[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
it has nothing to do with being "scared" cole lol,it has to do with being smart. i consider the updates failure to apply without being done on a completely restored froyo rom a blessing of sorts in that it didn't take on my iho setup. i should have practiced patients versus jumping on the update without it being fully explored first. that's my fault. luckily no harm came from it. and considering all the long convoluted steps involved in order to just update the radio,i think ill pass.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't really directed at you specifically, just trying to clarify amongst all the other posts that there certainly can be benefits to flashing it.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Reactions: curtis1973

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to report my reboot issues seem to have stopped. However my phone does seem to take longer to connect a call or send a text. But the update does seem to have settled in

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: thewraith420

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

it has nothing to do with being "scared" cole lol,it has to do with being smart. i consider the updates failure to apply without being done on a completely restored froyo rom a blessing of sorts in that it didn't take on my iho setup. i should have practiced patients versus jumping on the update without it being fully explored first. that's my fault. luckily no harm came from it. and considering all the long convoluted steps involved in order to just update the radio,i think ill pass.

Technically speaking this isnt any different than updating any other phone. The problem is most phones have a way to go to the stock rom first. But seeing as how we can restore our stock nandroid then flash this means there is really only one more step. If I wanted to restore my sgs4g to stock I have to use odin/heimdall and that process can take some time. And you need a computer to return to stock on most phones. With this we can do it all on the phone. This update zip is so valuable I dont think people understand the importance of having it is.

I do understand what your saying tho. Just understand this update is easier than most others.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Technically speaking this isnt any different than updating any other phone. The problem is most phones have a way to go to the stock rom first. But seeing as how we can restore our stock nandroid then flash this means there is really only one more step. If I wanted to restore my sgs4g to stock I have to use odin/heimdall and that process can take some time. And you need a computer to return to stock on most phones. With this we can do it all on the phone. This update zip is so valuable I dont think people understand the importance of having it is.

I do understand what your saying tho. Just understand this update is easier than most others.

Exactly Eollie, this updates make all those "how to return to stock" threads useless now, since all we have to do is download the update and flash twice in recovery and voila! its stock.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

So I would have to re-do everything to get this?, Root,flash new rom, recovery, etc? My phone works just fine the way it is and is super fast, I think ill stick with what I've got. Thanks anyways Leslie ann:)

My version of the patch does NOT change everything, all it does is the radio.
However, you have to use a recommended recovery, and there is a chance that it will not flash. If you want it guaranteed 100% to work, and show up in testing, you need to use Jerry's, which will make you redo everything.

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I just wanted to give everyone an update on my quest to find a solution to the reboot problem that some of us are experiencing. The latest things I've tried are:

running fix_permissions from the terminal (dont do it from recovery )

running MiRaGe ROM

redoing the VM670ZV9 update process all over again, making sure to factory wipe in between flashes. Then installing Bobs latest ROM from scratch.

I still get reboots after sending some texts. I currently reformatted my SD card and am running the stock VM670ZV9 (not rooted) to see if I get reboots after texting. If anyone has other things I should check or do please feel free to reply or PM me.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

My version of the patch does NOT change everything, all it does is the radio.
However, you have to use a recommended recovery, and there is a chance that it will not flash. If you want it guaranteed 100% to work, and show up in testing, you need to use Jerry's, which will make you redo everything.

Are there any confirmed flashes of just the radio on a custom recovery?

I'm pretty sure that it requires the hboot|radio option to be set, and it gets written on reboot, not during the flashing process, which requires AFAIK the stock firmware.

(check your email ;))

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Quick question. I am using the stock VM9 rom and noticed the text app seems different from the text app from Jerrys ROM. Is it possible that the app used in Jerrys rom some how can cause issues with the radio update from VM9?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Quick question. I am using the stock VM9 rom and noticed the text app seems different from the text app from Jerrys ROM. Is it possible that the app used in Jerrys rom some how can cause issues with the radio update from VM9?

No, the interaction is handled by the ril (radio interface layer), not by the app. ;)

Reactions: Dannemand

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Are there any confirmed flashes of just the radio on a custom recovery?

I'm pretty sure that it requires the hboot|radio option to be set, and it gets written on reboot, not during the flashing process, which requires AFAIK the stock firmware.

(check your email ;))

I've been watching, and again, I'm not entirely convinced one way or another.
Using QPST is not a way to tell.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

If you check the recovery code, you'll see that the radio is installed outside of recovery, most likely by the lower level firmware. See /bootable/recovery/firmware.c and /bootable/recovery/install.c

Doesn't look like the radio can be flashed solo.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
@Jerry and/or Leslie - I know CMWT bricks with the vm security update, what about xionia? I'm asking so I can clarify my guide. Thanks!

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Dannemand, or anyone else who has done this: Has running the full stock update fixed the reboot / texting lag? (Meaning not flashing a custom ROM, just running the new stock software.) It was bad today for me, no reboots, but I basically have to send a text, then send another one in the same thread to the same person to get the first one to go through. Really frustrating.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

@Jerry and/or Leslie - I know CMWT bricks with the vm security update, what about xionia? I'm asking so I can clarify my guide. Thanks!

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

AFAIK Xionia is safe. The only ones I know are dangerous are the touch recovery and multi rom recovery.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I have an important day tomorrow and need my phone, my best friend / brotha from anotha motha is having a baby (well, he isn't, his lady is, you know what I mean, lol.) I'm gonna be an uncle. Going to go back to full VM9 update stock tonight, I think, and see how it acts tomorrow.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

If you check the recovery code, you'll see that the radio is installed outside of recovery, most likely by the lower level firmware. See /bootable/recovery/firmware.c and /bootable/recovery/install.c

Doesn't look like the radio can be flashed solo.

I would imagine that would take a much different line of code for the install, and yet the installer from Virgin doesn't make use of anything special.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Ive started to experience random reboots since flashing the security update to get the radio to stick. I did a clean install of the 4/3 build of mirage iho. Experienced 3 reboots today, while using the phone or sending a text. I'm running what was a stock 2.2.1 ZV4 phone with the 61677 PRL update.

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I would imagine that would take a much different line of code for the install, and yet the installer from Virgin doesn't make use of anything special.
I've been doing a lot of research on this the past few days, both in the code of AOSP and CM's recoveries, and using my google-fu. Everything seems to point to the radio being flashed outside of recovery.

Examples:
CDMA Hero: Fresh Rom – CDMA Android Development ? How To: Flash a Radio Update
(behaves as I've described, except it reboots back into recovery after the radio flash)
Thunderbolt: http://forums.androidcentral.com/bionic-rooting-roms-hacks/124429-radio-file-flash.html#post1320731
(flashed in recovery like our update zip, but must use hboot to finish flashing the radio)
Android-Dev-Phone: Android Dev Phone 1: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki
(flashing of radio occurs outside recovery during reboot process)

I've also read documentation indicating the recovery does not have access to the radio, only the bootloader does, which of course runs before recovery is started.

Together with the code examples I've previously cited, I'm pretty much convinced. Not to mention the donor phone and my sister-in-law's phone both exhibited the same reboot then message displayed about flashing radio when I ran the full update. On my phone and my sister-in-law's, just flashing your radio update zip did not work (based on the value of the soc0/build_id).

Have I missed something that shows it being flashed successfully within recovery? You know I like hot-sauce if you make me eat my words! ;)

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I did a bunch of testing yesterday, and I'm not finished yet. (Getting ADB again after messing around with drivers to get QPST working is what took the longest :mad: )

On the subject of radio flashing: I personally don't think there is any doubt that the radio only flashes on the first reboot after flashing the stock recovery in update.zip. Wraith's original mention of that "flashing radio" message was the first clue. And Jerry's studies seem to bear that out. Thanks again, Jerry!

About reproducing the reboots in IHO after updating: I found that the best way was to cycle airplane mode, then send an SMS to myself, then keep cycling these two actions. After one or two cycles, SMS messages will take longer and longer to send and receive -- eventually messages never arrive until the phone is rebooted. Sometimes it'll reboot after a few cycles. In my old days of assembler and C programming, I would instantly look for a memory leak, particular one with a mismatched number of arguments in a library call. (Don't know if that's even possible in modern languages). Jerry mentioned the ril interface. That kind of thing would be my first suspect as it's likely to have been updated along with ZV9. I haven't been coding in many, MANY years (I'm an old dude) so I'm afraid I cannot provide more specifics beyond this kind of speculation.

About my stability tests: Nothing I've tried so far has brought stability in IHO. That includes fresh IHO installs (MiRaGe, I assume it's the same on all) and double-flashing of the VMU update.zip (factory restores in between). However, having run the new stock since yesterday, I have NOT been able to reproduce any instability, reboots or lag with airplane mode and/or SMS -- or anything else for that matter.

Other than that, stock isn't a whole lot of fun -- particularly since I'm unrooted :( Now that I finally have ADB again, I'll be rooting this afternoon and try again with a fresh IHO install.

I don't know if this is any help in steering you devs in the right direction. I'll report more when I am done testing, hopefully tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: tdm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay