[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

It looks like we are on the same testing schedule. I too used the stock VM9 rom all day yesterday and had no reboots. Im going to root and stay on this rom to see if I get any reboots after rooting. Good luck!

Reactions: Dannemand

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

(Getting ADB again after messing around with drivers to get QPST working is what took the longest :mad: )

:( Now that I finally have ADB again, I'll be rooting this afternoon and try again with a fresh IHO install.

Thanks in advance!

uhmm - dannemand - I am for sure scared of adb now !!

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

uhmm - dannemand - I am for sure scared of adb now !!

LOL :D Maybe I shouldn't have posted that...

The only thing bad about ADB is to get the drivers working in Windows. It can be a breeze or it can be a hassle. XP is generally a lot easier -- Win7 32-bit maybe too. Win7/64 can be tricky. Once the drivers are running, ABD isn't bad at all.

I found that in the newer version of the LG Unified Drivers (3.2) the ADB Sooner driver is not properly signed, which is what causes problems in Win7/64. And once 3.2 has been installed, no amount of uninstalling will get it working again, even with the older drivers. Of course you can dig deep and find the right registry entries to remove. In my case I just restored an earlier image and started over with 2.1 drivers -- no problem with those.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

It looks like we are on the same testing schedule. I too used the stock VM9 rom all day yesterday and had no reboots. Im going to root and stay on this rom to see if I get any reboots after rooting. Good luck!

Thank you! Yes, I did see your earlier post just now when I caught up with this thread. Sorry I was out of the loop for a while.

@cole, same there: Did see your post from last night now. Thank you!

I am still puzzled as to why some users are not seeing these issues at all, if indeed there is an incompability betwen IHO and the new radio. Maybe it is somewhere else entirely that we haven't thought of...

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I did a bunch of testing yesterday, and I'm not finished yet. (Getting ADB again after messing around with drivers to get QPST working is what took the longest :mad: )

On the subject of radio flashing: I personally don't think there is any doubt that the radio only flashes on the first reboot after flashing the stock recovery in update.zip. Wraith's original mention of that "flashing radio" message was the first clue. And Jerry's studies seem to bear that out. Thanks again, Jerry!

About reproducing the reboots in IHO after updating: I found that the best way was to cycle airplane mode, then send an SMS to myself, then keep cycling these two actions. After one or two cycles, SMS messages will take longer and longer to send and receive -- eventually messages never arrive until the phone is rebooted. Sometimes it'll reboot after a few cycles. In my old days of assembler and C programming, I would instantly look for a memory leak, particular one with a mismatched number of arguments in a library call. (Don't know if that's even possible in modern languages). Jerry mentioned the ril interface. That kind of thing would be my first suspect as it's likely to have been updated along with ZV9. I haven't been coding in many, MANY years (I'm an old dude) so I'm afraid I cannot provide more specifics beyond this kind of speculation.

About my stability tests: Nothing I've tried so far has brought stability in IHO. That includes fresh IHO installs (MiRaGe, I assume it's the same on all) and double-flashing of the VMU update.zip (factory restores in between). However, having run the new stock since yesterday, I have NOT been able to reproduce any instability, reboots or lag with airplane mode and/or SMS -- or anything else for that matter.

Other than that, stock isn't a whole lot of fun -- particularly since I'm unrooted :( Now that I finally have ADB again, I'll be rooting this afternoon and try again with a fresh IHO install.

I don't know if this is any help in steering you devs in the right direction. I'll report more when I am done testing, hopefully tonight.

Thanks in advance!

i tried to recreate your reboots on my phone. it didn't reboot, but I had to yank the battery.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I am still puzzled as to why some users are not seeing these issues at all, if indeed there is an incompability betwen IHO and the new radio. Maybe it is somewhere else entirely that we haven't thought of...
Maybe they just arent seeing the reboots. As in not noticing them. I suggest putting in a pleasant bootsound for this purpose. Without any sound from the phone if it is in your pocket or the screen locked on your desk you might not notice it. When I applied the full update I seen the applying radio update message too.

--------------------edited to add-----------------------

Another way to check and see if you are getting silent reboots is hit settings>about phone>status then scroll to up time. If you know you havent rebooted in a while and the times dont match....ding ding ding you have gotten a reboot.

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Just thought i'd post this here too: I'm trying to rebuild bumblebee, but there's something in the update that breaks screen rotation with non-stock kernels...

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

i tried to recreate your reboots on my phone. it didn't reboot, but I had to yank the battery.

Thank you. Yeah, that's close enough. Pretty much anything can happen if it's a memory leak or stack overflow.

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The way I can tell if I get reboots is an unclean shut down notice from NO FRILLS CPU

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

From the comments posted here, especially by Dannemand, it is starting to look like the radio update may have changed the baseband RIL API. Not enough to stop it from working, just enough to make it unstable.

Unfortunately, getting to the bottom of this is going to be a pretty big technical challenge. One thing I would suggest doing is to copy rild and all the ril libs from the VM updated system into your IHO system and test to see if it stabilizes. Of course, you need to be pretty technical to do this. I'm hoping someone on this thread is up to the task.

I hear lots of talk about kernel/baseband compatibility in the LS670 community. So it would be nice to compare the new and old kernel sources. But unfortunately, it seems that LG has not released the kernel sources for the update yet. I am hoping that they do -- they seem to be pretty good about releasing the sources for the LS670 updates, so perhaps they're backlogged, or perhaps they just haven't gotten a request yet.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

About reproducing the reboots in IHO after updating: I found that the best way was to cycle airplane mode, then send an SMS to myself, then keep cycling these two actions. After one or two cycles, SMS messages will take longer and longer to send and receive -- eventually messages never arrive until the phone is rebooted.

I have done six cycles exactly as you have described - toggle airplane mode, send an SMS, wait for it to be sent, toggle again, repeat. No crashes or freezes, all of the messages were sent and received. I would recommend you to do the update/radio flash procedure again. There might be something incorrectly or partially flashed. My uptime is more than 19 hours right now. I am not able to reproduce these reboots and there is no IHO/CM7 incompatibility with the ZV9 radio as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

From the comments posted here, especially by Dannemand, it is starting to look like the radio update may have changed the baseband RIL API. Not enough to stop it from working, just enough to make it unstable.

Unfortunately, getting to the bottom of this is going to be a pretty big technical challenge. One thing I would suggest doing is to copy rild and all the ril libs from the VM updated system into your IHO system and test to see if it stabilizes. Of course, you need to be pretty technical to do this. I'm hoping someone on this thread is up to the task.

I hear lots of talk about kernel/baseband compatibility in the LS670 community. So it would be nice to compare the new and old kernel sources. But unfortunately, it seems that LG has not released the kernel sources for the update yet. I am hoping that they do -- they seem to be pretty good about releasing the sources for the LS670 updates, so perhaps they're backlogged, or perhaps they just haven't gotten a request yet.

I have compared the RIL libraries in the update and in our proprietary files in the IHO repo. They are the same.

Edit: these are the files I checked. They have the same MD5sum.
/system/lib/libril-qc-1.so
/system/lib/libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
/system/lib/libril.so
/system/bin/rild

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I have compared the RIL libraries in the update and in our proprietary files in the IHO repo. They are the same.

Edit: these are the files I checked. They have the same MD5sum.
/system/lib/libril-qc-1.so
/system/lib/libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
/system/lib/libril.so
/system/bin/rild

Thanks a lot, mrg666, that takes that one off the table. So much for my hunches :(

I absolutely believe you that some (hopefully most) users are not having any issues, which would point to flash errors -- as always. The only reason I've raised this is because those who ARE having issues all seem to hit them at the exact same tasks involving the radio. As I mentioned before, it's not the same old issues (including random ones) that we're used to seeing in the IHO thread.

For my part, I am one of your greatest fans, and I am not in the habit of whining about stability or bugs -- as I hope you'll agree. I approach my updating conservatively, and I know where to look when things get wonky. This one just has a different and more consistent smell to it.

All that said, my latest fresh MiRaGe install today actually DOES seem to be stable -- after doing my third full VMU update (twice, of course, with factory wipe before both, as I did the other times). At least I've not been able to reproduce reboots or extreme SMS delays yet.

Of course my focus now is to try and see if I can reproduce the issues again. I still believe there is a reason why a larger percentage than usual experience the exact same radio related issues after making this radio update.

Thanks again!

Reactions: mrg666

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Those with reboot issues, what radio version did you have before flashing? I have a launch day v, zv4 radio 2.2.1 os

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks a lot, mrg666, that takes that one off the table. So much for my hunches :(

I absolutely believe you that some (hopefully most) users are not having any issues, which would point to flash errors -- as always. The only reason I've raised this is because those who ARE having issues all seem to hit them at the exact same tasks involving the radio. As I mentioned before, it's not the same old issues (including random ones) that we're used to seeing in the IHO thread.

For my part, I am one of your greatest fans, and I am not in the habit of whining about stability or bugs -- as I hope you'll agree. I approach my updating conservatively, and I know where to look when things get wonky. This one just has a different and more consistent smell to it.

All that said, my latest fresh MiRaGe install today actually DOES seem to be stable -- after doing my third full VMU update (twice, of course, with factory wipe before both, as I did the other times). At least I've not been able to reproduce reboots or extreme SMS delays yet.

Of course my focus now is to try and see if I can reproduce the issues again. I still believe there is a reason why a larger percentage than usual experience the exact same radio related issues after making this radio update.

Thanks again!

I tried your test because you have been a dependable forum member. I am glad that the problem seems to be gone on your side. I think we are pushing these poor little phones a little too hard. Leave it alone for a while.

There is nothing beneficial in this update for us; proprietary files and radio update are both useless for the CM7 users. I had tested the radio update when nothing was actually flashed. There was no difference. I have tested the new radio again after we really could flash the radio. There is still no difference. The only thing we had to take care was rooting it. IMHO, we are done with this update and someone should close this thread and put an "avoid this update" notice in the OP. It did not bring anything other than trouble.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I tried your test because you have been a dependable forum member. I am glad that the problem seems to be gone on your side. I think we are pushing these poor little phones a little too hard. Leave it alone for a while.

There is nothing beneficial in this update for us; proprietary files and radio update are both useless for the CM7 users. I had tested the radio update when nothing was actually flashed. There was no difference. I have tested the new radio again after we really could flash the radio. There is still no difference. The only thing we had to take care was rooting it. IMHO, we are done with this update and someone should close this thread and put an "avoid this update" notice in the OP. It did not bring anything other than trouble.

I can definitely agree that from a support point of view, we'd all wish this update never existed. And I agree with a big warning in the OP.

Keep in mind, though, that these phones vary in how good their radios are, and the promise of ANY radio improvement is very alluring for those of us with weak radios. My wife and I got OVs on the same day and she always consistently had better connection, fewer dropouts, more speed than me. In every other way, my phone is far more stable that hers. I think I am getting better signal after the update -- though not dramatically.

Also, I'd like to keep this thread open a little while longer -- though I understand the burden it puts on you devs. There are still members here who have stability problems after installing the update, and just as we want to help people who inadvertently bricked their phones, I want to try and nail this one. I am happy to simply report back to you devs if and when we find something more conclusively, so you don't have to respond to every post here.

BTW, after restoring my latest MiRaGe nandroid, I was able to reproduce the reboot with about 10 cycles of the airplane mode/SMS test. So it doesn't appear that the the latest run of update.zip is what made the difference. I am now trying different nandroids to try and isolate.

Thanks again. As always!

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Reboots aside, I have noticed an improvement in call quality. When I flashed the security update, I didnt do a full wipe between the first and second flash. I suppose I'll go through the process again.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I havehad no stability problems UNTILL I just decided to send myself a text after reading about its a way to reproduce the problem and as fast as I could hit the send button bam reboot. Really strange as this is my first issue to do with the update. Before trying I was going on 20 hours of uptime

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer