05-10-2012 04:01 PM
937 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    The easiest way to describe my increased coverage is this: I used to have two spots at work where I'd have to set my phone to send/receive texts, and could never make calls unless I stepped outside. After this update, it's not perfect, but I can walk around and call, and text without much problem.
    03-21-2012 12:16 PM
    OK...
    When I first rooted my phone months ago to run Backside, I used from manager to put cwm recovery on my phone and that was the only time I ever used that app and deleted off my phone and NEVER used it again. Whenever I flash something I ALWAYS use cwm recovery by holding down the buttons at boot. Will it be ok if I install this via cwm recovery or will I have to put another recovery on my phone to flash it?
    I have the V w/ the novatek screen.
    03-21-2012 12:35 PM
    Is this an actual new radio update, or is this the radio that comes with the 2.2.2 Optimus V?

Maybe this is why some people see an improvement, while others don't?
    03-21-2012 12:39 PM
    Is this an actual new radio update, or is this the radio that comes with the 2.2.2 Optimus V?

Maybe this is why some people see an improvement, while others don't?
    Excellent point....
    Vishwar likes this.
    03-21-2012 12:50 PM
    Successfully flashed using CWM 3.2.0.1.

Sent from my LG-VM670 running Alien CM7 v1.2++ using Tapatalk
    anthonycr likes this.
    03-21-2012 01:22 PM
    I flashed this on CWM 4 with no issues, thank you LeslieAnn.
    Also, I wanted to update my PRL but, the most recent one I found was the one posted in September on xda ( [HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011) - xda-developers look at update 7). Does anyone know where i can find a more recent PRL?
    03-21-2012 03:33 PM
    Successfully flashed using CWM 3.2.0.1.

Sent from my LG-VM670 running Alien CM7 v1.2++ using Tapatalk
    Thanks for letting me know that. Flashed it and it worked.
    03-21-2012 04:21 PM
    I flashed this on CWM 4 with no issues, thank you LeslieAnn.
    Also, I wanted to update my PRL but, the most recent one I found was the one posted in September on xda ( [HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011) - xda-developers look at update 7). Does anyone know where i can find a more recent PRL?
    I posted a link to the most current Sprint PRL in post 159 of this thread. The most current is 60685 and it was released on March 1st. I am running it on my Optimus V as we speak with no problems.
    Ph1Man likes this.
    03-21-2012 04:26 PM
    Just a note, if Jerry still follows up in this, maybe it can be a start to alleviate issues with the Optimus S OTA working on the OV if he still plays with it. The phones are pretty much the same (sans key mapping) but the radio stuff/data was always the issue.
    03-21-2012 04:53 PM
    I gave in and flashed!

Oh dang!!!! This radio gave me 4G LTE... just downloaded the newest ics Rom in four seconds :jawdrops:

There's nothing shiny about this, its pure amazingness!!
    03-21-2012 06:31 PM
    I may be incredibly stupid and missed something really important, but was I supposed to lose data connection with this? I have bobzhome recovery so flashed the radio. All seemed to be fine. Calls ok, but no data. I will try the "undo steps" posted for the touch recovery if necessary. Any help? Data is the only reason I have this phone.

EDIT: It looks like the data is returning, but it's so slow. Maybe it will improve. It looked like it went from one bar to no bars. Then, one bar returned. No improvement, it appears. I normally get three little bars on my Sprint Palm Centro. FWIW, I do have the 2.2.2 model.
    03-21-2012 08:08 PM
    I'm sorry for not being very experienced at this. I wanted to install this radio update.

I currently have the stock rom 2.2.1. Do I need to have IHO or some other rom installed first before doing the radio update?
    03-21-2012 08:57 PM
    I'm sorry for not being very experienced at this. I wanted to install this radio update.

I currently have the stock rom 2.2.1. Do I need to have IHO or some other rom installed first before doing the radio update?
    All you need is Bobzhome's recovery. Then you just install the zip from the recovery and you're done.
    klei121 likes this.
    03-21-2012 09:38 PM
    For those who have flashed this update, when you report on how much it changed things could you specify what your coverage was before and after? It seems that the people with terrible coverage are seeing improvements but those with better coverage haven't seen real improvements. I want to see if we can really find a correlation.

Maybe OP could make a poll:

Has this helped coverage at all?
    1. Yes I had poor coverage before (0-1 bars) now better
    2. Yes I had good coverage before (1- 3 bars) now better (4)
    3. No I had poor coverage and still do
    4. No I had good coverage and still do
    5. Coverage is worse

This way we might be able to see if it helped as a whole
    Or better yet, for #1 & #2, use Settings - About Phone - Status - Signal Strength in dBm since different ROMs & icons show different bars.
    rhea likes this.
    03-21-2012 09:53 PM

Any rom is fine. Just don't use the touch recovery.
    klei121 likes this.
    03-21-2012 09:54 PM
    Went from 2 bars to 1, but a call to work VM seems to indicate it sounds clearer, less crackly.
    03-21-2012 10:03 PM
    I am unimpressed... I flashed this a few hours ago and have noticed no improvements although its too soon tole a judgement call.

EDIT: I can't believe I gave in and flashed this...
    03-21-2012 10:11 PM
    I am unimpressed... I flashed this a few hours ago and have noticed no improvements although its too soon tole a judgement call.

EDIT: I can't believe I gave in and flashed this...
    But... But... SHINY!
    03-21-2012 11:40 PM
    I think I am getting worse download speeds but my upload speed is alot better. Go figure.
    03-22-2012 02:36 AM
    Anyone have two of the same Optimus V's one with the Radio and one without?
    Or should we all wait till my friend comes home with a Optimus V same type as mine, then flash his
    Then run tests. Win.

I think I am getting worse download speeds but my upload speed is alot better. Go figure.
    Make sure your phone is in the same spot as before... no wait... just go outside, or drive to your nearest Radio Tower (Cell-phone tower)
    That should work.
    Best test runs done there.
    03-22-2012 07:05 AM
    Anyone have two of the same Optimus V's one with the Radio and one without?
    Or should we all wait till my friend comes home with a Optimus V same type as mine, then flash his
    Then run tests. Win.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...ml#post1665306
    Redbaron2005 likes this.
    03-22-2012 07:34 AM
    the extreme shiny-ness finally overcame my fears last evening. I took the plunge and flashed the radio update. Initially sitting around home last evening I didn't notice a difference either way. Now at work where previously I could only get 3g over by the window, I just sat at my desk and used the 3g internet to look at FB & even commented successfully. Before whenever I would launch my dolphin browser I would start with a 3g indicator that would then change to a 1x indicator and then without ever getting any data it would say "no internet connection try again later LOSER". So I am pretty happy. Now the other Verizon guys around work will no longer be able to tease me about my cheap service - SWEET !!!
    03-22-2012 09:40 AM
    Can someone explain to me what exactly is touch and multirecovery? How so I know if I have it or not? Where's a link to good recovery and how so I use it?

I have MIUI 2.3.7 rom installed will it work with this?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-22-2012 10:14 AM
    Can someone explain to me what exactly is touch and multirecovery? How so I know if I have it or not? Where's a link to good recovery and how so I use it?

I have MIUI 2.3.7 rom installed will it work with this?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    This is the recovery I used

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.

from here:
    VM670NH_recovery.img
    03-22-2012 11:10 AM
    Touch Recovery is a new recovery that adds buttons at the bottom of the screen that allows you to use your touchscreen to navigate recovery instead of having to use hardware buttons.

Multi Recovery is a newer recovery that lets you have a rom on your phone and a rom on your sdcard and you can select which one you want to boot. Like dual booting a computer.

You would have had to flash one of these recoveries to have it on your phone.

The recovery linked at end of previous post is a very good one and does work with this patch. There are a few recoveries out there so If you are unsure of which you have I'd flash this one to be sure.
    03-22-2012 12:24 PM
937 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD