[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - REMOVED

I'd rather use LeslieAnn's but I didn't download her version last night. I know my recovery is safe. Tracked Tvall's down though.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather use LeslieAnn's but I didn't download her version last night. I know my recovery is safe. Tracked Tvall's down though.

Mine and leslieann's are almost exactly the same. I'm going to add tons of warnings to mine later and re upload.

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Well, this was enough to make me bail on the touch recovery, at least for now. Flashed back to Xionia and installed the radio update. Worked fine with Xionia recovery and BACKside IHO ROM. Wish I was the adventurous type and could afford a new phone. I find myself wondering how it'd react if I'd flash back to touch recovery now that the radio update is already installed. Can't afford to find out the hard way, though.

Has anyone tried this update with Quattrimus ROM?

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Well, this was enough to make me bail on the touch recovery, at least for now. Flashed back to Xionia and installed the radio update. Worked fine with Xionia recovery and BACKside IHO ROM. Wish I was the adventurous type and could afford a new phone. I find myself wondering how it'd react if I'd flash back to touch recovery now that the radio update is already installed. Can't afford to find out the hard way, though.

yeah, i think i'm going to ditch the recovery as well. makes me wonder about issues i had when installing the Lewa ROM too. after multiple download and flash attempts, it was real wonky.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

The Touch Recovery was nice and since my camera button is a little wonky worked, I may just go back to the RA 3.0.6.0 Recovery.

DizzmalDan420

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

LEWA worked fine for me with touch, but Quattrimus was wonky as all hell for me. Also had some issues with MD5 mismatches when restoring with touch recovery. As much as I love the touchscreen convenience, I'm going back to mashing my poor volume and camera buttons with Xionia.

P.S. The radio update didn't seem to make a damn bit of difference with anything as far as I can tell.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

Touch recovery works fine, just not for installing it. (I think I read that radio flashing was disabled in it, I guess trying to just causes it to freak out and break)

I'm not running quattrimus exactly, running cm9 with all the patches and stuff from tdm except mms and it works well. Pretty much the same

Reactions: DizzmalDan420

DKGerbil2

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

So for those of us who aren't idiots... is there a working link? Everything seems to be fine for those of us without the touch recovery.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Warning

Do not use the same version as LeslieAnn posted.

It has two versions of the same script. Please just be patient so no one else bricks their phone. We still don't know exactly what went wrong.

I'm pretty sure the problem is cwmt has radio flashing "disabled" in a way that makes it break when a flash is attempted.

Have you looked at my updater yet?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

whoa whoa whoa is there a ~secret~ link for the people who CAN read/think? ;D
Maybe, but I don't like feeling even partially responsible for messing up peoples phones.

I don't like carrying that burden, others may be able to just brush it off easily, but I can't.

personally, i think it's better that no one distributes this for two reasons:

1. there are at least 4 reports of phones completely bricked, possibly beyond repair.

2. we've all seen how many people continue to brick their phones by using ROM manager or by hitting the Factory Reset option even though there are warnings.

regarding #2 though, i'm a little disappointed by the reaction by some to the people that bricked their phones, including the "some people can't read or think" comment in the OP.
The first few phones were accidents, we didn't know about the problem.
We DO know there is an issue and issued appropriate warnings.

Rom Manager is different.
We don't have control over it, and can't warn people ahead of time or have it removed. We do have some control over this.

While it may sound like I don't give a sh*t, it's quite the opposite. I don't like the idea that something I helped make or distributed causing problems or is looked at in the same vein as Rom Manager. I care too much to let this continue to happen which is why I pulled it.

Which is also why you got the comments you are offended by.
I tried to give as much warning and things as I could and some still wouldn't pay attention, so to keep myself from feeling worse about this crap, I removed it. Like I said, I can't just easily brush that sort of thing aside like others can, this will bother me for a while. Pulling it down was for your sake as well as mine. When I pulled it down I was very angry and sad at the same time.

I didn't say none of you could read or think, just some of you. If it offended you, then maybe you feel you fall into that camp.

Do not use the same version as LeslieAnn posted.

It has two versions of the same script. Please just be patient so no one else bricks their phone. We still don't know exactly what went wrong.
That doesn't have any effect, it's just how Virgin set it up, I have seen similar before and it hasn't caused any issues. At worst, it flashes it twice. No big deal.

I suspect the problem is that the touch recoveries do not understand "write_radio_image" and are just installing the image right over boot.img or system, but it''s only a guess.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

The first few phones were accidents, we didn't know about the problem.
We DO know there is an issue and issued appropriate warnings.

Rom Manager is different.
We don't have control over it, and can't warn people ahead of time or have it removed. We do have some control over this.

While it may sound like I don't give a sh*t, it's quite the opposite. I don't like the idea that something I helped make or distributed causing problems or is looked at in the same vein as Rom Manager. I care too much to let this continue to happen which is why I pulled it.

Which is also why you got the comments you are offended by.
I tried to give as much warning and things as I could and some still wouldn't pay attention, so to keep myself from feeling worse about this crap, I removed it. Like I said, I can't just easily brush that sort of thing aside like others can, this will bother me for a while. Pulling it down was for your sake as well as mine. When I pulled it down I was very angry and sad at the same time.

I didn't say none of you could read or think, just some of you. If it offended you, then maybe you feel you fall into that camp.

i understand that you were frustrated and i completely accept your explanation.

for the record, no, i don't feel that i fall in the camp of those that "can't read or think". reading up is the only reason i didn't break my phone last night.

Reactions: LeslieAnn

jack454

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

LeslieAnn you have done to much good for the V community to even feel a little at fault. Everyone that comes here knows or should know the risk of flashing anything to their phone. I say thankyou for what you have and will do for us all.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

LeslieAnn, I to say thank you for your work with OV'ers and don't feel bad, the ones that had the recovery should have read the info, this includes me.

Radio.img flashing has been disabled (read: should be disabled). So we should have known that flashing a Radio.img with it was/is a bad idea.

The Touch Recovery works well at what it does, never had a problem with it, but it does say Radio flash is disabled, so I would not blame the recovery either or the dev: just carelessness on the part of people.

Reactions: Vishwar

llamadon

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

LeslieAnn, I to say thank you for your work with OV'ers and don't feel bad, the ones that had the recovery should have read the info, this includes me.

Radio.img flashing has been disabled (read: should be disabled). So we should have known that flashing a Radio.img with it was/is a bad idea.

The Touch Recovery works well at what it does, never had a problem with it, but it does say Radio flash is disabled, so I would not blame the recovery either or the dev: just carelessness on the part of people.

That was not nice. I though I could find someone else to blame for bricking my phone. Now I have to take responsibility for my own actions, that does not seem fair.;)

Also, no so far I do not thing my computer can even see it. May be off to t-mobile for me. I was just staying becouse I had a phone and could not afford to get a new one right now but... (Better coverage where I am.)

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

That was not nice. I though I could find someone else to blame for bricking my phone. Now I have to take responsibility for my own actions, that does not seem fair.;)

Also, no so far I do not thing my computer can even see it. May be off to t-mobile for me. I was just staying becouse I had a phone and could not afford to get a new one right now but... (Better coverage where I am.)

That is why I believe that it flashed the Radio Image over the whole firmware, from recovery to data/cache everything is now the radio. I had the touch recovery and was about to flash it, and reading that about the radio showed that I did not even read the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca