[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

@mrg: thanks a lot. I'll test this later today. Do you have an MD5 for it? Small risk, I know. Just don't want to think I'm testing a new kernel when I'm actually testing a bad download ;)

Question: did you build it for a specific MiRaGe version?

It can be used with any IHO build. Also I have added the MD5sum and updated the binary. So you need to download again.

Reactions: Dannemand

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! There is more difference than just one file as I see. I will start adding the differences one file at a time and testing at each step.

Looks like the differences are:

* New screen support.
* Camera changes.
* Diagnostics/testmode changes.
* AMI304 driver update.
* RTC alarm changes.

If I had to guess, I'd say the RTC alarm changes are the most likely to affect stability. These would be:

drivers/rtc/alarm.c
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c
(note drivers/rtc/rtc-lib.c is just whitespace)

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

* New screen support.
* Camera changes.
* AMI304 driver update.
* RTC alarm changes.

If I had to guess, I'd say the RTC alarm changes are the most likely to affect stability. These would be:

drivers/rtc/alarm.c
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c

We already have the updated AMI304 in IHO kernel. I have checked in the repo and it is the same with ZV9 source; Blarf updated it.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
So, wait, you're saying nothing has changed?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

No, I'm saying everything that changed patched in without issue except the ami304 files (because they were already updated). Tdm has a nice list of changes, and everything in that list has been patched into the kernel I built.

shouldn't have slept till one, I wanted to be part of that conversation... that's what I get for staying up till 1 examining this
edit: wait... i got like 11 or 12 hours of sleep... why am I so sleepy?

Last edited:
Reactions: cole2kb

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

* New screen support.
* Camera changes.
* AMI304 driver update.
* RTC alarm changes.

drivers/rtc/alarm.c
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c

The 3.7 kernel with only rtc and diagnostic changes from ZV9 source added is below.
Mirage_BobZ37_kernel_rtc_diag.zip
MD5sum: 2063A60A037D850D04416BF655B60DD3
It would be great if you can test and post your feedback. I have flashed to my phone and it still seems to be working. I can't make it reboot yet.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

In case there is a problem with the v3.7 kernel binary, I am testing the kernel binary which is built on my machine using the source from Bob's repo. I would appreciate if anybody can test and give feedback. I think I will use these binaries in the next MiRaGe build.

Mirage-BobZ37-gcc47_kernel.zip
MD5sum: E69FAF8FA222D06ACB4116C64DDCB893

PS: kernel binary updated with v3.7 source to be consistent and used gcc 4.7 instead of gcc 4.5

I flashed this one onto my MiRaGe 04/27 (which I updated to yesterday). Boots fine, everything runs fine. No OC yet, wanted to test first.

Running my repro test (15 sec airplane mode, SMS to my OV number, SMS to my GV number which forwards to my OV), it got a bit lagging after 2-3 cycles, but not so much that I would conclude anything.

Then, lo and behold, it rebooted when I switched to airplane mode starting the 5th test cycle!

As much as I wish it hadn't rebooted, I have to appreciate when it reproduces promptly instead of playing nice for 20-30 cycles, then rebooting on me after I've concluded that it's stable ;)

Reactions: kwknott and mrg666

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

The 3.7 kernel with only rtc and diagnostic changes from ZV9 source added is below.
Mirage_BobZ37_kernel_rtc_diag.zip
MD5sum: 2063A60A037D850D04416BF655B60DD3
It would be great if you can test and post your feedback. I have flashed to my phone and it still seems to be working. I can't make it reboot yet.

Wow, you're cranking these out faster than I can test them! I'm on it...

And thanks! :)

Reactions: mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I flashed this one onto my MiRaGe 04/27 (which I updated to yesterday). Boots fine, everything runs fine. No OC yet, wanted to test first.

Running my repro test (15 sec airplane mode, SMS to my OV number, SMS to my GV number which forwards to my OV), it got a bit lagging after 2-3 cycles, but not so much that I would conclude anything.

Then, lo and behold, it rebooted when I switched to airplane mode starting the 5th test cycle!

As much as I wish it hadn't rebooted, I have to appreciate when it reproduces promptly instead of playing nice for 20-30 cycles, then rebooting on me after I've concluded that it's stable ;)

Thanks, this eliminates the possibility of a problem with the binary itself. The next kernel you are now testing is with actual code change in RTC and Diagnostic parts from LG's ZV9 kernel source. Fingers crossed ...

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Big props to you guys for doing this. I'm at work or I'd be happy to flash temporarily to test as well. Thanks again.

Reactions: Dannemand

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, this eliminates the possibility of a problem with the binary itself. The next kernel you are now testing is with actual code change in RTC and Diagnostic parts from LG's ZV9 kernel source. Fingers crossed ...

