05-10-2012 03:01 PM
937 ... 3132333435 ...
tools
    I keep hearing everyone talking about reboots after flashing the update.zip. I flashed it about a month ago, and am running MiRaGe(always update to the latest build). I experienced one single reboot, the first text message I sent, and have not had any reboots or problems since.
    05-02-2012 08:56 AM
    I much agree: don't do this update yet. You'll probably regret it - and there is no way to undo it.

If you cannot wait to flash something (and I understand ) then just root with GingerBreak and start playing with the many custom ROMs available for the OV.

Once you've flashed this update, you're limited to a very few options - at least until we have a new kernel.

The devs wanted to close this thread long ago because they knew it would tempt users to flash an update that really is a lot of trouble. Only reason the thread is still alive is because of discussions about how to fix that trouble.
    05-02-2012 08:58 AM
    Hey, Dannemand, my brother in ZV9 woes, lol. Are you still running the Mirage build? I've been on the Cold As Ice rom for the OS and haven't had any issues.
    05-02-2012 09:09 AM
    Hey, Dannemand, my brother in ZV9 woes, lol. Are you still running the Mirage build? I've been on the Cold As Ice rom for the OS and haven't had any issues.
    Hey brother, sorry I haven't been in here since this morning.

You're gonna laugh now, but I have actually been back on pure MiRaGe 04/03 since this weekend (with Bobzhome v3.7 kernel). I did it for two reasons:

1) To verify the difference in stability I had concluded on GingerKernel (I always intended to come back and verify). It was easy: Since restoring, approx one reboot per day, either on SMS or on phone calls (I don't use airplane mode in daily life). Also, lags on SMS sending/receiving, and frequently getting "Message not sent" errors on SMS.

2) More importantly, to test (and possible solve) an issue on GingerKernel with Gmail sync being very slow and/or missing push requests from Google. Often, it would take several hours for Gmail changes to update. Sending messages to myself (from my ISP account) would take anywhere from 15 mins to several hours to show up on the phone (unless I sync manually).

I had tried everything on GingerKernel to fix it: Wiping Gmail, Play, and Framework app data, deleting my account.db (reboot and re-enter account), even a factory wipe in recovery. The slow syncing was persistent in Gmail.

After restoring my latest "pure" MiRaGe 04/03, those syncing problems disappeared completely. Emails arrive on the phone almost instantly, and Gmail udates made on gmail.com sync to my phone fairly quickly -- definitely quicker than on GingerBreak. (Note that I was testing on Wi-Fi which is how I spend most of my day).

So I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place: Accept the frequent reboots and SMS lags (on Bobzhome kernel) or accept the Gmail sync lags on GingerKernel). I haven't tried any of mrg666's later versions, but I assume he would have mentioned if he'd made kernel changes.

But hey, with MiRaGe it's still a great phone either way!
    05-02-2012 06:42 PM
    I have the same email issues with mirage 4/03 and gingerkernel. I figure its worth not having reboots though, and I generally disable data to save battery anyways so background sync isnt necessary. Screen wake bug is irritating though.

Is it possible to overclock the stock 2.2.2 security update? If rooted of course...

Cold as ice shouldnt have reboot issues because the kernel is derived from LS670 2.3 sources.
    05-02-2012 06:52 PM
    Is another e-mail app an option? Something like K9 Mail or Enhanced E-mail? I never noticed the GMail lag, but I get no email of any importance so I never payed attention.
    05-02-2012 06:58 PM
    So I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place: Accept the frequent reboots and SMS lags (on Bobzhome kernel) or accept the Gmail sync lags on GingerKernel). I haven't tried any of mrg666's later versions, but I assume he would have mentioned if he'd made kernel changes.

But hey, with MiRaGe it's still a great phone either way!
    There is no kernel change in the latest build. This is partly because I am not able to reproduce the reboots on my phone with ZV9 baseband without trying to send messages maybe dozens of times. It is very hard to find a solution to a problem so difficult to reproduce. I think using BobZhome kernel is much better than Ginger kernel since my phone had no spontaneous reboots in the last several weeks.
    05-02-2012 07:05 PM
    There is no kernel change in the latest build. This is partly because I am not able to reproduce the reboots on my phone with ZV9 baseband without trying to send messages maybe dozens of times. It is very hard to find a solution to a problem so difficult to reproduce. I think using BobZhome kernel is much better than Ginger kernel since my phone had no spontaneous reboots in the last several weeks.
    I have to agree. I'm running your 4-27 build with bobzhome's kernel. I installed the full VZ9 update (baseband shows VZ9) a month ago. I have spent over an hour texting back and forth with my wife a number of times and haven't had any reboots. I usually get one reboot on the first text immediately after installing a ROM update, but that is the only one.
    05-02-2012 07:49 PM
    Yes, I understand completely mrg. Now worries. I am NOT badgering you to address this issue.

That said, I am still convinced there is an issue with the Bobzhome kernel and ZV9 -- and that individual phone hardware and tower/connectivity affects its frequency and severity. For me the lags and frequent failures to deliver messages are a bigger issue than the reboots. But I understand completely that it's almost impossible to diagnose until we have the source from LG for the new 2.2.2 kernel and can see what they changed.

I meant what I wrote: With your ROM it's still a great phone regardless!
    05-02-2012 07:52 PM
    Is another e-mail app an option? Something like K9 Mail or Enhanced E-mail? I never noticed the GMail lag, but I get no email of any importance so I never payed attention.
    Actually I suppose the standard Email app (instead of Gmail) could do the job, if set to IMAP and to pull email every 15 mins. But that's gonna suck battery -- and really, Gmail is genuine cloud service, and the app works so well. I don't think I'd bother.

As I meant to convey: Even though it's a choice between two different issues with the two kernels, I can live with either -- considering all the other IHO goodness.
    05-02-2012 08:00 PM
    you could always try... tvall_kernel_v0.3.0.zip

havent received enough feedback yet to confirm if it helps or not.
    05-02-2012 08:09 PM
    Didn't I remember reading something about uninstalling the updates to the GMail app solving this problem? Or maybe I dreamed it. I don't know, honestly.
    05-02-2012 08:13 PM
    Didn't I remember reading something about uninstalling the updates to the GMail app solving this problem? Or maybe I dreamed it. I don't know, honestly.
    Thank you, that's worth trying. It pretty clearly is a non-issue on pure MiRaGe with Bobz kernel. But of course it could be a compatibility issue between the latest Gmail and GingerKernel.
    05-02-2012 09:12 PM
    you could always try... tvall_kernel_v0.3.0.zip

havent received enough feedback yet to confirm if it helps or not.
    Thank you, tvall. I apologize for not trying this earlier. I did see your suggesting it, and I should have acknolwedged that. I though of giving it a try, but then saw a few users report the same reboots on tvall kernel.

My feeling is either the incompatibility is there or it isn't. Before ZV9 I had zero, nada, nothing in the way of reboots or FCs -- same on GingerKernel (but it has these other little issues). The frequency and severity of issues for me is acceptable at the moment -- though of course not ideal because I was so spoiled before ZV9

I may give tvall kernel a try after all. Thanks again.
    05-02-2012 09:19 PM
    I would choose dealing with the GMail sync over the SMS, but that's just me, I don't know how important your e-mail is to you.
    05-02-2012 09:44 PM
    I notice a lack of updates on the lge open source site for vm670. Perhaps it's time for a few more people to politely inquire about the kernel source..
    05-02-2012 09:58 PM
    I notice a lack of updates on the lge open source site for vm670. Perhaps it's time for a few more people to politely inquire about the kernel source..
    Id be happy to. Just point me in the right direction
    05-02-2012 10:25 PM
    Id be happy to. Just point me in the right direction
    opensource.lge.com
    05-02-2012 10:29 PM
    Yes, good point tdm. I'll make a request to them tomorrow as well.
    05-02-2012 10:42 PM
    virgin mobile should have called this the anti-mod-update.zip versus radio-udate.zip...because its done more in that regard than anything else.
    05-02-2012 10:48 PM
    Just sent a request to them. Hopefully after they get enough of these they'll stop delaying and release it.
    05-02-2012 11:09 PM
    Here's the e-mail address directly, just so you avoid the hoops of the web form.

opensource (at) lge.com
    05-02-2012 11:29 PM
    virgin mobile should have called this the anti-mod-update.zip versus radio-udate.zip...because its done more in that regard than anything else.
    If people would understand the current kernels are built from a old source. Once a kernel is built from the new source I suspect alot of the problems will go away.
    brotherswing likes this.
    05-02-2012 11:44 PM
    Agreed, most of us are on froyo based kernels. A true ICS kernel for the V would be awesome, though...

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    05-03-2012 05:36 PM
    Agreed, most of us are on froyo based kernels. A true ICS kernel for the V would be awesome, though...

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    It's coming, be patient. :beer:
    05-03-2012 06:17 PM
937 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD