[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

the extreme shiny-ness finally overcame my fears last evening. I took the plunge and flashed the radio update. Initially sitting around home last evening I didn't notice a difference either way. Now at work where previously I could only get 3g over by the window, I just sat at my desk and used the 3g internet to look at FB & even commented successfully. Before whenever I would launch my dolphin browser I would start with a 3g indicator that would then change to a 1x indicator and then without ever getting any data it would say "no internet connection try again later LOSER". So I am pretty happy. Now the other Verizon guys around work will no longer be able to tease me about my cheap service - SWEET !!!

compuwiz2166

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what exactly is touch and multirecovery? How so I know if I have it or not? Where's a link to good recovery and how so I use it?

I have MIUI 2.3.7 rom installed will it work with this?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Can someone explain to me what exactly is touch and multirecovery? How so I know if I have it or not? Where's a link to good recovery and how so I use it?

I have MIUI 2.3.7 rom installed will it work with this?

This is the recovery I used

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.

from here:
VM670NH_recovery.img

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Touch Recovery is a new recovery that adds buttons at the bottom of the screen that allows you to use your touchscreen to navigate recovery instead of having to use hardware buttons.

Multi Recovery is a newer recovery that lets you have a rom on your phone and a rom on your sdcard and you can select which one you want to boot. Like dual booting a computer.

You would have had to flash one of these recoveries to have it on your phone.

The recovery linked at end of previous post is a very good one and does work with this patch. There are a few recoveries out there so If you are unsure of which you have I'd flash this one to be sure.

Last edited:

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site

So is it safe to flash the new radio and amphetamines??
I thought i read that something happened... i wanna flash another ROM and then amphetamines but with the new radio already flashed i'm not sure if i can now

compuwiz2166

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the help guys! Now i wanna know if there have been significant improvements. Who has really seen an obvious difference or is it all just in your head?

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes for about 2-3 months, hardly any reception at work. Calls would be hit or miss throughout the day. Now I am consistently receiving calls, texts, and such at signal is at about -98dbm. I did not change my PRL.

I never acknowledged this answer to my questions. Sorry about that - and thank you. Good info.

gearsofwar23

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

It works about the same as 3g goes but call quality is better and clearer, remember this isn't 4 g it not going to get light speed or anything like that. Would be awesome to get but only issue I've experienced since flashing it is the signal status bar seems to have a fit and switches back and forth from the 4 bar one to the one with lots of lil bars. Not sure how to correct that small issue.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Is this an actual new radio update, or is this the radio that comes with the 2.2.2 Optimus V?

Maybe this is why some people see an improvement, while others don't?
I meant to comment on this but it got lost.

This could very well be the case or close to it.
It could be that the update only updates a few apps for newer models, or is just a minor radio update, while the older phones are seeing more because itos a bigger jump for them.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to pull the radio image from a phone? I have an "old" OV and I'd love to see what the baseband looks like.

Also, also folks could check their baseband version, then we could start to correlate versions with improved performance. There should be a way to do that but perhaps its not working correctly in custom ROMs.

I read that the older OVs came with ZV4 and the newer ones came with ZV5. And this update appears to be ZV9. If that matches the Sprint OS version numbering, we are still far behind. I think they are currently on ZVH with their GB update.

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

Did Sprint ever actually fix the GB update on the S? I recall they pulled it because it was hardcore borked?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible to pull the radio image from a phone? I have an "old" OV and I'd love to see what the baseband looks like.

Also, also folks could check their baseband version, then we could start to correlate versions with improved performance. There should be a way to do that but perhaps its not working correctly in custom ROMs.

I read that the older OVs came with ZV4 and the newer ones came with ZV5. And this update appears to be ZV9. If that matches the Sprint OS version numbering, we are still far behind. I think they are currently on ZVH with their GB update.
Mine was definitely ZV4.
When you flash that number stays since something in the rom tells the radio in the about window, just as we can name the rom.

I think almost every rom we have will say ZV4, the only way to see the original is on a non-rom'd new phone.

gearsofwar23

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

Sprint never fixed their gingerbread issue, they prob figure its best to let the optimus s go and worry about the next generation of smartphones. Their competition is Verizon so they can't really put their focus on a older phone their looking for future releases..

gearsofwar23

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

$4799.40 is how much a 5 yr unlimited contract would cost with sprint that's more than the car I've had for 3 years lol just some fun facts. I hope Verizon buys virgin mobile so we can run off their better network. o_O but back on the subject of this radio its pretty good and blows the stock out the water. Never know till u try it results may vary o_O

mysticalnyte

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Oh boy, I flashed this using the IHO Recovery and the latest Harmonia ROM. When the OV gets done booting and I get past my lockscreen a window pops up saying " The android.phone process unexpectedly terminated" every second or so after I close that window, the 3g icon was greyed out and obviously was not getting a signal. Plus WiFi doesn't work saying there's an "error".
Now I don't get that popup any more cause the only fix was to put it in airplane mode. Now I find out I can't get it out of airplane mode. I untick the box in settings and I also have an icon on the pulldown bar which does nothing.
I wiped, re installed, changed ROM's and nothing yet.
Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^
Just for starters, I would double-wipe cache and dalvik, the reboot and let it simmer for 10 mins to rebuild everything.

I know this radio update shouldn't affect the ROM, but a bit of spring cleaning couldn't hurt.

If the problem persists, I would try to flash the radio update again. There's no going back anyways...

Reactions: mysticalnyte

mysticalnyte

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I'll try it right now again hoping it fixes it.
I don't think it's affecting the ROM in general, the ".phone" process of it or the data connectivity.

EDIT: "Sorry! The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again [Forceclose]." is the correct error message.

EDITv2: 3g icon is still greyed out. But when I go into settings>wireless the airplane mode box is checked but there isn't the "airplane" symbol in the staus bar just the greyed out 3g icon. If I untick the airplane mode box it'll act like it's reverting but the process takes about 40 seconds and comes back ticked in the box...
Damn, I need my phone for work...

I only see two processes running: DSP Manager and Android Keyboard. Lockscreen message says "(No Service)" as well.

Good news is there's no popup box happening...

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll try it right now again hoping it fixes it.
I don't think it's affecting the ROM in general, the ".phone" process of it or the data connectivity.

EDIT: "Sorry! The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again [Forceclose]." is the correct error message.

EDITv2: 3g icon is still greyed out. But when I go into settings>wireless the airplane mode box is checked but there isn't the "airplane" symbol in the staus bar just the greyed out 3g icon. If I untick the airplane mode box it'll act like it's reverting but the process takes about 40 seconds and comes back ticked in the box...
Damn, I need my phone for work...

I only see two processes running: DSP Manager and Android Keyboard. Lockscreen message says "(No Service)" as well.

Good news is there's no popup box happening...

I flashed and am running the new radio without trouble on backside rom. I used Bobzhome recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21