05-10-2012 03:01 PM
937 ... 2728293031 ...
tools
    Has anyone tried running a 2.2 rom like harmonia or bumblebee, to see if they are stable?
    Ive been running Harmonia 1.8 all day and its been rock solid. The reboot issues seem to be with IHO roms only.

P.S. Netflix always lagged really bad with the IHO roms I've tried even when highly overclocked. Netflix runs perfect with Harmonia 1.8 for me.
    04-15-2012 01:30 AM
    P.S. Netflix always lagged really bad with the IHO roms I've tried even when highly overclocked. Netflix runs perfect with Harmonia 1.8 for me.
    Strange, I thought IHO was supposed to run Netflix better.
    04-15-2012 01:34 AM
    I loaded bumblebee 2.4 .. stable so far. Ill be sticking with froyo I suppose. The keyboard sucks!

Update: ice cream sandwich keyboard from the market is quite nice
    04-15-2012 02:37 AM
    Strange, I thought IHO was supposed to run Netflix better.
    Notice he said when highly overclocked. That's probably the real issue.

This space intentionally left blank.
    glarepate likes this.
    04-15-2012 06:56 AM
    I haven't had one single problem, keep up the good work brother
    04-15-2012 07:36 AM
    Notice he said when highly overclocked. That's probably the real issue.

Good point.
    flapjack.fiasco likes this.
    04-15-2012 05:39 PM
    Let me rephrase. Netflix lagged at standard clock, medium overclock and maximum overclock in Jerry's and 666's ROMS.

Does it run well on other peoples phones with those roms?
    04-15-2012 10:20 PM
    Let me rephrase. Netflix lagged at standard clock, medium overclock and maximum overclock in Jerry's and 666's ROMS.

Does it run well on other peoples phones with those roms?
    It's never run great for me on any ROM I've used. There's always a little bit of buffering, honestly not that much though.

04-16-2012 06:58 AM
    Are there any updates on the issues some users (including myself) experience running IHO after this update? I love ICS but it just isn't stable enough for me. If anyone would like to just point me in the direction of files I can switch around from the update.zip to IHO and whatnot to try to make things work, I'd love to do it, but unfortunately I have no clue where to start. I certainly don't expect anyone to do all the work for me, but some guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    04-17-2012 11:21 AM
    This is suspected to be a kernel issue. So we're kinda in the dark until LGE releases the kernel source for the update. I just checked and it's still not published.

We can swap kernels around and test. And that's good as far as it goes. But it's not really the definitive answer that we would like.

Has anyone contacted LGE to request sources for the update yet?
    Dannemand likes this.
    04-17-2012 11:34 AM
    Thanks, TDM. I'm not TOO worried about it, Quattrimus is really nice, but eventually it catches up to me not having MMS / fully working 3G and whatnot, especially with the new nephew around, I keep getting messages I can't download, lol. I'll look around for who to contact about getting the source and send a message, and anyone else please do the same.

edit -- http://www.lg.com/us/support/message-customer-service Sent a message through there.
    04-17-2012 11:44 AM
    Darn, I forgot, you asked about that before. There isn't one right now, but I'll check after the next reboot.

I'll try this for sure, I can usually reproduce this at will. I am on MiRaGe 04/03 which is downloaded from here here. Problem is I am really busy today, it will probably be tomorrow. If anyone beats me to it, all the better...

Edit: oh, and thanks a lot for your focus on this, much appreciated
    Sorry for the delay. Here's a zip with a new boot image and the kernel modules. Only use this with MiRaGe 04/03!

Instructions:

0. Make sure you have the original ROM available in case something goes wrong!
    1. Unzip on your PC
    2. Use adb to push the *.ko files to /system/lib/modules (extra credit: chmod 644 /syste/lib/modules/*.ko)
    3. Use adb to push boot-gk.img to /data/local
    4. Get a root shell and run "flash_image boot /data/local/boot-gk.img".
    5. Reboot

If anything goes wrong, restore the original files or re-flash the original ROM from recovery.
    Dannemand likes this.
    04-17-2012 11:55 AM
    I'll give it a shot tonight as well. You think it would be safe to use it on Harmonia, since it's based off of mrg666's builds, or am I getting ahead of myself?
    04-17-2012 12:08 PM
    I'll give it a shot tonight as well. You think it would be safe to use it on Harmonia, since it's based off of mrg666's builds, or am I getting ahead of myself?
    The boot.img contains both the kernel and the boot scripts. So you can't use it on any other ROM because the boot scripts won't match. You need to build a new boot.img specifically for each ROM. It's not hard to do but can be daunting if you don't have the tools installed and some familiarity with the process.
    04-17-2012 12:12 PM
    Gotchya. I'll flash the Mirage build tonight and add these files and see what happens. Thanks again.
    04-17-2012 12:17 PM
    @tdm: I cannot thank you enough for your attention and focus on this issue. I'll try it later tonight. I'm still on Mirage 4/3 as my daily, so it should be easy.

Oddly, my reproduction procedure doesn't seem to be as consistent as before (stop laughing guys, I'm talking about this reboot issue )

Last weekend I spent hours testing as I wanted to write up my findings, and I couldn't reproduce a single reboot. Then later (after a manual reboot to clear things up) it rebooted on me TWICE when I sent an SMS to my wife.

I'm not so sure any longer that it's a leak or stack overflow. I'm thinking more there is a timing delay in a driver being off (say, waiting before reading a register) and depending on network conditions it sometimes misses a beat. So repeat airplane mode cycles and sending/receiving SMS merely increase the probability of hitting that condition, but doesn't necessarily "build up" to it.

I did a lot of driver development many years ago, and using noop loops for register delays would cause these kind of things. I only saw suck hack jobs in other people's code, of course, never my own
    04-17-2012 01:41 PM
    Sorry for the delay. Here's a zip with a new boot image and the kernel modules. Only use this with MiRaGe 04/03!

Instructions:

0. Make sure you have the original ROM available in case something goes wrong!
    1. Unzip on your PC
    2. Use adb to push the *.ko files to /system/lib/modules (extra credit: chmod 644 /syste/lib/modules/*.ko)
    3. Use adb to push boot-gk.img to /data/local
    4. Get a root shell and run "flash_image boot /data/local/boot-gk.img".
    5. Reboot

If anything goes wrong, restore the original files or re-flash the original ROM from recovery.
    Figured I'd install it right away so that it can run it while I am out doing other things.

Installed fine, boots fine, reports as 2.6.36.7-tdm-gk-0.1+ kernel. Tested about 10 SMSs (some to my OV number and some roundtripping to my GV number) and so far no reboots AND no SMS lags; SMS delivery does seem faster, though still too early for any conclusions.

I sometimes have an issue getting my screen back after it turns off, and I've had to pull the battery a few times. I disabled rotation animation, see if that helps (though I never saw those freezes before that others have reported). In any case not a problem just for the purpose of radio testing.

Thanks again, man. I really have to get going now, but I'll let you know later whether I can reproduce the reboots and lags with this one.
    04-17-2012 03:33 PM
    Figured I'd install it right away so that it can run it while I am out doing other things.

Installed fine, boots fine, reports as 2.6.36.7-tdm-gk-0.1+ kernel. Tested about 10 SMSs (some to my OV number and some roundtripping to my GV number) and so far no reboots AND no SMS lags; SMS delivery does seem faster, though still too early for any conclusions.

I sometimes have an issue getting my screen back after it turns off, and I've had to pull the battery a few times. I disabled rotation animation, see if that helps (though I never saw those freezes before that others have reported). In any case not a problem just for the purpose of radio testing.

Thanks again, man. I really have to get going now, but I'll let you know later whether I can reproduce the reboots and lags with this one.
    the screen wakeup issue sound like what happens with when trying gingerkernel or iscream kernel on IHO. turn off the screen on/off animations and turn your min clock up a bit. the governer made a difference too but i cant remember what one i had the best results with.... TDM is this the reworked gingerkernel?
    Dannemand likes this.
    04-17-2012 04:28 PM
    Is this the same as the update here?: [Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically challenged - Android Forums

This one seems way easier... lol O.o
    04-17-2012 04:45 PM
    Is this the same as the update here?: [Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically challenged - Android Forums

This is for the radio update that came in the update from VM and that one is about how to root the update

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk
    04-17-2012 04:54 PM

Well.. in short yes its the same update. this thread existed first and found the method of double flashing the update to get the radio to stick and hasn't really went into how to root the phone after flashing as that one has. there is also a lot more discussions here about figuring out the reboot issue the zv9 update has brought.
    04-17-2012 05:29 PM
    I'm running harmonia 1.8 and I just got a reboot on SMS send. I switched from IHO after updating to the VM9 radio and getting lots of reboots on CM7.

I was mildly overclocked to 787, but I've set it to 600 performance to see if I can reproduce it.
    04-17-2012 06:13 PM
    A little of both, actually. But all of what I put in that guide can be found right here in this thread. I just saved people a whole bunch of searching, and put it all in one place.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    04-17-2012 09:40 PM
    @tdm: just briefly, your gingerkernel survived the day with no reboots and no significant sms delays. Importantly, that includes running twenty of my test cycles (15 sec airplane mode, SMS to my VM number, SMS to my GV number which forwards to my VM).

So that's 20 airplane mode cycles and 40 messages sent and received. I never saw any lags sending (few secs at most) but a few times delivery of SMSs backed up, then arrived ketchup-style. It could well be the VMU network causing this.

A few days ago, I would've already considered that conclusive, but after this weekend's testing, I'm more conservative. Still, since ZV9, I've never done this many messages on IHO without seeing significant delays both sending and receiving (far more than I saw today). So that's promising so far.

Oh, and all of it was OC'ed (480-768, smartassv2). Most of my controlled testing has been non-OC, but many reboots have occurred during daily use when I WAS OC'ed. I have a feeling that clockspeed affects this - even when it's safely within the phone's stable range.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
    04-17-2012 10:51 PM
    the screen wakeup issue sound like what happens with when trying gingerkernel or iscream kernel on IHO. turn off the screen on/off animations and turn your min clock up a bit. the governer made a difference too but i cant remember what one i had the best results with....
    Thanks Wraith,

Yeah I disabled the screen on/off animations which helps some. I haven't had to pull the battery since, but it still won't wake up sometimes and I have to push power several times. Maybe that would've done it those first times a well.

I use 480-768 and the smartassv2 governor. I notice this kernel doesn't have Interactive, only InteractiveX. And then a few others I haven't seen before.

It looks promising so far re the reboots and SMS lags.
    04-17-2012 10:59 PM
937 ... 2728293031 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD