[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
ok guys no more need to double flash the update.zip i've extracted the zv9 recovery and tested it on my phone. so the new method should be

1. Nandroid backup from current custom recovery
2. place the VM update.zip on the root of your sd card
3. flash stock zv9 recovery useing your prefered method (terminal, flash_image_gui, or backside updater)
4. boot to recovery
5. wipe data / factory reset
6. apply sdcard:update.zip
7. reboot system now

congratulations your now on stock zv9 unrooted with the new zv9 radio.

Follow the instructions Here
to re-root and install custom recovery and finally restore your nandroid.

Thank you so much for this, Wraith420. For us noobs that are reading, I think what you mean is:

You extracted the new ZV9 recovery, not the ZV9 radio firmware.

Flashing this file then somehow prevents the need for installing the update twice if we follow your directions.

Is my understanding correct? I thank you for clarification.

Further questions: Would not step #1 be redundant? In other words, I'm thinking a Nandroid backup is false security here, because once you flash the update, your radio firmware is changed and Nandroid isn't going to revert that change.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
droidmyme instead of passive-aggressively insulting people and doubting anybody that doesn't have a dev tag sit back and soak this stuff in.

I'm sorry eollie, I didn't mean to insult you. It's just that I in all the years I've owned a cell phone, I've yet to experience any serious antenna issues and so naturally I would doubt that unless you could offer some hard proof. I'm sorry but that's just my thought.

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

So, LeslieAnn's method and or VM9 Radio update .zip file is invalid or may brick or do nothing at all?

Reactions: droidmyme

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for this, Wraith420. For us noobs that are reading, I think what you mean is:

You extracted the new ZV9 recovery, not the ZV9 radio firmware.

Flashing this file then somehow prevents the need for installing the update twice if we follow your directions.

Is my understanding correct? I thank you for clarification.

Further questions: Would not step #1 be redundant? In other words, I'm thinking a Nandroid backup is false security here, because once you flash the update, your radio firmware is changed and Nandroid isn't going to revert that change.

The radio will be flashed by the stock recovery on the reboot after applying the update from virgin mobile.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
And while the nandroid won't revert the radio it will get you back on your favorite rom in the same state it was before the update

Last edited:

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

Well her .zip file is the only like 6.5MB In size.... so yeah it's not the entire vm update with the whole ROM ....
will this not work this way anymore without somebody not going back to total stock vm's new update rom is basically what I'm trying to find out

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Well her .zip file is the only like 6.5MB In size.... so yeah it's not the entire vm update with the whole ROM ....
will this not work this way anymore without somebody not going back to total stock vm's new update rom is basically what I'm trying to find out

No the stock recovery with the official update is currently the only way to update the radio. I've recently flashed flashed from vm zv9 to sprint zvh where I had no data and back virgin zv9. When I was on zvh I tried flashing leslies radio only patch and it didn't work only way back was to use the official virgin update.zip and stock recovery.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Update: running Quattrimus alpha 7 and no longer seeing SMS lag / reboots

Yep, that's what I found too (I was testing quattrimus alpha 8 though). Stock and ICS don't have the lags or the reboots. I may test theunknownartist's GB ROM as well, as it's supposed to be more AOSP.

Nevertheless, I am back on MiRaGe 04/03 now and haven't had any reboots since yesterday afternoon. SMS lags not too bad either, but I haven't texted much today. In any case will it take more to get me off the IHO/MiRaGe goodness. I really do like this ROM, it's been an incredible workhorse for me. But in hindsight, I wish I hadn't flashed that update.

I plan to write up my tests and conclusions for the devs this weekend.

Edit: And boom, just rebooted now as I as texting my wife. Interestingly, the message actually gets send even though it reboots the moment you touch the send button.

Last edited:

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Yep, that's what I found too (I was testing quattrimus alpha 8 though). Stock and ICS don't have the lags or the reboots. I may test theunknownartist's GB ROM as well, as it's supposed to be more AOSP.

Nevertheless, I am back on MiRaGe 04/03 now and haven't had any reboots since yesterday afternoon. SMS lags not too bad either, but I haven't texted much today. In any case will it take more to get me off the IHO/MiRaGe goodness. I really do like this ROM, it's been an incredible workhorse for me. But in hindsight, I wish I hadn't flashed that update.

I plan to write up my tests and conclusions for the devs this weekend.

Very interesting. If this is true, it means the Sprint GB kernel (on which quattrimus is based) has the support necessary for the new ZV9 baseband.

This might turn out to be a good reason to jump to the GB kernel for IHO.

Reactions: Dannemand

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Very interesting. If this is true, it means the Sprint GB kernel (on which quattrimus is based) has the support necessary for the new ZV9 baseband.

I was able to reproduce the reboot today while sending text messages one after another just to test. I have also tested the IScream kernel with CM7.2. It boots and seems to be working although it has a noticeably sluggish response. But the main problem is that the phone wakes up to a black screen after going to sleep. I have not figured out the cause yet. This is for discussing in a different thread.

PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM THIS UPDATE.

Reactions: Dannemand

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Didn't realize you were using the GB kernel in quattrimus. Is the reason we aren't already using that in IHO because we didn't have the Sprint GB back then or what?

Again, if there's anything you want me to test or try, I'm happy to do so. Just pm me.

Edit: read mrg's after posting this.

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I was able to reproduce the reboot today while sending text messages one after another just to test. I have also tested the IScream kernel with CM7.2. It boots and seems to be working although it has a noticeably sluggish response. But the main problem is that the phone wakes up to a black screen after going to sleep. I have not figured out the cause yet. This is for discussing in a different thread.

PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM THIS UPDATE.

Its a very very strange update...
To illustrate: EarthnFire78 has.has been helping me with updating bumblebee using the security update like you suggested mrg. Now, obviously I replaced the kernel, and when I replaces the kernel, other things broke (screen rotation, wifi, sd storage, some other things possibly). Now some old kernels had everything working but rotation and the iho kernels had rotation but the other things were broken.

In an effort to get the wifi working, EarthnFire fixed the wireless.ko module so that the bobzhome kernel + the updated driver made wifi work for him. I took the same files and replaced them in the update, and wifi doesn't work for me.

The point of this is that this update is just very strange... I went so far as to replace 90% of the files in the update with older known working files, and there were still problems.

I'm thinking like mrg is saying, that this whole thing is a junk useless update, unless you need to return to stock.

/rant

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Again, it is not a useless update.

I have seen greatly improved reception and data speeds, as have others.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Even more strange when you add in the fact that some say the update doesn't even work at all.

This thread is a mess. It's almost impossible to keep track of who flashed the radio-only update (which doesn't work), who did the non-working radio only update and are running IHO therefore seeing no issues because the update didn't actually take, or who flashed the full update (which DOES write the radio), or who flashed it correctly and just didn't see an improvement (which is also possible.)

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I still don't get how the problems are effecting some but not everyone who's done the update

Even though airplane mode and SMS are the surest ways to reproduce the problem, clearly other things affect it. I think I mentioned in an earlier post how on a fresh and naked Mirage, it took many test cycles for me to reproduce it, whereas on a fully loaded phone it took only a few. Also, how I use the phone during the day affects it: Today I only sent a few SMS (and didn't see too much lag) and it still rebooted.

Add to this Eollies point that phones are different hardware wise. I can testify to differences in radio performance even among OVs bought on the same day.

Mrg described how he's had the update on three different OVs, yet he only saw the problem today once he set out to reproduce it with lots of texting.

In other words: what people have on their phone and how they use it determine how likely they are to see the problem - even if it is latent in all radio-updated phones with IHO.

Raul720

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I installed the zv9 update the complete way. I was running without any problems with the April 1st backside. Today I updated to the latest version with a clean install. I also replaced my sdcard. Now I also have the reboot problems that others are mentioning. My phone will reboot randomly when sending texts. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.