So far this one looks quite promising, my friend! Of course nothing conclusive until after a few days, but here's what I tried so far:

Flashed over the last one (same MiRaGe 04/27 install that rebooted before). Triple-wiped cache & dalvik first (always do). Boots fine, runs fine, shows as 2.6.32.9-v3.7 mirage@aurora.

After 12 test cycles (ie 12 airplane modes and 24 roundtrip SMSs) it is still going strong, no reboots. That in itself is not conclusive. But a good sign is that I didn't see any of the SMS sending lags -- those are normally indicative that something is not right.

I DID get quite a bit of delivery backups (multiple messages arriving ketchup-style after a few mins) but that could easily be just VMU network.

I ALSO had one message that failed to send -- another frequent problem on the old Bobz kernel that wasn't there on GingerKernel or ZV9 stock. But it was a message trying to send just as a whole slew of messages were coming in. And it send fine on first retry attempt. So it could be complete coincidence.

Significantly, ALL test messages arrived, and none were massively delayed. And I just now exchanged SMSs with my wife -- the importance of that function not to be underestimated ;)

Although it's very subjective, I must say this has more of that snappier feeling on radio tasks that characterized GingerKernel and ZV9 stock. So I think you may be onto it.

I'll keep you posted over the next couple days, of course.

Regardless of the outcome of this particular kernel, thanks a lot to you, tdm, cole2kb, tvall and others who've remained focused on this issue!

Reactions: kwknott and mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

So far this one looks quite promising, my friend! Of course nothing conclusive until after a few days, but here's what I tried so far:

Flashed over the last one (same MiRaGe 04/27 install that rebooted before). Triple-wiped cache & dalvik first (always do). Boots fine, runs fine, shows as 2.6.32.9-v3.7 mirage@aurora.

After 12 test cycles (ie 12 airplane modes and 24 roundtrip SMSs) it is still going strong, no reboots. That in itself is not conclusive. But a good sign is that I didn't see any of the SMS sending lags -- those are normally indicative that something is not right.

I DID get quite a bit of delivery backups (multiple messages arriving ketchup-style after a few mins) but that could easily be just VMU network.

I ALSO had one message that failed to send -- another frequent problem on the old Bobz kernel that wasn't there on GingerKernel or ZV9 stock. But it was a message trying to send just as a whole slew of messages were coming in. And it send fine on first retry attempt. So it could be complete coincidence.

Significantly, ALL test messages arrived, and none were massively delayed. And I just now exchanged SMSs with my wife -- the importance of that function not to be underestimated ;)

Although it's very subjective, I must say this has more of that snappier feeling on radio tasks that characterized GingerKernel and ZV9 stock. So I think you may be onto it.

I'll keep you posted over the next couple days, of course.

Regardless of the outcome of this particular kernel, thanks a lot to you, tdm, cole2kb, tvall and others who've remained focused on this issue!

This is good news so far. At least, it is not causing additional problems. I will update MiRaGe tomorrow with this kernel to make it available for wider testing.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question, could the new kernel updates cause issues for those that haven't updated to zv9?

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Does seem like new kernel has helped, mrg. Been texting back and forth with my wife for about 40 min and no reboots and messages are sending right away unlike before they took 10 to 20 seconds or more. Will keep testing and see what happens. Thanks everyone for jumping on this so fast!!

Last edited:

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I was referring to the recent ZV9 kernel source from LG. The different kernels that you have seen improvement with are 2.6.35 Gingerbread kernel. This LG source is still the same 2.6.32.9 Froyo source we have been using with IHO.

In case there is a problem with the v3.7 kernel binary, I am testing the kernel binary which is built on my machine using the source from Bob's repo. I would appreciate if anybody can test and give feedback. I think I will use these binaries in the next MiRaGe build.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ogmh5j5hqswxa6
MD5sum: E69FAF8FA222D06ACB4116C64DDCB893

PS: kernel binary updated with v3.7 source to be consistent and used gcc 4.7 instead of gcc 4.5

so basically virgin mobile pushed an update that really does nothing..well other than making things difficult for development.....that's their m.o.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

so basically virgin mobile pushed an update that really does nothing..well other than making things difficult for development.....that's their m.o.

No it was not correct, you need to read the rest of the thread. :)

Reactions: Eollie

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Mrg666, just installed your latest kernel (rtc_diag build). Couple of things I've noticed, it seems to be running smoother but that could just be a placebo effect from knowing I just flashed the new kernel. I have, however, gotten much better performance on my overclock. On your 4-27 build, and the last few before that, I was only stable to 787. I've been running the new kernel at 825 and have tested as high as 864, with only one reboot while recording video. Texting seems to be working fine, haven't had any reboots yet. Keep up the great work, looking forward to your next update with the kernel built in.

Reactions: mrg666
Status
Not open for further replies.