[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I just flashed the update after flashing the latest backside IHO update & installed xionia recovery. I did make a difference. I did all this while traveling in a large truck in an area where there is NO reception! I GOT BARS! WOW! Ok..2 bars but it's better than no bars at all. Haven't tried it on my old man's OV. ( new Hitachi model) . No probs here. Thanks for the good instructions Leslie Ann!

krowley3

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

I am sorry Leslie I have to respectfully disagree. After reading your last post I decided to test it and I applied the complete vm update.zip using iho recovery and when it booted the software version under about phone still said zv4. I did a factory reset from the privacy menu... Still zv4. Then I booted into stock recovery and applied the update again ok nothing new until I got to hit reboot system then it quickly said flashing radio.img and then booted and the info in about phone was correct zv9 ok then I turned the phone off to connect to qpst and it also read zv9 ok great. I then rerooted and restored backside then flashed cwmt recovery to connect to qpst. And qpst still says software is zv9. If it were only getting its info from the rom then once I flashed back to backside qpst should also change back to zv4. So I can only conclude that at least Part of the radio update is not being applied

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I can confirm exactly what you are saying. I just went through the same process and QPST is showing ZV9. Thanks for the heads up. It was easy to install and reroot with Jerry's instructions.

Reactions: thewraith420

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I can confirm exactly what you are saying. I just went through the same process and QPST is showing ZV9. Thanks for the heads up. It was easy to install and reroot with Jerry's instructions.

Guess this is my next project.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Ok sitting on a fresh backside install after wiping everything except sdcard qpst still has me on zv9 software and it did not change untill I flashed the update.zip from stock recovery.
Great, now we have a way to verify, thanks :)

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So where is stock recovery at? And should we flash that to make sure it takes?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Just flash the whole vm update twice. Flash once with iho or bobzhome reboot and let the rom load then shut down and enter recovery manually and flash again with your now stock recovery

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Why?
What are you hoping to accomplish?

Just flash the radio update and be done.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have a flashable stock recovery? Rather than doing the whole security update and rooting it

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have a flashable stock recovery? Rather than doing the whole security update and rooting it

thats an idea.... but remember on stock recovery the only option you have is to install update.zip from sdcard. so... you could try renaming the patch update.zip... but i dont know if that would work or mess anything up...

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

i could also note that the signal difference is still minimal.... prl update had a bigger effect for me

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Following the latest reports from thewraith, I am wondering now what would be the safest and surest way to flash this radio update and make sure it really takes:

1) Simply flash LeslieAnn's zip using any non-Touch, non-Multirom recovery -- hope and pray that it doesn't brick and that the update takes.

2) Rename LeslieAnn's ZIP to update.zip, flash stock recovery (I saved it when first rooting) and flash update.zip from there. Re-flash custom recovery, of course.

3) Run entire VM security update using Bobz/IHO recovery, re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure.

4) Ultra conservative: Restore stock ROM, flash stock recovery, unroot, run entire VM security update (using stock recovery), re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure. At least this way you'd think VM will make you whole in case something bad happens...

5) Any other steps prior to flashing that would help in case of accidents? I think someone mentioned a QPST backup (which I haven't tried).

Even minor radio improvements would be incredibly welcome on my phone, and I want to see if this one can help. But I am also a better safe than sorry kind of guy. Plus since there is no way to read the radio partition and really verify, I'm leaning towards the stockish approach.

Any input and advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Either use Jerry's install, or flash mine twice, should work.

Keep in mind, my installer is the stock installer, I just trimmed out the excess.

Reactions: Dannemand

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Either use Jerry's install, or flash mine twice, should work.

Keep in mind, my installer is the stock installer, I just trimmed out the excess.

Thanks LeslieAnn.

I couldn't help noticing from thewraith's description, that it only said "radio updating" when he rebooted AFTER flashing the whole shebang. Is it possible that the VM update merely queues the radio image for updating AFTER it has updated the recovery? So that the radio update actually depends in the new stock recovery in order to flash properly?

I know, I, it's speculation...

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have flashed the update in both my OV's. ( I have both a new and old model) and no problems with the installs. My old OV saw improvement but not the new one. (not any noticable improvement).

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Following the latest reports from thewraith, I am wondering now what would be the safest and surest way to flash this radio update and make sure it really takes:

1) Simply flash LeslieAnn's zip using any non-Touch, non-Multirom recovery -- hope and pray that it doesn't brick and that the update takes.

2) Rename LeslieAnn's ZIP to update.zip, flash stock recovery (I saved it when first rooting) and flash update.zip from there. Re-flash custom recovery, of course.

3) Run entire VM security update using Bobz/IHO recovery, re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure.

4) Ultra conservative: Restore stock ROM, flash stock recovery, unroot, run entire VM security update (using stock recovery), re-root & ROM using Jerry & jcase's new procedure. At least this way you'd think VM will make you whole in case something bad happens...

5) Any other steps prior to flashing that would help in case of accidents? I think someone mentioned a QPST backup (which I haven't tried).

Even minor radio improvements would be incredibly welcome on my phone, and I want to see if this one can help. But I am also a better safe than sorry kind of guy. Plus since there is no way to read the radio partition and really verify, I'm leaning towards the stockish approach.

Any input and advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

On 2. I'm not sure this would work and would want to hear from someone else before trying it

On 3. Once you flash the whole update and boot into the rom it will automatically flash the stock recovery. When I did it I had to boot back to stock recovery and install update.zip again to get the radio update.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
On 2. I'm not sure this would work and would want to hear from someone else before trying it

On 3. Once you flash the whole update and boot into the rom it will automatically flash the stock recovery. When I did it I had to boot back to stock recovery and install update.zip again to get the radio update.

Thanks wraith,

I see, so (3) really turns into (4) sort of. But then it sounded as if the radio update only happened on reboot after that second flash. That's what caught my attention.

I am wondering if some of the seemingly successful flashes that have been reported didn't really take - but caused no harm either.

Thanks again.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks wraith,

I see, so (3) really turns into (4) sort of. But then it sounded as if the radio update only happened on reboot after that second flash. That's what caught my attention.

I am wondering if some of the seemingly successful flashes that have been reported didn't really take - but caused no harm either.

Thanks again.

That's right it happened after installing update.zip from stock after hitting reboot system. I think Bobz and iho recovery are simply ignoring the radio.img and reporting successful flash

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

That's right it happened after installing update.zip from stock after hitting reboot system. I think Bobz and iho recovery are simply ignoring the radio.img and reporting successful flash

what about Xionia?

Status
Not open for further replies.