System/App Question

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I really hope this isnt a thread already, I couldnt find anything. Anyways I pulled the launcher .apk from one ROM and I have a different ROM installed that I want this launcher to run on. I can install it fine and everything, my question is, how do I make the new .apk a system app? I've tried googling an answer as well as searching the forums and I cant find anything let alone anything that is in advanced-noob english :p Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me on the fastest/easiest way to accomplish this paltry dilemma ;)

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You can do this with Root Explorer (or something like it) if you don't have adb capability for some reason.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Push it to /system/app

What he said:

Two ways -

1. Use root explorer or something like that to place the app in the /system/app folder

2. Terminal emulator, type this:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
cp /sdcard/name_of_app.apk /system/app
mount -o remount,ro /system /system

Obviously, #1 is easier, but if you feel really geeky go for the terminal emulator. It makes you feel like a real hacker typing on a blue screen:p

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
What he said:

Two ways -

1. Use root explorer or something like that to place the app in the /system/app folder

2. Terminal emulator, type this:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
cp /sdcard/name_of_app.apk /system/app
mount -o remount,ro /system /system

Obviously, #1 is easier, but if you feel really geeky go for the terminal emulator. It makes you feel like a real hacker typing on a blue screen:p

Awesome, thanks! I think i'll have to try to feel like the real hacker this time on account of I've used terminal emulator once before :)

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
So I am using File Manager app and under settings I checked the box that says 'root explorer' and it gave me a warning. I am searching every folder and just cannot seem to find any of the apps I have installed anywhere! Any suggestions? :(

Never mind, figured out how to find the folder!

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So I am using File Manager app and under settings I checked the box that says 'root explorer' and it gave me a warning. I am searching every folder and just cannot seem to find any of the apps I have installed anywhere! Any suggestions? :(

Never mind, figured out how to find the folder!

Seems you've figured it our but just in case... downloaded apps are located in /data/app while system apps are located in /system/app.

The directions for emulator were for if the apk is placed directly in the sdcard folder.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.

Install as normal, take root app, navigate to data/app (DO NOT OPEN LAUNCHER YET) and move to system/app, reboot.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tejer

srich_1982

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Can you do this is the zip of a rom so I don't lose the launcher I just replaced ADW with when there's an update and have to do this over again??

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
e
Can you do this is the zip of a rom so I don't lose the launcher I just replaced ADW with when there's an update and have to do this over again??

Yeah after you download the zip file for the Rom you want to flash take out the launcher you want to get rod of using 7zip and put the launcher you want in its place. It save the time of replacing it after flashing. I do this with the backside Rom because I hate adw so I replace it with a modified stock before flashing. As expected, the launcher to replace will be found in name_of_Rom.zip/system/app/

Reactions: srich_1982