05-10-2012 04:01 PM
937 ... 2829303132 ...
tools
    I've gotten two more reboots on SMS send, using Harmonia 1.8. I locked the phone to 600, so I don't think this is an issue with CPU stability.

I notice that Harmonia 1.8 is based on Android 2.2.1, where the newest VM9 is a 2.2.2. Perhaps there is some special magic in the new framework that deals with messages on the VM network.

Leslie, do you have plans to update Harmonia with elements in the new update.zip? I will try reinstalling the VM update tonight, rooting it and seeing if I get SMS reboots on that platform.
    04-18-2012 03:33 PM
    I've gotten two more reboots on SMS send, using Harmonia 1.8. I locked the phone to 600, so I don't think this is an issue with CPU stability.

I notice that Harmonia 1.8 is based on Android 2.2.1, where the newest VM9 is a 2.2.2. Perhaps there is some special magic in the new framework that deals with messages on the VM network.

Leslie, do you have plans to update Harmonia with elements in the new update.zip? I will try reinstalling the VM update tonight, rooting it and seeing if I get SMS reboots on that platform.
    I can't answer for any of the dev's on here, but the problem seems to be that the kernels that are being used in our Froyo / GB ROMs which stem from the kernel source code that LG released for the first version of the software on our phones, isn't fully compatible with this new update, which LG has yet to release the source code for. Which means that none of these ROMs will work properly, no matter the version, except for the Quattrimus alpha, which I've been running for days with no issues.

So, once that happens, it will be up to the developers to rework their kernels or not, or to just tell those who flashed to either use stock or Quattrimus, and others to not flash the update.
    04-18-2012 03:41 PM
    Actually, it's had some elements of it before we even got the update.

I can't answer for any of the dev's on here, but the problem seems to be that the kernels that are being used in our Froyo / GB ROMs which stem from the kernel source code that LG released for the first version of the software on our phones, isn't fully compatible with this new update, which LG has yet to release the source code for.
    That is quite possible that something was changed, but there may be an even simpler fix, which, I'll see about implementing next update.
    04-18-2012 04:17 PM
    I've been running bumblebee 2.4 for several days now with no reboots when sending SMS. The bumblebee kernel is different from the picasticks kernel found in harmonia and the bumblebee resurrected roms, its not compatible with newer screens. So only try bumblebee 2.4 if you have an older V that came 2.2.1/ZV4 stock.
    04-18-2012 11:28 PM
    Could I use that kernel with BACKside? I have the Novatek screen so I'm good there...

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    04-19-2012 07:11 AM
    Try it. Extract the boot.img from bumblebee's ROM and in bootloader run:
    Code:
    fastboot boot X:\path\to\boot.img
    Nothing is flashed. It just reboots the phone's ROM with bumblebee's kernel. If the phone boots to IHO - good, if not just remove battery and reboot.
    04-19-2012 08:02 AM
    I've been running bumblebee 2.4 for several days now with no reboots when sending SMS. The bumblebee kernel is different from the picasticks kernel found in harmonia and the bumblebee resurrected roms, its not compatible with newer screens. So only try bumblebee 2.4 if you have an older V that came 2.2.1/ZV4 stock.
    Could I use that kernel with BACKside? I have the Novatek screen so I'm good there...
    You can use the kernel with IHO, and I am sure it will boot, but I doubt that wifi will work, and possibly UMS will not work. It wont hurt to try, I can't remember exactly what kernels I've used, but I have booted froyo kernels on IHO and IHO kernels on froyo, and there are no problems except the above mentioned things not working correctly.

Try it. Extract the boot.img from bumblebee's ROM and in bootloader run:
    Code:
    fastboot boot X:\path\to\boot.img
    Nothing is flashed. It just reboots the phone's ROM with bumblebee's kernel. If the phone boots to IHO - good, if not just remove battery and reboot.
    You can take the boot.img from bumblebee resurrected if you don't have a copy of 2.4, because right now all that resurrected is doing is flashing picasticks over the older bumblebee kernel. But what's wrong with the picasticks kernel, are zv9 users getting reboots with it?
    04-19-2012 08:14 AM
    I just tried to boot IHO with bb kernel and it seems to boot, I can access and browse all partitions except /sdcard with QtADB, shell commands works, but the phone itself stays in the bootloader's blue screen so no GUI, ha-ha.
    04-19-2012 08:24 AM
    I just tried to boot IHO with bb kernel and it seems to boot, I can access and browse all partitions except /sdcard with QtADB, shell commands works, but the phone itself stays in the bootloader's blue screen so no GUI, ha-ha.
    Hahaha, I guess I haven't booted a froyo kernel on a gb rom. I couldn't remember.
    04-19-2012 08:46 AM
    That still answered my question.

04-19-2012 09:22 AM
    You can take the boot.img from bumblebee resurrected if you don't have a copy of 2.4, because right now all that resurrected is doing is flashing picasticks over the older bumblebee kernel. But what's wrong with the picasticks kernel, are zv9 users getting reboots with it?
    I tried running the full stock update with the Picasticks kernel and got the same lagging / freezing / reboot issues with SMS.

