[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

So far it appears that the older V's are seeing bigger improvements than the newer ones. Which makes sense since the newer ones had a newer radio firmware from the factory so it wasn't as large of a jump for them.

I would say it is definitely worth it for older V's, newer is up to the person.

Reactions: a5pe4

mzxeternal

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

So far it appears that the older V's are seeing bigger improvements than the newer ones. Which makes sense since the newer ones had a newer radio firmware from the factory so it wasn't as large of a jump for them.

I would say it is definitely worth it for older V's, newer is up to the person.

I just replaced my bricked handset Friday night and got the newer model, from experience the newer model definitely has better call quality out of the box.

Personally, after the brick of my first one (with recommended recovery), i'd agree... worth the chance on the older one if you can take the risk, not worth it on the newer model since the quality difference is significant.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I got my OV when they first came out and I did the radio update and haven't had any change in signal

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI for those with bricked phones who don't want to or can't restore them... developers could probably restore them and use a spare phone. I know I could, so that I don't miss calls and texts all the time. I've been offered two so far (thanks!) but still waiting on either one to show up...

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I got my OV when they first came out and I did the radio update and haven't had any change in signal

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

I got mine the first week they were out, and my 3G seems faster. Calls are definitely clearer. Might also depend on the tower coverage in your area. I like on the outskirts of a notorious dead zone where pretty much nobody has a signal. Two miles in one direction I get four bars, but if I head two miles the other way I get no bars at all. In my living room I used to get -98 to -100, now I get -85 to -93. Not huge, but still noteworthy, I think.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought. I noticed while updating Prl that my software was still being reported as zv4. Could this mean the patch didn't take? On the Optimus S forum I read that they need to use the stock recovery to properly flash radio and xionia will just ignore it. Perhaps bobzhome / iho recoveries are the same?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I havent noticed any difference since flashing the radio image. I have a launch day V also, so I definitely had the oldest radio.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Just a thought. I noticed while updating Prl that my software was still being reported as zv4. Could this mean the patch didn't take? On the Optimus S forum I read that they need to use the stock recovery to properly flash radio and xionia will just ignore it. Perhaps bobzhome / iho recoveries are the same?
The rom is saying that is all.
There is no way to know if it took.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

QPST is still likely reading from the rom as that is still what it connects to.

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

I got mine the first week they were out, and my 3G seems faster. Calls are definitely clearer. Might also depend on the tower coverage in your area. I like on the outskirts of a notorious dead zone where pretty much nobody has a signal. Two miles in one direction I get four bars, but if I head two miles the other way I get no bars at all. In my living room I used to get -98 to -100, now I get -85 to -93. Not huge, but still noteworthy, I think.

Actually it may be better than you realize. Signal strength is a logarithmic scale not a linear one. What that means is that -95 dB is twice as strong as -98 and that -85 dB is ten times as strong as -95.

On the other hand the signal strength is pretty darn small either way and the fact that phones can work with millivolt and microvolt level radio waves is pretty amazing. :eek:

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Tell me about it! When I had Boost I had to go outside to get any signal at all. That's why I switched to VM to begin with.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

You want better connections? Lobby your representatives to support all efforts to get the carriers to install the new small cellular towers. These can be installed on the side of a building without being an eyesore, and are cheap. Once regulatory hurdles are passed, they could make the next generation of cellular networks virtually deadzone free in urban environments!

mzxeternal

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Tell me about it! When I had Boost I had to go outside to get any signal at all. That's why I switched to VM to begin with.

That's weird, I was on Boost CDMA and switched to Virgin specifically because of the lack of Android offerings. But overall, their CDMA service was typically better and operated more like sprint standard. The cheapo Sanyo Incognito I had even got PRL updates from time to time (and the same ones as sprint pretty much). I later got my old Samsung Instinct on the network and that operated just about the same as it did on Sprint coverage wise (excluding roaming and Visual Voicemail).

At first I was actually dismayed by the problems with 3G on Virgin, which eventually subsided. But in general, phone reception is about the same on either.

(Unless you're referring to Boost's iDen side, which stinks!)

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
QPST is still likely reading from the rom as that is still what it connects to.

I am sorry Leslie I have to respectfully disagree. After reading your last post I decided to test it and I applied the complete vm update.zip using iho recovery and when it booted the software version under about phone still said zv4. I did a factory reset from the privacy menu... Still zv4. Then I booted into stock recovery and applied the update again ok nothing new until I got to hit reboot system then it quickly said flashing radio.img and then booted and the info in about phone was correct zv9 ok then I turned the phone off to connect to qpst and it also read zv9 ok great. I then rerooted and restored backside then flashed cwmt recovery to connect to qpst. And qpst still says software is zv9. If it were only getting its info from the rom then once I flashed back to backside qpst should also change back to zv4. So I can only conclude that at least Part of the radio update is not being applied

Reactions: krowley3

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok sitting on a fresh backside install after wiping everything except sdcard qpst still has me on zv9 software and it did not change untill I flashed the update.zip from stock recovery.
42570771-9d31-1516.jpg

Reactions: LeslieAnn
Status
Not open for further replies.