[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

Is this the same as the update here?: [Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically challenged - Android Forums

This one seems way easier... lol o_O

Well.. in short yes its the same update. this thread existed first and found the method of double flashing the update to get the radio to stick and hasn't really went into how to root the phone after flashing as that one has. there is also a lot more discussions here about figuring out the reboot issue the zv9 update has brought.

hamfactorial

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm running harmonia 1.8 and I just got a reboot on SMS send. I switched from IHO after updating to the VM9 radio and getting lots of reboots on CM7.

I was mildly overclocked to 787, but I've set it to 600 performance to see if I can reproduce it.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
A little of both, actually. But all of what I put in that guide can be found right here in this thread. I just saved people a whole bunch of searching, and put it all in one place. :)

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
@tdm: just briefly, your gingerkernel survived the day with no reboots and no significant sms delays. Importantly, that includes running twenty of my test cycles (15 sec airplane mode, SMS to my VM number, SMS to my GV number which forwards to my VM).

So that's 20 airplane mode cycles and 40 messages sent and received. I never saw any lags sending (few secs at most) but a few times delivery of SMSs backed up, then arrived ketchup-style. It could well be the VMU network causing this.

A few days ago, I would've already considered that conclusive, but after this weekend's testing, I'm more conservative. Still, since ZV9, I've never done this many messages on IHO without seeing significant delays both sending and receiving (far more than I saw today). So that's promising so far.

Oh, and all of it was OC'ed (480-768, smartassv2). Most of my controlled testing has been non-OC, but many reboots have occurred during daily use when I WAS OC'ed. I have a feeling that clockspeed affects this - even when it's safely within the phone's stable range.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
the screen wakeup issue sound like what happens with when trying gingerkernel or iscream kernel on IHO. turn off the screen on/off animations and turn your min clock up a bit. the governer made a difference too but i cant remember what one i had the best results with....
Thanks Wraith,

Yeah I disabled the screen on/off animations which helps some. I haven't had to pull the battery since, but it still won't wake up sometimes and I have to push power several times. Maybe that would've done it those first times a well.

I use 480-768 and the smartassv2 governor. I notice this kernel doesn't have Interactive, only InteractiveX. And then a few others I haven't seen before.

It looks promising so far re the reboots and SMS lags.

Last edited:

hamfactorial

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten two more reboots on SMS send, using Harmonia 1.8. I locked the phone to 600, so I don't think this is an issue with CPU stability.

I notice that Harmonia 1.8 is based on Android 2.2.1, where the newest VM9 is a 2.2.2. Perhaps there is some special magic in the new framework that deals with messages on the VM network.

Leslie, do you have plans to update Harmonia with elements in the new update.zip? I will try reinstalling the VM update tonight, rooting it and seeing if I get SMS reboots on that platform.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I've gotten two more reboots on SMS send, using Harmonia 1.8. I locked the phone to 600, so I don't think this is an issue with CPU stability.

I notice that Harmonia 1.8 is based on Android 2.2.1, where the newest VM9 is a 2.2.2. Perhaps there is some special magic in the new framework that deals with messages on the VM network.

Leslie, do you have plans to update Harmonia with elements in the new update.zip? I will try reinstalling the VM update tonight, rooting it and seeing if I get SMS reboots on that platform.

I can't answer for any of the dev's on here, but the problem seems to be that the kernels that are being used in our Froyo / GB ROMs which stem from the kernel source code that LG released for the first version of the software on our phones, isn't fully compatible with this new update, which LG has yet to release the source code for. Which means that none of these ROMs will work properly, no matter the version, except for the Quattrimus alpha, which I've been running for days with no issues.

So, once that happens, it will be up to the developers to rework their kernels or not, or to just tell those who flashed to either use stock or Quattrimus, and others to not flash the update.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Actually, it's had some elements of it before we even got the update. ;)

I can't answer for any of the dev's on here, but the problem seems to be that the kernels that are being used in our Froyo / GB ROMs which stem from the kernel source code that LG released for the first version of the software on our phones, isn't fully compatible with this new update, which LG has yet to release the source code for.
That is quite possible that something was changed, but there may be an even simpler fix, which, I'll see about implementing next update.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I've been running bumblebee 2.4 for several days now with no reboots when sending SMS. The bumblebee kernel is different from the picasticks kernel found in harmonia and the bumblebee resurrected roms, its not compatible with newer screens. So only try bumblebee 2.4 if you have an older V that came 2.2.1/ZV4 stock.

nijel

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

Try it. Extract the boot.img from bumblebee's ROM and in bootloader run:
Code:
fastboot boot X:\path\to\boot.img

Nothing is flashed. It just reboots the phone's ROM with bumblebee's kernel. If the phone boots to IHO - good, if not just remove battery and reboot.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I've been running bumblebee 2.4 for several days now with no reboots when sending SMS. The bumblebee kernel is different from the picasticks kernel found in harmonia and the bumblebee resurrected roms, its not compatible with newer screens. So only try bumblebee 2.4 if you have an older V that came 2.2.1/ZV4 stock.

Could I use that kernel with BACKside? I have the Novatek screen so I'm good there...

You can use the kernel with IHO, and I am sure it will boot, but I doubt that wifi will work, and possibly UMS will not work. It wont hurt to try, I can't remember exactly what kernels I've used, but I have booted froyo kernels on IHO and IHO kernels on froyo, and there are no problems except the above mentioned things not working correctly.

Try it. Extract the boot.img from bumblebee's ROM and in bootloader run:
Code:
fastboot boot X:\path\to\boot.img

Nothing is flashed. It just reboots the phone's ROM with bumblebee's kernel. If the phone boots to IHO - good, if not just remove battery and reboot.

You can take the boot.img from bumblebee resurrected if you don't have a copy of 2.4, because right now all that resurrected is doing is flashing picasticks over the older bumblebee kernel. But what's wrong with the picasticks kernel, are zv9 users getting reboots with it?

nijel

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

I just tried to boot IHO with bb kernel and it seems to boot, I can access and browse all partitions except /sdcard with QtADB, shell commands works, but the phone itself stays in the bootloader's blue screen so no GUI, ha-ha.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I just tried to boot IHO with bb kernel and it seems to boot, I can access and browse all partitions except /sdcard with QtADB, shell commands works, but the phone itself stays in the bootloader's blue screen so no GUI, ha-ha.

Hahaha, I guess I haven't booted a froyo kernel on a gb rom. I couldn't remember.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You can take the boot.img from bumblebee resurrected if you don't have a copy of 2.4, because right now all that resurrected is doing is flashing picasticks over the older bumblebee kernel. But what's wrong with the picasticks kernel, are zv9 users getting reboots with it?

I tried running the full stock update with the Picasticks kernel and got the same lagging / freezing / reboot issues with SMS.

EDIT -- Got a response from LG about the source code. They said if it wasn't on the website I could contact the open source team directly, which I did right away, but I got an "out of office" reply, says they will respond after 4/20.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Got an e-mail from LG saying they forwarded my request for the update source code to the proper department and it could take some time to see a response. So, we'll see. I'll post back as soon as I hear something.

Reactions: Dannemand and tdm

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
ad11f7f7-39c1-e06a.jpg

Reactions: cole2kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members