EDIT -- Got a response from LG about the source code. They said if it wasn't on the website I could contact the open source team directly, which I did right away, but I got an "out of office" reply, says they will respond after 4/20.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    Dannemand, flapjack.fiasco and tdm like this.
    04-19-2012 10:04 AM
    I got an "out of office" reply, says they will respond after 4/20.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    ..... Lol!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-20-2012 07:47 PM
    Right now they're too busy satisfying the munchies!

04-20-2012 07:52 PM
    Got an e-mail from LG saying they forwarded my request for the update source code to the proper department and it could take some time to see a response. So, we'll see. I'll post back as soon as I hear something.
    tdm and Dannemand like this.
    04-20-2012 11:56 PM
    cole2kb likes this.
    04-21-2012 12:38 AM
    Sweeeeeeeeeeet. I thought running CM9 fixed the issues but I had a reboot yesterday and huge lag the last couple of days, even after a fresh flash. Back to stock I go.

Dannemand: How is that Mirage build with Gingerkernel working out for you? Any issues?
    04-21-2012 12:40 AM
    Well at least they are responding and hopefully they'll get it out soon

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-21-2012 01:10 AM
    I have to admit, I'm surprised that they seem to be willing to help.

04-21-2012 09:07 AM
    I have to admit, I'm surprised that they seem to be willing to help.

They are obliged to under the gpl. And they have been making Android phones long enough to know its easier to comply than go through threats and the ensuing PR mess. Otherwise I'm sure they would blow us off.
    04-21-2012 12:46 PM
    After five days of using tdm's GingerKernel on my MiRaGe 04/03, I have to conclude that it fixes any issues with reboots and SMS lags that I've had since flashing ZV9.

I wanted to be conservative about this: Last weekend I suddenly found that I could no longer reproduce reboots on my regular IHO install, so I am not as bullish about my repro steps as I used to be. (As mentioned in a previous post, the reboots promptly returned once I stopped testing and just tried to use the phone normally )

So I wanted to be extra thorough this time. I tested ONLY my normal install, not on fresh installs -- since my purpose was to see if tdm's kernel would fix a known "flawed" install. In addition to five days of regular use with full overclock, it included rounds of controlled testing, running twenty of my test cycles (15 sec airplane mode, SMS to my VM number, SMS to my GV number which forwards to my VM -- 40 messages sent and received).

I have had no reboots whatsoever. At no point have I seen any lags more than a couple seconds sending SMS messages. As mentioned in my preliminary findings a few days ago, delivery of messages occasionally backed up during heavy sending, then arrived ketchup-style. That could be the VMU network causing this.

Also, I have not experienced a single error sending messages nor failed to receive any (none that I know of). Before GingerKernel (and after ZV9 update) I would regularly have messages not being sent, failing with a red triangle (error code -1 under message details). And some messages (during controlled tests and from my wife) simply never arrived. I haven't seen a single instance of that with GingerKernel.

I have to conclude that this has fixed the ZV9 issues for me on this particular ROM.

Another odd observation: Although my WiFi speedtest results seem to be slower than before (same router and ISP), browsing and other data tasks actually seem to be snappier -- sometimes quite significantly. This is admittedly more subjective, and I don't know if it is possible at all. But I wanted to mention it.

The only issues I have experienced with this kernel were: (1) It is often reluctant to wake-up the screen, requiring several button pushes (initially I thought it had frozen and pulled the battery, but that's not necessary). And (2) According to CPU Spy it seems to spent less time Deep Sleeping -- but I haven't had any battery issues despite that.

I still need to go back now to my nandroid before GingerKernel and make sure that the problems return -- but I keep finding excuses to postpone that

So thanks a lot to tdm for providing this, it helped me get a stable phone back. But more importantly do I hope we can use this to nail whatever is cauding these issues in the first place. Also thanks to cole2kb for reaching out to LG. Maybe we'll get that new stock kernel source after all so we can begin to compare them.
    04-21-2012 03:35 PM
    Well.. as soon as LG releases the source, ill diff between it an the old one and patch up my kernel. Anyone willing to test?

But, didn't tdm come to the conclusion that the only difference between os and ov kernels is the button mapping? We could use the ls670zv9 source for this too
    04-21-2012 04:01 PM
    Well.. as soon as LG releases the source, ill diff between it an the old one and patch up my kernel. Anyone willing to test?

But, didn't tdm come to the conclusion that the only difference between os and ov kernels is the button mapping? We could use the ls670zv9 source for this too
    I believe that there was one more difference but I can't remember it. And I would test
    04-21-2012 04:14 PM
    I'll test...

04-21-2012 05:15 PM
    Put me down to test as well.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-21-2012 07:40 PM

Yeah all the devs need to do this, or switch to the gb kernel.

Yes the buttons are the only difference. But vm zv9 != ls zv9. It's probably closer to ls zvh.
    04-21-2012 08:22 PM
937 ... 2829303132 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD