[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Ever since flashing the radio update, I have had three random reboots, two within five minutes of each other.

No overclock.

First time was when toggling airplane mode. The second two times were both right after I sent a text message (reboot during sending.)

Going to try a full wipe / flash today and see if that helps, but anyone else feel free to chime in, or is anyone else experiencing these symptoms?

I haven't experienced anything like that..... I did flash backside fresh shortly after doing the update. Maybe that's the difference.
Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Ever since flashing the radio update, I have had three random reboots, two within five minutes of each other.

No overclock.

First time was when toggling airplane mode. The second two times were both right after I sent a text message (reboot during sending.)

Going to try a full wipe / flash today and see if that helps, but anyone else feel free to chime in, or is anyone else experiencing these symptoms?
Me too, and my phone is normally a rock, even when overclocked - and this was without OC. Happened when I cycled airplane mode and OpenSignals was running. I guess the latter could be the cause.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Me too, and my phone is normally a rock, even when overclocked - and this was without OC. Happened when I cycled airplane mode and OpenSignals was running. I guess the latter could be the cause.

I flashed the radio again yesterday and tapatalk started force closing on me (and that's on froyo where I never get problems)

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Decided to try out OpenSignals to see if I could duplicate the problem but so far it runs fine.. Pretty cool app too...

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

I also have a 2.2.1 phone, and mine's at 480/806. I haven't had any problems, even when using airplane mode. However, I did have to flash the update 3 or 4 times because it kept bootlooping on me. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but just to throw it out there.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Decided to try out OpenSignals to see if I could duplicate the problem but so far it runs fine.. Pretty cool app too...

Yes, I was blown away the first time I tried OpenSignals. Only thing I don't like is it keeps running after you close it, notify whenever you loose or regain connection, and send tower data to the mothership in the background. And it does so even if you tell it not to under settings. You basically have to Force Stop it when you're done. But it's still really cool.

BTW I haven't seen any FCs or other stability problems other than that single time after my update. Wiped dalvik and cache, hopefully that took care of it.

Also updated my PRL to 60686 (from stock 61007). We'll see how it all goes.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I did have OpenSignal on there before, but I did a full wipe this morning and everything was smooth, until just now. Random reboot while texting. No overclock. Can someone take a second and tell me how to run a logcat? Isn't that what I should be doing to diagnose problems? I'm also using GoSMS if that's relevant.

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I did have OpenSignal on there before, but I did a full wipe this morning and everything was smooth, until just now. Random reboot while texting. No overclock. Can someone take a second and tell me how to run a logcat? Isn't that what I should be doing to diagnose problems? I'm also using GoSMS if that's relevant.

I've also had a few reboot issues after doing the radio update. After sending texts It will reboot (happens about once a day). I did a complete reinstall of Jerry's latest OS and am using Bobs recommended recovery.

I am going to try completely redoing the entire process again to see if that has any effect on the reboots.

P.S. The first time I flashed the VM9 zip (with the CWM-Based v4.0.1.5 recovery) I was stuck at the android screen for over 20 mins. I pulled the battery and booted into the stock recovery and installed VM9 again everything after that was normal. Should i have been stuck in that boot loop? If so should I have done something differently? And could that have been causing the randomish restarts that I am having now?

mishmosh2000

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

P.S. The first time I flashed the VM9 zip (with the CWM-Based v4.0.1.5 recovery) I was stuck at the android screen for over 20 mins. I pulled the battery and booted into the stock recovery and installed VM9 again everything after that was normal. Should i have been stuck in that boot loop? If so should I have done something differently? And could that have been causing the randomish restarts that I am having now?

Same thing happened to me. I pulled the battery, booted into stock recovery, factory reset, and rebooted. Just to make sure I had the update, I flashed VM9 from settings/AboutPhone/SWUpdate.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I recommend you flash the update, boot up, do a factory reset, flash the update again, then root it. ;)

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I recommend you flash the update, boot up, do a factory reset, flash the update again, then root it. ;)

I want to flash this radio update correctly but I'm lost. I'm running xionia recovery and my phone is already rooted, what are the steps exactly?

Also my phone is using the newer screen.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I want to flash this radio update correctly but I'm lost. I'm running xionia recovery and my phone is already rooted, what are the steps exactly?

Also my phone is using the newer screen.

Well you can flash the radio-only update that LeslieAnn posted on the OP - which won't affect your current ROM or anything else. You should use IHO/Bobzhome recovery, dunno about xionia. Do NOT use Touch or Multi-ROM recovery or you may brick.

Problem is there is some doubt whether that radio-update really takes, because it doesn't show as updated afterwards when checking the radio version. Wraith discovered this and has been leading the investigation. Could be just the version tag that never updates (but the radio itself does) or maybe the whole thing is just placebo.

If you want to be sure, you have to install the complete update that VMU posted. There is a link a few pages back in this thread. If you're on a custom ROM and/or recovery, you have to install it twice to be sure.

The steps have been posted many times the last few days. mrg666 posted a nice check list a few pages back. Doing this will wipe everything (ROM, recovery, root) and requires a factory reset first (wipes data). So nandroid first.

After this, you have to root again, using jcase's Gordita exploit posted by Jerry in a separate thread here.

Wow, that was more Swyping than I intended ;-)

Edit: or you can wait another day for brotherswing's writeup. Probably a good idea...

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

I'll definitely wait for brother swings tutorial for sure,.thanks guys

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I plan to investigate this just as soon as I get a spare OV or OS. I'm gonna run the update under strace and try to find out how the radio partition is unlocked so that we can update it and pull our original radio images.

If anyone has a spare OV or OS please PM me. I'm not gonna mess up my main phone doing this.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I plan to investigate this just as soon as I get a spare OV or OS. I'm gonna run the update under strace and try to find out how the radio partition is unlocked so that we can update it and pull our original radio images.

If anyone has a spare OV or OS please PM me. I'm not gonna mess up my main phone doing this.

I can't believe none of the phones already pledged for you came through yet. The radio was always this black hole; if you can crack it that would be great for us all. Keep asking in various threads, don't be shy. I'll steer potential donors your way if I see them.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
@brotherswing very cool! I've actually been feeling like this discussion needs its own thread. If I can help with anything let me know.

@tdm that'd be awesome! Doing the whole vm update works but is a pretty big hassle for only a marginal gain. I'll look forward to your findings. :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe none of the phones already pledged for you came through yet. The radio was always this black hole; if you can crack it that would be great for us all. Keep asking in various threads, don't be shy. I'll steer potential donors your way if I see them.

One was sent but misaddressed. It is presumably going to make it here in the next week. The other is from an admitted procrastinator. No idea if or when it will be shipped.

Reactions: Dannemand

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

AFAIK, there has only been the one phone donated by Dave, and it already has the radio flashed to it, so it can't be used for this, We need one that doesn't have the radio flashed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.