[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

The easiest way to describe my increased coverage is this: I used to have two spots at work where I'd have to set my phone to send/receive texts, and could never make calls unless I stepped outside. After this update, it's not perfect, but I can walk around and call, and text without much problem.

Nick23n

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

OK...
When I first rooted my phone months ago to run Backside, I used from manager to put cwm recovery on my phone and that was the only time I ever used that app and deleted off my phone and NEVER used it again. Whenever I flash something I ALWAYS use cwm recovery by holding down the buttons at boot. Will it be ok if I install this via cwm recovery or will I have to put another recovery on my phone to flash it?
I have the V w/ the novatek screen.

Vishwar

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Is this an actual new radio update, or is this the radio that comes with the 2.2.2 Optimus V?

Maybe this is why some people see an improvement, while others don't?

krowley3

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

I flashed this on CWM 4 with no issues, thank you LeslieAnn. :)
Also, I wanted to update my PRL but, the most recent one I found was the one posted in September on xda ( [HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011) - xda-developers look at update 7). Does anyone know where i can find a more recent PRL?

I posted a link to the most current Sprint PRL in post 159 of this thread. The most current is 60685 and it was released on March 1st. I am running it on my Optimus V as we speak with no problems.

Reactions: Ph1Man

A.I.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Just a note, if Jerry still follows up in this, maybe it can be a start to alleviate issues with the Optimus S OTA working on the OV if he still plays with it. The phones are pretty much the same (sans key mapping) but the radio stuff/data was always the issue.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I gave in and flashed!

Oh dang!!!! This radio gave me 4G LTE... just downloaded the newest ics Rom in four seconds :jawdrops:

There's nothing shiny about this, its pure amazingness!!

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

I may be incredibly stupid and missed something really important, but was I supposed to lose data connection with this? I have bobzhome recovery so flashed the radio. All seemed to be fine. Calls ok, but no data. I will try the "undo steps" posted for the touch recovery if necessary. Any help? Data is the only reason I have this phone.

EDIT: It looks like the data is returning, but it's so slow. Maybe it will improve. It looked like it went from one bar to no bars. Then, one bar returned. No improvement, it appears. I normally get three little bars on my Sprint Palm Centro. FWIW, I do have the 2.2.2 model.

Last edited:

klei121

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry for not being very experienced at this. I wanted to install this radio update.

I currently have the stock rom 2.2.1. Do I need to have IHO or some other rom installed first before doing the radio update?

PacifistRiot

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry for not being very experienced at this. I wanted to install this radio update.

I currently have the stock rom 2.2.1. Do I need to have IHO or some other rom installed first before doing the radio update?

All you need is Bobzhome's recovery. Then you just install the zip from the recovery and you're done.

Reactions: klei121

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

For those who have flashed this update, when you report on how much it changed things could you specify what your coverage was before and after? It seems that the people with terrible coverage are seeing improvements but those with better coverage haven't seen real improvements. I want to see if we can really find a correlation.

Maybe OP could make a poll:

Has this helped coverage at all?
1. Yes I had poor coverage before (0-1 bars) now better
2. Yes I had good coverage before (1- 3 bars) now better (4)
3. No I had poor coverage and still do
4. No I had good coverage and still do
5. Coverage is worse

This way we might be able to see if it helped as a whole;)

Or better yet, for #1 & #2, use Settings - About Phone - Status - Signal Strength in dBm since different ROMs & icons show different bars.

Reactions: rhea

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Any rom is fine. Just don't use the touch recovery. :)

Reactions: klei121

technobear

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Went from 2 bars to 1, but a call to work VM seems to indicate it sounds clearer, less crackly.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I am unimpressed... I flashed this a few hours ago and have noticed no improvements although its too soon tole a judgement call.

EDIT: I can't believe I gave in and flashed this...

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I am unimpressed... I flashed this a few hours ago and have noticed no improvements although its too soon tole a judgement call.

EDIT: I can't believe I gave in and flashed this...

But... But... SHINY! :p

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I think I am getting worse download speeds but my upload speed is alot better. Go figure.

Redbaron2005

Jr. Android Developer
Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Anyone have two of the same Optimus V's one with the Radio and one without?
Or should we all wait till my friend comes home with a Optimus V same type as mine, then flash his ;)
Then run tests. Win.

I think I am getting worse download speeds but my upload speed is alot better. Go figure.
Make sure your phone is in the same spot as before... no wait... just go outside, or drive to your nearest Radio Tower (Cell-phone tower)
That should work.
Best test runs done there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084