05-10-2012 03:01 PM
937 ... 3435363738
tools
    Here's a question, could the new kernel updates cause issues for those that haven't updated to zv9?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    I would assume not. Gingerkernel works well on both.
    05-04-2012 03:04 PM
    Here's a question, could the new kernel updates cause issues for those that haven't updated to zv9?

Good question! I hope someone tests.
    05-04-2012 03:08 PM
    I was referring to the recent ZV9 kernel source from LG. The different kernels that you have seen improvement with are 2.6.35 Gingerbread kernel. This LG source is still the same 2.6.32.9 Froyo source we have been using with IHO.

In case there is a problem with the v3.7 kernel binary, I am testing the kernel binary which is built on my machine using the source from Bob's repo. I would appreciate if anybody can test and give feedback. I think I will use these binaries in the next MiRaGe build.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ogmh5j5hqswxa6
    MD5sum: E69FAF8FA222D06ACB4116C64DDCB893

PS: kernel binary updated with v3.7 source to be consistent and used gcc 4.7 instead of gcc 4.5
    so basically virgin mobile pushed an update that really does nothing..well other than making things difficult for development.....that's their m.o.
    05-04-2012 03:52 PM
    so basically virgin mobile pushed an update that really does nothing..well other than making things difficult for development.....that's their m.o.
    No it was not correct, you need to read the rest of the thread.
    Eollie likes this.
    05-04-2012 04:06 PM
    Mrg666, just installed your latest kernel (rtc_diag build). Couple of things I've noticed, it seems to be running smoother but that could just be a placebo effect from knowing I just flashed the new kernel. I have, however, gotten much better performance on my overclock. On your 4-27 build, and the last few before that, I was only stable to 787. I've been running the new kernel at 825 and have tested as high as 864, with only one reboot while recording video. Texting seems to be working fine, haven't had any reboots yet. Keep up the great work, looking forward to your next update with the kernel built in.
    mrg666 likes this.
    05-04-2012 04:39 PM
    Mrg666, just installed your latest kernel (rtc_diag build). Couple of things I've noticed, it seems to be running smoother but that could just be a placebo effect from knowing I just flashed the new kernel. I have, however, gotten much better performance on my overclock. On your 4-27 build, and the last few before that, I was only stable to 787. I've been running the new kernel at 825 and have tested as high as 864, with only one reboot while recording video. Texting seems to be working fine, haven't had any reboots yet. Keep up the great work, looking forward to your next update with the kernel built in.
    If there is any improvement in the performance, that could be the gcc 4.7 compiler I used in this kernel compared to gcc 4.5 used in the previous kernel (the default android compiler is gcc 4.4). But, IMHO, there is no point of overclocking beyond 800MHz. Heat and battery use increase very fast after this.
    riggerman likes this.
    05-04-2012 04:54 PM
    I think my phone is running a bit snappier too.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2012 05:16 PM
    I would assume not. Gingerkernel works well on both.
    The new update is still on froyo though, I thought gingerkernel was for Gingerbread or ICS. not arguing at all, just trying to clarify.

05-04-2012 06:14 PM
    The new update is still on froyo though, I thought gingerkernel was for Gingerbread or ICS. not arguing at all, just trying to clarify.

Yeah, I'm not doing well at getting points across today.. (my girlfriend was really mad at me for accidentally calling her fat)
    What I was trying to say was gingerkernel is based on some newer sprint radio, and it works the same on older ones.
    mrg666 likes this.
    05-04-2012 07:01 PM
    Yeah, I'm not doing well at getting points across today.. (my girlfriend was really mad at me for accidentally calling her fat)
    What I was trying to say was gingerkernel is based on some newer sprint radio, and it works the same on older ones.
    Well if it makes you feel any better I just lol'ed hardcore at work reading this. Good luck making up for it.

tvall likes this.
    05-04-2012 07:05 PM
    No it was not correct, you need to read the rest of the thread.
    ive read enough to know i wont be flashing it to my device.
    05-04-2012 08:49 PM
    ive read enough to know i wont be flashing it to my device.
    No real reason to unless you have reception issues. I did it and it helped my signal and data speed tremendously.

05-04-2012 08:54 PM
    I will be finally doing this stupid radio update. You guys talked me in to it. My signal and speeds can't get any worse? Thanks for the work everybody. You guys are the best

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    05-04-2012 09:02 PM
    I will be finally doing this stupid radio update. You guys talked me in to it. My signal and speeds can't get any worse? Thanks for the work everybody. You guys are the best

I still don't recommend. We are not sure that the kernel is fixed yet.
    pbailey212 likes this.
    05-04-2012 09:15 PM
    I'm not doing it this second, but when things settle down I will give it a try

05-04-2012 09:27 PM
    It works fine with the Gingerkernel but overall, might be better to wait.

05-04-2012 09:51 PM
    Yeah I agree. Though my phone is still going strong with mrg's updated kernel after half a day, I would definitely want to see several days of stability - and no new issues being discovered - before I could recommend the ZV9 update.

This is particularly true because there is no way to roll back the radio update. So I'd want to be very, very certain before recommending it.

@pbailey: I know that's what you were saying too.

That said, I understand completely why people with reception problems want this: Any promise of improved signal is very tempting, I understand that. It's not just about it being shiny (read earlier in this thread if that reference doesn't ring a bell). My OV has a weak radio, and I believe I've seen definite reception improvement from ZV9. Not huge, but definite.

Thanks again mrg666, tdm, tvall, cole2kb and others for helping us get back the IHO goodness.
    05-04-2012 10:50 PM
    Yeah I agree. Though my phone is still going strong with mrg's updated kernel after half a day, I would definitely want to see several days of stability - and no new issues being discovered - before I could recommend the ZV9 update.

This is particularly true because there is no way to roll back the radio update. So I'd want to be very, very certain before recommending it.

@pbailey: I know that's what you were saying too.

That said, I understand completely why people with reception problems want this: Any promise of improved signal is very tempting, I understand that. It's not just about it being shiny (read earlier in this thread if that reference doesn't ring a bell). My OV has a weak radio, and I believe I've seen definite reception improvement from ZV9. Not huge, but definite.

Thanks again mrg666, tdm, tvall, cole2kb and others for helping us get back the IHO goodness.
    I have been hanging out in this forum for a really long time now, and when mrg666 says not to do something, I will always take it to heart. All of my devices are running too good right now, I'm bored I want to break something so I can fix it. I'm feeling left out of this conversation

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    mrg666 likes this.
    05-04-2012 10:57 PM
    Good question! I hope someone tests.
    works great on zv4. been running it for about 8 hours no lags no reboots. very stable
    mrg666 likes this.
    05-04-2012 11:46 PM

In my experience, it made not a damn difference in reception/call quality on two Optimus V in different low-signal areas. I assumed much of it was placebo effect, given people were claiming improved reception/call quality when flashing the radio-only update that was later determined to not actually update the radio. As for the true update...well, maybe it takes a certain kind of tower to see an improvement with ZV9...none of which are in my area.
    05-05-2012 03:51 AM
    @mrg666 After a couple of days with Mirage_BobZkernel33_gcc45.zip, I can tell you that I haven't seen any of the reboots from the zv9 update, nor any of the stability issues I had experienced with tvall's 3.0 kernel (although I suspect that test was flawed...)
    The overall performance was a marked improvement over bobz 3.7 kernel, definitely smoother during screen transitions like entering and exiting the app drawer. It also stabilized one app of mine that freezes all the time normally, but I refuse to stop using.

My test configuration is BACKside 0502, with the processor set @ 480/806 smartassV2, first generation V (novatek screen), zv9 radio, link2sd using an ext4 sd-ext.

Next up, testing tvall's 3.1 kernel...

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2
    mrg666 likes this.
    05-05-2012 06:03 AM
    My phone is still trucking too. No reboots at all since flashing your kernel yesterday. We'll see if the goodness continues over the next couple days but looks promising. Running it on newest backside, no overclocking as my phone doesn't like going past 600. But might try bumping it up a notch or 2 and see what happens with new kernel

I'm not so sure of the effects of the radio update either. I see no differences between my phone running zv9 and my wife and son's running zv4 and zv5

mrg666 likes this.
    05-05-2012 07:50 AM
    My phone is still trucking too. No reboots at all since flashing your kernel yesterday. We'll see if the goodness continues over the next couple days but looks promising. Running it on newest backside, no overclocking as my phone doesn't like going past 600. But might try bumping it up a notch or 2 and see what happens with new kernel

I'm not so sure of the effects of the radio update either. I see no differences between my phone running zv9 and my wife and son's running zv4 and zv5

Thanks for the feedback. I think a consistent picture is shaping up. If there are no reboot reports until tomorrow, let's call it done.
    05-05-2012 08:03 AM
    The effects of the radio update are circumstantial, different for each user, YMMV, there is no sure-fire "it works" or "it doesn't", moreso "it helped for me" or "it made no difference".
    05-05-2012 08:36 AM
    @mrg666: I would say particularly if people who DID have reboots before (on the old Bobz kernel) and DON'T have them after a couple days with the new kernel - that's the proof we need to declare this issue fixed. And of course no new issues cropping up.
    05-05-2012 08:39 AM
937 ... 3435363738
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD