[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

Sweeeeeeeeeeet. I thought running CM9 fixed the issues but I had a reboot yesterday and huge lag the last couple of days, even after a fresh flash. Back to stock I go. :'(

Dannemand: How is that Mirage build with Gingerkernel working out for you? Any issues?

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

After five days of using tdm's GingerKernel on my MiRaGe 04/03, I have to conclude that it fixes any issues with reboots and SMS lags that I've had since flashing ZV9.

I wanted to be conservative about this: Last weekend I suddenly found that I could no longer reproduce reboots on my regular IHO install, so I am not as bullish about my repro steps as I used to be. (As mentioned in a previous post, the reboots promptly returned once I stopped testing and just tried to use the phone normally :mad: )

So I wanted to be extra thorough this time. I tested ONLY my normal install, not on fresh installs -- since my purpose was to see if tdm's kernel would fix a known "flawed" install. In addition to five days of regular use with full overclock, it included rounds of controlled testing, running twenty of my test cycles (15 sec airplane mode, SMS to my VM number, SMS to my GV number which forwards to my VM -- 40 messages sent and received).

I have had no reboots whatsoever. At no point have I seen any lags more than a couple seconds sending SMS messages. As mentioned in my preliminary findings a few days ago, delivery of messages occasionally backed up during heavy sending, then arrived ketchup-style. That could be the VMU network causing this.

Also, I have not experienced a single error sending messages nor failed to receive any (none that I know of). Before GingerKernel (and after ZV9 update) I would regularly have messages not being sent, failing with a red triangle (error code -1 under message details). And some messages (during controlled tests and from my wife) simply never arrived. I haven't seen a single instance of that with GingerKernel.

I have to conclude that this has fixed the ZV9 issues for me on this particular ROM.

Another odd observation: Although my WiFi speedtest results seem to be slower than before (same router and ISP), browsing and other data tasks actually seem to be snappier -- sometimes quite significantly. This is admittedly more subjective, and I don't know if it is possible at all. But I wanted to mention it.

The only issues I have experienced with this kernel were: (1) It is often reluctant to wake-up the screen, requiring several button pushes (initially I thought it had frozen and pulled the battery, but that's not necessary). And (2) According to CPU Spy it seems to spent less time Deep Sleeping -- but I haven't had any battery issues despite that.

I still need to go back now to my nandroid before GingerKernel and make sure that the problems return -- but I keep finding excuses to postpone that ;)

So thanks a lot to tdm for providing this, it helped me get a stable phone back. But more importantly do I hope we can use this to nail whatever is cauding these issues in the first place. Also thanks to cole2kb for reaching out to LG. Maybe we'll get that new stock kernel source after all so we can begin to compare them.

Last edited:

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Well.. as soon as LG releases the source, ill diff between it an the old one and patch up my kernel. Anyone willing to test?

But, didn't tdm come to the conclusion that the only difference between os and ov kernels is the button mapping? We could use the ls670zv9 source for this too

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Well.. as soon as LG releases the source, ill diff between it an the old one and patch up my kernel. Anyone willing to test?

But, didn't tdm come to the conclusion that the only difference between os and ov kernels is the button mapping? We could use the ls670zv9 source for this too

I believe that there was one more difference but I can't remember it. And I would test

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Yeah all the devs need to do this, or switch to the gb kernel.

Yes the buttons are the only difference. But vm zv9 != ls zv9. It's probably closer to ls zvh.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Also those of you that have been around for a while do you remember which baseband the Optimus S had major problems with? IIRC there was a process posted on how to update then revert back for root purposes. Plus that particular baseband was horrible for the phone it was creating issues.

BUMP

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah all the devs need to do this, or switch to the gb kernel.

Yes the buttons are the only difference. But vm zv9 != ls zv9. It's probably closer to ls zvh.

Is there anything preventing us from just using gingerkernel like you did for quattrimus? Would we have to make any major changes?

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there anything preventing us from just using gingerkernel like you did for quattrimus? Would we have to make any major changes?

Not at all. The major reason that IHO uses a froyo kernel is that the GB kernel had not been released when IHO was created.

That said, much time and effort has been put into the IHO kernel, and it would be reasonable to assume that some of the kernel developers would rather backport the radio changes than update.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Anyone who's trying the Gingerkernel with that Mirage build, are you able to use your camera? I get a solid white screen instead of the preview.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Oops, yes, you're right. Goes to show how rarely I use my camera. I have not tested the entire ROM comprehensively, only the radio stuff. There could be other trouble areas if many users start taking it through its paces.

For me this is still a no-brainer tradeoff because I rarely use the camera.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Oops, yes, you're right. Goes to show how rarely I use my camera. I have not tested the entire ROM comprehensively, only the radio stuff. There could be other trouble areas if many users start taking it through its paces.

For me this is still a no-brainer tradeoff because I rarely use the camera.

I use my camera a decent amount, youre right, not a huge deal though.

When I was playing with the OS gingerkernel thekraven provided a fix for the cam ill post it later :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Getting the same white screen playing video too, hopefully that takes care of it too.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

If this works out, we won't use the gingerkernel directly for IHO.

We'll go back to the original Sprint sources. Then we will not have any of the ICS specific changes (including whatever messed up the camera). And then we'll apply any IHO specific changes on top of it.

I was just too lazy to do this when making a test kernel for Dannemand. It was much easier to just drop in the quattrimus kernel binary. :p

Reactions: Dannemand

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^^
Spot on: This was a test to see if GingerKernel solved the radio issues (which I believe it does) so that tdm and others can come up with a fixed kernel for ZV9.

The fact that it happens to be a good alternative kernel already as it is, is just a temporary bonus for those of us who flashed ZV9.

Thanks again, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.