this thread has transformed into a discussion about the full update zip and the radio update LeslieAnn put together.

@mrg666 if somebody wanted to say I dunno sell the phone and the person didnt want anyting but stock so they could root. There is many reasons this is still a valuable thing to have. Also warranty replacements like curiousnoobs his sdcard mounter stopped working. It was a mechanical failure so he had a legitimate warranty claim. There are other valid reasons to return to stock.

I still disagree this update zip has not create anymore problems than any normal update does. If new phones being sent out for warranty replacements have this update have it installed it will need to be addressed at some point. Closing this thread only masks and hides the fact there are phones having issues. I dont think I need to bring up how every phone is different.
    04-10-2012 05:49 PM
    Everyone here makes valid points, so how about a compromise? Close this thread, since the radio only flash obviously won't work, and start a new one for the topic of the update itself and it's impact on our phones?

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    04-10-2012 07:26 PM
    Everyone here makes valid points, so how about a compromise? Close this thread, since the radio only flash obviously won't work, and start a new one for the topic of the update itself and it's impact on our phones? =QUOTE]

I'll second that motion
    I had posted previously that I was going to try this on a second OV that I have, but with all this back and forth and controversy, I haven't even done that --just been reading the replies and whatnot....idk

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    04-10-2012 07:31 PM
    LOL

Look at it this way, man: Sure, I believe there are leaks in CM7, heard of that before. But they never caused problems for me. Before this update I could keep my phone up (with re-charging) for many days without any hickups, FCs, reboots or anything.

Following the update, reboots start happening out of the blue -- and I can repoduce them at will. After three complete do-overs of both the update and fresh MiRaGe installs that remains true. My phone was never a stubborn one, and I'm just about the most thorough wiper, MD5 checker and flasher you'll find anywhere.

Oh, and several other people see the exact same symptoms after updating, where they didn't see them before.

On the updated stock ROM, they just don't happen.

I can live with it if I have to. But I sure would prefer not to. And I am certainly curious and stubborn enough to want to try and find out what the heck is going on. I've done lots of testing in my life, and I can still think of plenty things to try.

If and when we manage to narrow it, you'll be the first to know. Along with the other devs, of course
    04-10-2012 07:37 PM
    I don't care which thread it's in.

I guess you could argue that this thread is where the full update approach was first presented and explored, and there's a lot of testing and findings already posted here. We cannot move those posts to a new thread. If the OP is updated appropriately, I don't see the problem with keeping this thread alive.

But if the thread itself is a problem for some reason, I have no problem taking it elsewhere.

Edit: You could also argue that the title of the current thread remains spot on, since all we've been trying to accomplish is updating the radio without negative effects.
    04-10-2012 07:43 PM
    To those of you who are seeing the reboots: If you have OpenSignals installed, try and uninstall it. I was still able to reproduce one reboot after removing it, but it took much longer. I know, not quite the silver bullet we're looking for, but something to try...
    04-10-2012 08:17 PM
    My nephew was born today. Liam. 8lbs, 11oz. Lots of texting and calling happening today. Going to try and address the last few pages from my perspective.

This radio may be totally useless for some, but great for others. For me, it has ABSOLUTELY improved my data speeds AND my reception. It's like a whole new phone in that regard. No reason to close the thread and say that it's pointless, IMO.

I ran the full stock update all day today. Stock Froyo is awful, omg, but this was the first day I had no issues whatsoever. Going to keep it going like that, as much as it sucks, I need the stability for the moment.
    Dannemand and brotherswing like this.
    04-10-2012 08:53 PM
    Congrats. Hope Liam and mom are doing well.
    04-10-2012 10:09 PM
937 ... 2223242526 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD