I just bought an OV this afternoon, and found the signal is really bad - I see 0 or 1 bar in my office, but meanwhile, my PPC (Page Plus Cellular) phone (Palm Pixi plus) has full bars.

I wonder if I can use this OV phone on PPC? What necessary work I need to do? I read one thread mentioned change PRL of it, will it work? And I do not have MSL since it is not activated, any work around for this, say using SPC?

Thanks in advance.

Spencer
    03-19-2012 09:36 PM
    This might help, since PPC runs on the Verizon network. Obviously I can't say for sure, but it SHOULD work.

[Mod] Using the Optimus V on Verizon - xda-developers
    spencerli likes this.
    03-19-2012 09:44 PM
    MSL and SPC are the same code.

Sell your OV and buy a new phone for Page Plus.
    Virgin and LG locks these phones down really good and you need a very specific program to get access the 3g settings. If you get that far, there is still the fact that VM's MMS system will kill any MMS coming in on Page Plus. This is all theoretical since I'm not even sure they support the proper frequencies to begin with. It will probably work as a basic phone and 2g, but 3g is questionable.

Basically, IF the frequencies are right, you will need LGNPST Lab with matching LS760 dll file (Windows only), plus, I would recommend DFS to actually make the changes needed. Then after all that, you still need a custom built rom using the Optimus S MMS system. And of course you will need the proper build.prop and APNS values.

Can it be done? Yes.
    You can expect at least a dozen hours and that is if you are good at scrounging programs on the internet and provided you have all of the information required. More likely though, you can expect 2 dozen hours start to finish. Bottom line, just sell the OV and get a different phone.
    spencerli likes this.
    03-19-2012 09:51 PM
    LeslieAnn could you fix the mms issues on the Lewa rom,? Sorry I know off topic? But seems like the right place to ask, maybe you could team up with noob(curiousnoob) or pm me !!!
    03-19-2012 10:16 PM
    Kinda odd. I never had a problem with MMS, except for when IHO was beta.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Badboytoast likes this.
    03-19-2012 10:25 PM
    LeslieAnn could you fix the mms issues on the Lewa rom,? Sorry I know off topic? But seems like the right place to ask, maybe you could team up with noob(curiousnoob) or pm me !!!
    Gannon has all the info I do (and more) at this point.
    Badboytoast likes this.
    03-19-2012 10:30 PM
    MSL and SPC are the same code.

Sell your OV and buy a new phone for Page Plus.
    Virgin and LG locks these phones down really good and you need a very specific program to get access the 3g settings. If you get that far, there is still the fact that VM's MMS system will kill any MMS coming in on Page Plus. This is all theoretical since I'm not even sure they support the proper frequencies to begin with. It will probably work as a basic phone and 2g, but 3g is questionable.

Basically, IF the frequencies are right, you will need LGNPST Lab with matching LS760 dll file (Windows only), plus, I would recommend DFS to actually make the changes needed. Then after all that, you still need a custom built rom using the Optimus S MMS system. And of course you will need the proper build.prop and APNS values.

Can it be done? Yes.
    You can expect at least a dozen hours and that is if you are good at scrounging programs on the internet and provided you have all of the information required. More likely though, you can expect 2 dozen hours start to finish. Bottom line, just sell the OV and get a different phone.
    I don't think it will be near as complicated as all that, especially because Page Plus is popular for being able to (basically) use any Verizon phone, since it is on Verizon's network. I see no reason why following the steps to get an OV running on Verizon wouldn't work for Page Plus as well.
    03-19-2012 10:33 PM
    I don't think it will be near as complicated as all that, especially because Page Plus is popular for being able to (basically) use any Verizon phone, since it is on Verizon's network. I see no reason why following the steps to get an OV running on Verizon wouldn't work for Page Plus as well.
    You're right, I could be wrong, but considering I recently converted a Sprint Evo 4g to Virgin, I would say I have a pretty good idea what is involved.

It's not about how easy Page Plus is.
    You aren't just swapping a Verizon phone to Verizon's network, you are converting a Sprint phone to run on Verizon's network. You MUST change the data settings, of which there is a lot. Included in that is the 2g and 3g password. Those passwords are where Virgin and LG locked the Optimus V down the most, you might get away with just over-writing them without ever seeing them, but that is where things are the most locked down and where it requires the LGNPST Lab.

Virgin's MMS is a disaster, why do you think the new roms have issues with it.
    Granted going to a non-Virgin MMS is much easier than from something else TO Virgin, but you still have to change out the CDMAsmsdispatcher file, APNS and Build prop. Odds are you could just grab a Sprint rom and change the APNS and build.prop, but if not, you will be stuck modding the CDMAsmsdispatcher file and that means pulling apart frameworks.jar.
    03-19-2012 10:58 PM
    I forgot, you also will have to change the PRL file.
    03-19-2012 11:00 PM
    Do those steps listed in the thread I linked not cover all of those bases? From reading it, it sounds like that would be all you would have to do, along with other posters giving thanks and saying that it works.
    03-20-2012 09:53 AM
    Thanks all for the helps, I really appreciate it.

I think it is a good phone, with very good price. I tired GrooveIP on it and it is very clear compared to my iPod Touch using google voice.

I noticed in the thread cole2kb linked, mrg666 mentioned he could activate NOT activated OV on PPC. This gives me a hope.

And as for SPC and MSL, I did not know them before yesterday. After googling a while, I believe they are different. For a phone not activated, SPC is there and SPC is used in activation process. Once the phone is activated, a MSL code corresponding to the carrier is generated, SPC is of no use after that, and the phone is Locked to that carrier by MSL code.

This is only my understanding after a day's reading, I am very likely be wrong. But this does give me a hope I can use my VM OV on PPC.

I do like the phone and PPC's coverage, and hope they can work together.

Br,
    03-20-2012 12:19 PM
    Leslie, do you have an easy to follow guide to getting the HTC evo on VM? I have a clean ESN to use from my samsung intercept.
    03-20-2012 01:20 PM
    Do those steps listed in the thread I linked not cover all of those bases? From reading it, it sounds like that would be all you would have to do, along with other posters giving thanks and saying that it works.
    The files linked in that thread are gone.

That guide only really helps get mms working on Reborn AFTER you are on Verizonm so no, it doesn't cover everything. You still need all the network configs and such.

And as for SPC and MSL, I did not know them before yesterday. After googling a while, I believe they are different.
    They may serve a different function, but on every Optimus V I have read about, the number was the same for both MSL and SPC.

Leslie, do you have an easy to follow guide to getting the HTC evo on VM? I have a clean ESN to use from my samsung intercept.
    There is no easy to follow guide and you don't need a clean ESN.

Your intercept may or may not work, no one has managed it with a newer Intercept (I don't know what defines newer or older). The OV isn't exactly cake either, though much easier now that we know how.

These three threads cover it, I recomend reading all 3 start to finish by which time you should have a basic idea of the process and pitfalls.
    Would EVO 4G work on the Boost Mobile Network - xda-developers - yes it's about Boost, but it has useful info.
    Epic 4G to Virgin Mobile(SMS/MMS/VOICE/3G)*WORKING!* UPDATED:3-03-2012 - xda-developers - yes It's about the Epic, but it has good info as well.
    Evo 4g on virgin mobile - xda-developers

Expect 25+ hours of work to get it working if you are good at scrounging programs, less if you can find the app pack, more if you are bad at finding stuff, and that is provided you don't brick anything. One person spent 6 months on it. After that, you still have to mod every rom you use in order to get working MMS, that can take anywhere from 5 minutes if you are setup for it, to an hour. Even then, you are limited to CM7 and CM9 if you want mms, Sense, MIUI, and others will not work.

Considering the OneV may be coming, I would consider holding off, it's a lot of work and risk. While not breaking any federal laws you are breaking Virgins terms of service and possibly breaking state laws depending on where you live.
    03-20-2012 07:45 PM
    I'm editing a video right now on erasing the evo meid to repair it that should help you quite a bit and very soon one on how to get the ha and aaa passwords off the optimus v. by the time your done reading the first thirty or so pages in the evo to virgin mobile thread I should be done with the first video

P.S you don't have to activate a phone to get the msl
    03-20-2012 08:50 PM
    a link to the evo video I made
    03-20-2012 10:26 PM
    Damn. I guess I thought the OP could activate it (at least on Page Plus' end), flash the files and fix it for Verizon, then just dial *228 to activate like any other phone you'd put on PPC / VZW.
    03-20-2012 10:30 PM
    From the answers from that thread, it seems it works and proved by other 2 folks there. I am not sure they are exactly same situation though. If follow those link, the worst case will be a $50 wifi media player?
    03-20-2012 10:34 PM
    then just dial *228 to activate like any other phone you'd put on PPC / VZW.
    All dialing codes do is activate a built in menu/script/progam, and they are device and vendor specific, grabbing some random Verizon code and typing it into your Optimus will do nothing. This is also why Virgin codes (and the activate app) doesn't work on CyanogenMod.
    03-20-2012 11:51 PM
    I think the key is to flash RPL. I am late in this game (from yesterday) so I just guess.
    03-20-2012 11:54 PM
    Finally made it work. See comments on thread mentioned by cole2kb.

Thanks all.

BTW, it is a prepaid phone, so VM will not subside me any cost. Why it is illegal to switch carrier? I bought the phone, it is mine now, I should be able to use it anyway I want I think.
    03-22-2012 02:27 AM
    Why it is illegal to switch carrier? I bought the phone, it is mine now, I should be able to use it anyway I want I think.
    It's not illegal to switch carriers or phones.
    What is required to put a non-VM phone onto VM however can run you afoul of the law and VM.

To switch a Sprint or Verizon phone to VM, you have to copy the ESN (similar to the VIN number on your car) from a legitimate VM phone, to the second phone. This is sort of a grey area in terms of federal law, and is flat out illegal in some states. It is also a terms of service violation on VM, and against the rules to discuss the methods to do it on almost every forum.

Back in the early 90's copying ESN numbers or "cloning" was a big thing, and carriers lost tons of money because of it, lots of laws were passed to stop it. The federal law regarding it was later amended to make it only illegal to do if you are doing it to defraud the carrier.

The laws that many states put in place however were never changed or never took this into account. Missouri is one of those states, it's flat out illegal to clone a cell phone for any reason there. However, there are lots of laws that are outdated and no longer enforced. So long as you aren't causing trouble the carriers and states tend to ignore it.

Many people are unaware this law was changed and scream it's illegal any time anyone mentions it. Forums don't like trouble, and some have had the feds and others come down on them for spreading the information, so most have a rule that you can't discuss the methods involved.

Here is what changed for those curious...
    Back in the 90's you could get a phone at a swap meet (for around $150 and usually stolen) then pay the same guy around $300 and you would get unlimited service for 3 months or more. You couldn't receive calls, but you could make them. I knew people using 5k minutes or more a month on cloned phones. Cell service was EXPENSIVE back then, so this was a crazy deal. You found lots of people with a pager or a cheap cell phone to receive calls, then they would call back on the clone phone.

Today,
    Would you pay someone $100 for a phone, and $500 to set it up so you could only make outgoing calls for 3 months? No. You can get an Iphone with unlimited minutes incoming and outgoing minutes for that. The economics changed on cell phones to the point that cloning no longer makes economic sense. Most people doing it today are only doing it so they can use a phone on a different carrier, such as using an Evo 4g, 3d, Epic, or Optimus Black on Virgin or Boost.
    03-22-2012 03:15 AM
    All dialing codes do is activate a built in menu/script/progam, and they are device and vendor specific, grabbing some random Verizon code and typing it into your Optimus will do nothing. This is also why Virgin codes (and the activate app) doesn't work on CyanogenMod.
    Yeah, I get that. I've been trying not to flat out say "Do this and it will work" because I obviously don't know for sure, but I would think that all the files that are being flashed to make the V Verizon-ready would give the capability for the Verizon shortcodes (like *228).
    03-22-2012 11:16 AM
    Yeah, I get that. I've been trying not to flat out say "Do this and it will work" because I obviously don't know for sure, but I would think that all the files that are being flashed to make the V Verizon-ready would give the capability for the Verizon shortcodes (like *228).
    it doesn't work like that. But if you want easy access to to the data profile or whatever use anycut from the market or if you really need some dialer codes flash the sprint rom (not the kdz or updater just the rom) it's not that cut and dry but it will help you out.

Also I noticed that some people awhile back had some issues with getting rid of the yourphonenumber@mdata.vmobl.com there was also a solution of erasing a file but an easier route which also works on the lg marquee (couldn't get rid of @hcm.sprintpcs.com) use anycut make a shortcut to CDG2 open it and go to data setting select PPP carrier and change it from sprint to Undetermined it will reboot your phone but from then on you can just use dfs or whatever it is your using to fix the nai and uid.

EDIT: I realize that I said an easier method but what I should of said was an easier method for me since some might find the other method easier
    03-22-2012 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD