05-10-2012 04:01 PM
937 ... 2425262728 ...
tools
    I can attest to that. Before the radio update, placing my phone even a centimeter or two off, or rotation off by 5-15 degrees would make the difference between no texting and full texting at work.
    glarepate likes this.
    04-11-2012 11:25 PM
    fix_permissions didnt work either. Still getting reboots, mainly right after sending texts.
    04-11-2012 11:41 PM
    I'm not a mod, not a dev, nor am I a trusted source for information around here, but I feel like it needs to be flat-out said:

If you want this radio update, you should expect to run the stock ROM that comes along with it until if / when these issues can be resolved. Too many people are experiencing the same problems.

I have been seeing the lag again after flashing a new kernel over the stock ROM. No reboots, however. (not yet, anyway.)
    04-11-2012 11:59 PM
    I'm not a mod, not a dev, nor am I a trusted source for information around here, but I feel like it needs to be flat-out said:

If you want this radio update, you should expect to run the stock ROM that comes along with it until if / when these issues can be resolved. Too many people are experiencing the same problems.

I have been seeing the lag again after flashing a new kernel over the stock ROM. No reboots, however. (not yet, anyway.)
    Good to know. Maybe when we get the kernel source for the upgrade we can figure out what's going on and how to fix it.
    Dave Begue and Dannemand like this.
    04-12-2012 12:02 AM
    I can attest to that. Before the radio update, placing my phone even a centimeter or two off, or rotation off by 5-15 degrees would make the difference between no texting and full texting at work.
    Is my sarcasm meter totally off, or did you just seriously say that moving your phone a centimeter disabled your texting?

I also don't claim that I fully understand all the science and technology behind it, but isn't a speed test more to illustrate the speed of your connection to a wireless network? And then a dB meter test can tell you how powerful your radio signal is, and an IR test picks up the signal strength of a cell tower?

Somebody help a damn noob out :/

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-12-2012 12:09 AM
    Is my sarcasm meter totally off, or did you just seriously say that moving your phone a centimeter disabled your texting?

I also don't claim that I fully understand all the science and technology behind it, but isn't a speed test more to illustrate the speed of your connection to a wireless network? And then a dB meter test can tell you how powerful your radio signal is, and an IR test picks up the signal strength of a cell tower?

Somebody help a damn noob out :/

all that testing mish mash...just hang a clothes hanger off the end of the headphone jack with some foil on the end...works every time:what:
    nascar2428 likes this.
    04-12-2012 12:12 AM
    Is my sarcasm meter totally off, or did you just seriously say that moving your phone a centimeter disabled your texting?2
    Yes, I was 100% serious. Why would I make that up? My reception was so bad inside where I work that so little of a difference in placement was the difference between signal / no signal.
    04-12-2012 12:20 AM
    Absolutely. The position of the antenna inside the phone can make a huge difference when you have a weak signal. Remember the iCrap fiasco when people would lose calls because of the way they held the phone was interfering with the antenna?

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    04-12-2012 08:24 AM
    ok guys no more need to double flash the update.zip i've extracted the zv9 recovery and tested it on my phone. so the new method should be

1. Nandroid backup from current custom recovery
    2. place the VM update.zip on the root of your sd card
    3. flash stock zv9 recovery useing your prefered method (terminal, flash_image_gui, or backside updater)
    4. boot to recovery
    5. wipe data / factory reset
    6. apply sdcard:update.zip
    7. reboot system now

congratulations your now on stock zv9 unrooted with the new zv9 radio.

Follow the instructions Here
    to re-root and install custom recovery and finally restore your nandroid.
    glarepate and droidmyme like this.
    04-12-2012 09:49 AM
    ok guys no more need to double flash the update.zip i've extracted the zv9 recovery and tested it on my phone. so the new method should be

3. flash stock zv9 recovery useing your prefered method (terminal, flash_image_gui, or backside updater)
    4. boot to recovery
    7. reboot system now

For step 2- The VM update.zip you are referring to- is that the one listed on the first post "Optimus_V_VM9_Radio_Update.zip" @ 6.53mb. Or is this another zip and where can I find it.
    04-12-2012 10:57 AM
    For step 2- The VM update.zip you are referring to- is that the one listed on the first post "Optimus_V_VM9_Radio_Update.zip" @ 6.53mb. Or is this another zip and where can I find it.
    No, the update he is referring to is here:

LG Optimus V Android Phone | Virgin Mobile

Once on that page go over to the right side and down to the link labeled "Software Update (VM670ZV9)" to download it. It's 94.5 MB. It is the whole ROM. The 6MB zip file is just the radio part of it.
    04-12-2012 12:53 PM
    I also don't claim that I fully understand all the science and technology behind it
    droidmyme instead of passive-aggressively insulting people and doubting anybody that doesn't have a dev tag sit back and soak this stuff in.

All this logic you're using is flying in the face of wild speculation. I'll go ahead and throw my theory in the ring.
    flapjack its not wild speculation. If you doubt me Im ok with that.

Absolutely. The position of the antenna inside the phone can make a huge difference when you have a weak signal. Remember the iCrap fiasco when people would lose calls because of the way they held the phone was interfering with the antenna?
    I think people forget about that because it was apple and not (insert name here) devices.
    04-12-2012 01:02 PM
    droidmyme instead of passive-aggressively insulting people and doubting anybody that doesn't have a dev tag sit back and soak this stuff in.

flapjack its not wild speculation. If you doubt me Im ok with that.

I think people forget about that because it was apple and not (insert name here) devices.
    It was a joke. I consider you one of the voices of reason in this thread!

This space intentionally left blank.
    04-12-2012 01:05 PM
    The only way you can get a true test of performance of the data signal is to put the phone in the EXACT same spot during the tests. Moving it even a centimeter during tests can change the actual signal reception.
    You forgot one step, I guess. You also need to time travel and return to the same time with the previous test. Who knows, there can be a solar flare in between the two tests.
    04-12-2012 03:00 PM
    I am pretty sure now, this update is cursed too. It seems you are already possessed by it.
    04-12-2012 03:05 PM

4. boot to recovery
    7. reboot system now

Thank you so much for this, Wraith420. For us noobs that are reading, I think what you mean is:

You extracted the new ZV9 recovery, not the ZV9 radio firmware.

Flashing this file then somehow prevents the need for installing the update twice if we follow your directions.

Is my understanding correct? I thank you for clarification.

Further questions: Would not step #1 be redundant? In other words, I'm thinking a Nandroid backup is false security here, because once you flash the update, your radio firmware is changed and Nandroid isn't going to revert that change.

04-12-2012 04:18 PM
    I'm sorry eollie, I didn't mean to insult you. It's just that I in all the years I've owned a cell phone, I've yet to experience any serious antenna issues and so naturally I would doubt that unless you could offer some hard proof. I'm sorry but that's just my thought.

04-12-2012 04:20 PM
    So, LeslieAnn's method and or VM9 Radio update .zip file is invalid or may brick or do nothing at all?
    droidmyme likes this.
    04-12-2012 04:23 PM
    Thank you so much for this, Wraith420. For us noobs that are reading, I think what you mean is:

You extracted the new ZV9 recovery, not the ZV9 radio firmware.

Flashing this file then somehow prevents the need for installing the update twice if we follow your directions.

Is my understanding correct? I thank you for clarification.

Further questions: Would not step #1 be redundant? In other words, I'm thinking a Nandroid backup is false security here, because once you flash the update, your radio firmware is changed and Nandroid isn't going to revert that change.

The radio will be flashed by the stock recovery on the reboot after applying the update from virgin mobile.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-12-2012 04:30 PM
    And while the nandroid won't revert the radio it will get you back on your favorite rom in the same state it was before the update

04-12-2012 04:38 PM
    So, LeslieAnn's method and or VM9 Radio update .zip file is invalid or may brick or do nothing at all?
    It won't brick unless you use touch recovery or Multirom recovery.

04-12-2012 04:44 PM
    Well her .zip file is the only like 6.5MB In size.... so yeah it's not the entire vm update with the whole ROM ....
    will this not work this way anymore without somebody not going back to total stock vm's new update rom is basically what I'm trying to find out
    04-12-2012 04:56 PM
    Well her .zip file is the only like 6.5MB In size.... so yeah it's not the entire vm update with the whole ROM ....
    will this not work this way anymore without somebody not going back to total stock vm's new update rom is basically what I'm trying to find out
    No the stock recovery with the official update is currently the only way to update the radio. I've recently flashed flashed from vm zv9 to sprint zvh where I had no data and back virgin zv9. When I was on zvh I tried flashing leslies radio only patch and it didn't work only way back was to use the official virgin update.zip and stock recovery.

04-12-2012 06:17 PM
    Update: running Quattrimus alpha 7 and no longer seeing SMS lag / reboots

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    04-12-2012 06:20 PM
    Update: running Quattrimus alpha 7 and no longer seeing SMS lag / reboots
    Yep, that's what I found too (I was testing quattrimus alpha 8 though). Stock and ICS don't have the lags or the reboots. I may test theunknownartist's GB ROM as well, as it's supposed to be more AOSP.

Nevertheless, I am back on MiRaGe 04/03 now and haven't had any reboots since yesterday afternoon. SMS lags not too bad either, but I haven't texted much today. In any case will it take more to get me off the IHO/MiRaGe goodness. I really do like this ROM, it's been an incredible workhorse for me. But in hindsight, I wish I hadn't flashed that update.

I plan to write up my tests and conclusions for the devs this weekend.

Edit: And boom, just rebooted now as I as texting my wife. Interestingly, the message actually gets send even though it reboots the moment you touch the send button.
    04-12-2012 07:01 PM
937 ... 2425262728 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD