[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

I've been running TDM's gingerkernel for about 48hrs with no reboots. The screen wake bug is very irritating though, I have to tap the screen once after pressing the power button to turn it on.

Reactions: tdm

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I've been running TDM's gingerkernel for about 48hrs with no reboots. The screen wake bug is very irritating though, I have to tap the screen once after pressing the power button to turn it on.

i've got mine waking up pretty easily by changing some settings.
1. Cyanogenmod Settings - Display: uncheck screen on, off and rotation animations.
2. Cyanogenmod Settings - Performance: check lock home in memory
3. Cyanogenmod Settings - Performance - Cpu Settings - Set Your max to as high as your able to stable and keep your min a little higher then you normally would. i use interactiveX governer and 600\806 cpu

4. Application - Development: Check Stay awake. not nessasary most of the time but if your phone gets stubborn its waked my phone before.

this is how i set mine up and there are many times it wakes up on its own for me without needing to tap or anything. everyones results may very.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Tried those settings... made no difference. Thnx tho. Still have to tap the screen once after power button to turn screen on.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

anyone whos haveing the reboot issues if your up to it try out thekravens IHO rom for the OS its almost backside but compiled for the s with ZVD baseband. i've run it with no issues but i never had a huge issue to begin with so it'd be interesting to see someone with the problem try it out and report findings. everything should work but it'll say its sprint and your home and menu keys will be swapped (fixable).

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

anyone whos haveing the reboot issues if your up to it try out thekravens IHO rom for the OS its almost backside but compiled for the s with ZVD baseband. i've run it with no issues but i never had a huge issue to begin with so it'd be interesting to see someone with the problem try it out and report findings. everything should work but it'll say its sprint and your home and menu keys will be swapped (fixable).

What is the kernel version?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

What is the kernel version?

its still bobzhome 3.7 so in theory it should do the same as backside or any of the ov iho roms. just thought it couldnt hurt to try. i've had reboots but they are not often and i cannot replicate. i wanted to hear from someone who is able to replicate it running this OS rom. i'm running it currently and can say it wont hurt to try. i did nothing special just flashed it the same as any ov rom. buttons were swapped but everything worked right off.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

its still bobzhome 3.7 so in theory it should do the same as backside or any of the ov iho roms. just thought it couldnt hurt to try. i've had reboots but they are not often and i cannot replicate. i wanted to hear from someone who is able to replicate it running this OS rom. i'm running it currently and can say it wont hurt to try. i did nothing special just flashed it the same as any ov rom. buttons were swapped but everything worked right off.

IMO, it's safe to say that if you've had one reboot, it isn't a good idea to recommend it to others, as it's such an intermittent problem on all ROMs, you could have a couple of good days and then one really bad, or none at all. Especially if it has the same kernel.

Mirage 4/03 and TDM's Gingerkernel is the answer until something else pops up, and I can attest to changing those settings, along with disabling the Trackball Wake (not sure why it would help but whatever) and being able to just push a button and tap the screen to wake it up. Actually, I don't really tap the screen, I just start drawing my unlock pattern so it's basically the same as if the screen did wake up right away.

Not running that set-up anymore though, running Cold As Ice CM9 again and things are good....for the moment, lol. :D

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

IMO, it's safe to say that if you've had one reboot, it isn't a good idea to recommend it to others, as it's such an intermittent problem on all ROMs, you could have a couple of good days and then one really bad, or none at all. Especially if it has the same kernel.

Mirage 4/03 and TDM's Gingerkernel is the answer until something else pops up, and I can attest to changing those settings, along with disabling the Trackball Wake (not sure why it would help but whatever) and being able to just push a button and tap the screen to wake it up. Actually, I don't really tap the screen, I just start drawing my unlock pattern so it's basically the same as if the screen did wake up right away.

Not running that set-up anymore though, running Cold As Ice CM9 again and things are good....for the moment, lol. :D

sorry that was poorly written. i ment i'v only had a few reboots useing backside rom. not kravens.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I found something of a temporary fix for the screen wake issue, use a screen lock pin, and in cyanogenmod settings>lockscreen settings>unlock options>skip on security. Also enable quick unlock

Screen lock patterns seem to need screen taps to wake still, but the pin screen seems to come on every time, maybe with a slight delay.

Or under the unlock options, you can use the menu key to unlock device. This wakes the screen straight to your home screen.

Also, I experienced reboots using bumblebee. I didnt realize IHO roms were built off the 2.2.1 kernel source

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I found something of a temporary fix for the screen wake issue, use a screen lock pin, and in cyanogenmod settings>lockscreen settings>unlock options>skip on security. Also enable quick unlock

Screen lock patterns seem to need screen taps to wake still, but the pin screen seems to come on every time, maybe with a slight delay.

Or under the unlock options, you can use the menu key to unlock device. This wakes the screen straight to your home screen.

Also, I experienced reboots using bumblebee. I didnt realize IHO roms were built off the 2.2.1 kernel source

Maybe we're saying the same thing, lol, I'm tired...but it seemed to me like even though the screen wouldn't "wake up" right away, it would always get a touch brighter but not show anything, and the buttons would light up, nothing would appear on the screen though. I could go ahead and start drawing my unlock pattern though and it would unlock fine. So, it's already accepting input during that time, just not showing anything.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Maybe we're saying the same thing, lol, I'm tired...but it seemed to me like even though the screen wouldn't "wake up" right away, it would always get a touch brighter but not show anything, and the buttons would light up, nothing would appear on the screen though. I could go ahead and start drawing my unlock pattern though and it would unlock fine. So, it's already accepting input during that time, just not showing anything.

You're right, you can start tracing the unlock movement and it accepts the input. I just find this frustrating because I like to look at my phone to check the time or see if I have messages. Tapping the screen once just irritates me.

I also installed QQlauncher, and turned on it's lock screen. It wakes most of the time without having to touch the screen.

megnchris10

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

a couple of months ago i rooted and flashed iho backside 7.1 and everything was going ok then all of a sudden i started have random reboots and fc's, i got to looking around and noticed my phone was not rooted anymore so night b4 last i FINALLY got super user to install in the system/xbin file...took forever but was instantly rooted again ever since i did that my wifi will not connect at all.... not sure if i should flash a new radio or what...im on a optimus v any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks u guys rock!!!!!

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The radio shouldn't effect WiFi at all, sounds like you have a different issue that needs to be sorted out before you start playing with the radio. I think you ought to head over to the BACKside thread and explain your symptoms, you're much more likely to get help there.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi LeslieAnn, question on the radio update...(now that my most beloved Gen1 OV is dead cause by an electric short in our truck. it toasted the charging port!!)..do I flash the radio update to my new Gen2 OV BEFORE the rooting fun begins? I just picked it up from Best buys and I'm still grieving over my old OV. (THANG was my best friend and I'm still emotional!). Or should I leave it alone? The good news= I have all my stuff backed up in four different places so I'm ok on data.What to do first?? :'(

Last edited:

demonknightdk

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Hey all I figured I would simply ask this, because there are 32 pages to this thread now. I havent done much to m OV in over a year and I'm wondering if RA-thunderc-1.1.0-GNM will work to flash this? or should I just flash to a new flasher? I'm running an older IHO-Backside ROM. Thanks for the info and the hard work.

Never mind just read the thunderc info post and it says to NOT FLASH A RADIO IMG

Guesse that means I have to upgrade to a new recovery

Last edited:

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Hey all I figured I would simply ask this, because there are 32 pages to this thread now. I havent done much to m OV in over a year and I'm wondering if RA-thunderc-1.1.0-GNM will work to flash this? or should I just flash to a new flasher? I'm running an older IHO-Backside ROM. Thanks for the info and the hard work.

Never mind just read the thunderc info post and it says to NOT FLASH A RADIO IMG

Guesse that means I have to upgrade to a new recovery

You have to flash the whole security update, return to stock recovery, and flash it again from the stock recovery to get the radio to update. This is the ONLY way. But DONT DO IT!
You will experience reboots unless you run the stock rom, or mirage 4/03 with TDM's gingerkernel and patched boot image.

Also, I've been running kraven's CM7 rom for the OS for 24 hrs now and have experienced 1 reboot when placing a call. I also cant retrieve MMS, so that's out as an option. Back to mirage 4/03 with gingerkernel

Last edited:

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

I've decided to flash this update. since this phone is brand new, (running stock, un-rooted 2.2.2 VM rom) I might as well to that first.
I think I'll use Bobzhome as a recovery as I never had a problem with it. I'm so glad I kept all this phone stuff on an external HDD. I had to downgrade my PC from Win 8 CP back to Win 7 32 bit. (printer drivers WILL NOT WORK GUYS) and lost some stuff on the PC. Let the hacking begin. And my thanks to everyone who gave all the great info to this post! :cool:

Last edited:

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I think it's been determined the radio update itself doesn't take. If you want the new radio you need to install the entire update from virgin mobile's site.

If you haven't rooted yet you can just download and copy the update.zip to root of sdcard and choose s/w update from settings.

If you have rooted and put on a custom recovery you will need to flash the update via recovery to return you to stock and then flash it again like above.

Custom rom's don't flash the radio, only stock will. That is why if you have anything other than stock recovery you have to flash it twice. Once to return to stock recovery and again to flash radio with stock recovery

I do advice against it until the bug is worked out between radio and custom roms. I did the radio update and get irritating little reboots every now and again

Status
Not open for further replies.