05-10-2012 04:01 PM
937 ... 2930313233 ...
tools
    Also those of you that have been around for a while do you remember which baseband the Optimus S had major problems with? IIRC there was a process posted on how to update then revert back for root purposes. Plus that particular baseband was horrible for the phone it was creating issues.
    BUMP
    04-21-2012 09:45 PM
    Yeah all the devs need to do this, or switch to the gb kernel.

Yes the buttons are the only difference. But vm zv9 != ls zv9. It's probably closer to ls zvh.
    Is there anything preventing us from just using gingerkernel like you did for quattrimus? Would we have to make any major changes?
    04-21-2012 09:50 PM
    BUMP
    I beleve that would be zvh

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-21-2012 10:13 PM
    Is there anything preventing us from just using gingerkernel like you did for quattrimus? Would we have to make any major changes?
    Not at all. The major reason that IHO uses a froyo kernel is that the GB kernel had not been released when IHO was created.

That said, much time and effort has been put into the IHO kernel, and it would be reasonable to assume that some of the kernel developers would rather backport the radio changes than update.
    04-21-2012 10:36 PM
    Anyone who's trying the Gingerkernel with that Mirage build, are you able to use your camera? I get a solid white screen instead of the preview.
    04-22-2012 12:33 AM
    Oops, yes, you're right. Goes to show how rarely I use my camera. I have not tested the entire ROM comprehensively, only the radio stuff. There could be other trouble areas if many users start taking it through its paces.

For me this is still a no-brainer tradeoff because I rarely use the camera.
    04-22-2012 09:22 AM
    Anyone who's trying the Gingerkernel with that Mirage build, are you able to use your camera? I get a solid white screen instead of the preview.
    When I was playing with the OS gingerkernel thekraven provided a fix for the cam ill post it later :-)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-22-2012 09:23 AM
    Oops, yes, you're right. Goes to show how rarely I use my camera. I have not tested the entire ROM comprehensively, only the radio stuff. There could be other trouble areas if many users start taking it through its paces.

For me this is still a no-brainer tradeoff because I rarely use the camera.
    I use my camera a decent amount, youre right, not a huge deal though.

When I was playing with the OS gingerkernel thekraven provided a fix for the cam ill post it later :-)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks. Getting the same white screen playing video too, hopefully that takes care of it too.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    04-22-2012 10:31 AM
    If this works out, we won't use the gingerkernel directly for IHO.

We'll go back to the original Sprint sources. Then we will not have any of the ICS specific changes (including whatever messed up the camera). And then we'll apply any IHO specific changes on top of it.

I was just too lazy to do this when making a test kernel for Dannemand. It was much easier to just drop in the quattrimus kernel binary.
    Dannemand likes this.
    04-22-2012 10:32 AM
    ^^
    Spot on: This was a test to see if GingerKernel solved the radio issues (which I believe it does) so that tdm and others can come up with a fixed kernel for ZV9.

The fact that it happens to be a good alternative kernel already as it is, is just a temporary bonus for those of us who flashed ZV9.

Thanks again, man.
    04-22-2012 10:36 AM
    Oh, and if anyone wants to play with vendor sources, I have a repo at github.com/tdm/codeaurora_kernel_msm. The original Sprint GB sources are on the vendor-ls670-gingerbread branch. and the thunderc-gingerbread branch is intended to be the working GB branch. Configs are present for VM670 and LS670.
    04-22-2012 10:37 AM
    well here is the fix by thekraven for gingerkernel on IHO. the cam was white screened before the ICS changes and this fixed it. just do a backup and flash in recovery.

EDIT: It fixes the Cam.
    Dannemand and tdm like this.
    04-22-2012 01:26 PM
    well here is the fix by thekraven for gingerkernel on IHO. the cam was white screened before the ICS changes and this fixed it. just do a backup and flash in recovery.
    What does this fix?
    04-22-2012 01:40 PM
    What does this fix?
    It fixes a problem with camera when using GingerKernel on IHO.

If you follow the link I posted in the IHO thread, it takes you to tdm's post with the kernel and patch instructions. If you haven't followed this thread in a while, probably a good idea to read from that post and forward. It's been mostly about the reboot issues caused by ZV9.
    04-22-2012 02:08 PM
    For thr issues with the screen not waking up, waking it by holding down the power button seems to work very time, just wait for the power menu to appear and hit the back button to dismiss it.

04-22-2012 02:23 PM
    @cole and others: of course I'm dying to hear your findings with GingerKernel re radio stability; if it matches mine.
    04-22-2012 02:46 PM
    @cole and others: of course I'm dying to hear your findings with GingerKernel re radio stability; if it matches mine.
    Seems good so far, only been running for a day or so though.

Dannemand likes this.
    04-22-2012 04:25 PM

Yeah, that is a set of libs (particularly gralloc) that presumably work with the new kernel stuff. I don't know off the top of my head whether the kernel stuff in question is from Sprint or was added by Drew for ICS compatibility. If the changes are from Sprint, updating the kernel would mean also updating these libs. If the changes were added by Drew, then that would not be necessary.
    04-22-2012 05:02 PM
    Yeah, that is a set of libs (particularly gralloc) that presumably work with the new kernel stuff. I don't know off the top of my head whether the kernel stuff in question is from Sprint or was added by Drew for ICS compatibility. If the changes are from Sprint, updating the kernel would mean also updating these libs. If the changes were added by Drew, then that would not be necessary.
    here is where I found out about it. looks like this was before he started iscream kernel.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-22-2012 06:14 PM
    just wonder howcome still shows vm670zv4 under baseband version after flash. i think it should shows vm670zv9.
    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-22-2012 07:11 PM
    just wonder howcome still shows vm670zv4 under baseband version after flash. i think it should shows vm670zv9.
    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    If you flashed the update-only zip in the first post, it doesn't work. You need to do the full update.zip from Virgin Mobile's website, once in your custom recovery and once in stock recovery that is flashed during the first update.

I wouldn't recommend it at this moment though until the IHO ROMs work with it again. Lots of very smart people are working on it though, so it shouldn't be too much longer I'd imagine. Also, if your reception and data speeds are acceptable at the moment, there's no need to rush.
    samlin168us likes this.
    04-22-2012 07:21 PM
    I'm trying out XioniaRedux kernel in regards to the reboot issues. It's an Optimus S kernel but it boots and runs smooth on the V. Need to swap the keys.

*Edit*

No reboots as of 4/21/2012 12:19PM CST
    04-22-2012 09:22 PM

Thank you Wraith!

I only now got to install this, but it does indeed fix the camera issue on GingerKernel. The only issue I have left is the screen wake-up. As cole posted earlier, you can hold down power which will eventually open the power menu -- but sometimes it blanks the screen again when you release the power button. It is admittedly a annoying, but far better than the radio issues and reboots.

Thanks again all who've been helping with this radio mess. I hope it will lead to a proper ZV9 compatible kernel when we get the ZV9 kernel source from LG -- whether in the form of an updated Froyo kernel or a tweaked GB kernel.
    04-24-2012 01:12 PM
    I'm trying out XioniaRedux kernel in regards to the reboot issues. It's an Optimus S kernel but it boots and runs smooth on the V. Need to swap the keys.

*Edit*

No reboots as of 4/21/2012 12:19PM CST
    Experienced a single reboot due to SMS after 24 hours.
    04-24-2012 03:00 PM
    Doesnt work on Jerry's green-cwm right?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-24-2012 03:33 PM
937 ... 2930313233 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD