03-30-2012 07:25 AM
91 1234
tools
    On the update...
    To change the recovery in it, rename your recovery to match, then copy it into the zip. Simple as that.

To remove the recovery entirely (this needs to be done in both flash scripts),
    Remove the recovery.img file itself, then in Meta-inf\com\google\android\updater script, remove these lines:
    set_perm(0, 0, 0544, "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh");
    ui_print("Writing recovery img ...");
    package_extract_file("recovery.img", "/tmp/recovery.img");
    write_raw_image("/tmp/recovery.img", "recovery");
    delete("/tmp/recovery.img");
    grnsnake likes this.
    03-21-2012 09:56 PM
    Further more talking about defrauding VM by sending them a phone you willingly broke is frowned against here. You know there is a chance to brick the phone when you modify it and accept those risks.
    You might wanna look again and notice I haven't advocated any type of fraud. Fraud is a function of deceptive intent. If there's been no deception (as the hypothetical scenario in my post stated), and VM chooses to initiate an exchange within the circumstances of said scenario, there's been no fraud. So, please refrain from putting words in my mouth and save the half-hearted righteous indignation for someone else.
    03-21-2012 10:12 PM
    Actually it's still fraud if one knowingly incurs a loss (or even just a risk of loss) on the other party. If you know you voided the warranty, it doesn't matter whether the VM rep asked you or just assumed you were honest. Your intent is what counts. Getting away with something doesn't make it legal.

But legality aside, sticking bricked phones to VMU hurts all of us because it makes VMU raise their prices and be more restrictive.

Now be offended if you want. I'm merely describing facts.
    Eollie likes this.
    03-21-2012 10:33 PM
    On the update...
    To change the recovery in it, rename your recovery to match, then copy it into the zip. Simple as that.

To remove the recovery entirely (this needs to be done in both flash scripts),
    Remove the recovery.img file itself, then in Meta-inf\com\google\android\updater script, remove these lines:
    set_perm(0, 0, 0544, "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh");
    ui_print("Writing recovery img ...");
    package_extract_file("recovery.img", "/tmp/recovery.img");
    write_raw_image("/tmp/recovery.img", "recovery");
    delete("/tmp/recovery.img");
    When you say both flash scripts, which scripts are you refering to?
    03-21-2012 11:03 PM
    When you say both flash scripts, which scripts are you refering to?
    Meta-inf\com\google\android\updater-script
    and
    Meta-inf\com\google\android\update-script

Note the lack of an R
    No reason why Virgin made the updater like this, you really only need one of them, but the update contains both.
    grnsnake likes this.
    03-21-2012 11:12 PM
    So those scripts are located inside of the VM update?

Just to double check I need to unzip the update, remove the original recovery, install Bob's recovery named the same as the VM recovery, remove the lines from the scripts, then rezip the update and install?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure that I don't screw up again. It was hard enough getting it back to working after bricking it the first time.

Thank you for your time and knowledge in this problem, and for all you do for the OV community.
    03-21-2012 11:32 PM
    Data didn't come back sucks the activate app won't work either.I had just told them that my data connection/3g stopped working doubt I would send in my phone was thinking of getting a new one anyways.
    03-21-2012 11:38 PM
    If you can all be just a little PATIENT....

I'm working on a rooted update package. But I will NOT release it till I have tested it on multiple phones to be certain it will not brick anyone. One forum member has already graciously donated a phone to the cause, and I should receive it in the mail within a couple of days. I also have a couple of other testers willing to take the risk once we are ready. If you have an extra OV and are willing to take the risk as well, PM me. I will PM you back with extreme warnings, and once I'm satisfied you understand and accept the risk/consequences, I'll include you in the testing circle.

Is it really too much to ask for a bit of patience instead of taking such risks with your phone?
    grnsnake, cmerlyn and Badboytoast like this.
    03-21-2012 11:45 PM
    I will be glad to wait. As I have stated I spent 12 hours yesterday just trying to get it back working, so a few more days will not hurt.
    03-22-2012 12:08 AM
    "All good things come to those who wait" Been hearing that all my life, never had a problem with it.
    Thanks Jerry, you are the best.
    03-22-2012 12:19 AM
    In salt water aquariums there is a saying, "only bad things happen fast".

If you want a hobby based on patience, that is certainly one of them.
    JerryScript and MasterTec like this.
    03-22-2012 12:29 AM
    I'm currently getting my daily dose of "The world doesn't exists outside my vision" by staring at my beautiful 75 gallon salt water reef. The black ribbon eel is currently being a d*** to the miniature rainbow lobster, but so long as the eel doesn't get behind him all is well.

OT note- do not attempt to combine black ribbon eels and mini lobsters. These mini lobsters costs $45. The first one I brought home was a lesson in fine dinning. I put it in the tank, and it immediately went down to a spot in the reef rocks that looked safe. The d***head black ribbon eel immediately followed it. The eel kept the lobster's attention in the front, while wrapping it's tail around the reef (4.5 feet long) and flicking the lobster from under the rocks. In about 15 seconds my beautiful rainbow lobster was gone. I don't even buy myself lobster dinners, so you can imagine how upset this made me. Lesson learned, and next time, I quarantined the eel till the lobster was comfortable, and I also made sure the reef was more secure in the sand.
    03-22-2012 12:35 AM
    OT note- do not attempt to combine black ribbon eels and mini lobsters. These mini lobsters costs $45. The first one I brought home was a lesson in fine dinning.
    Ahhh yes, reef tanks (a.k.a. money pits) are often a lesson in fine dining.
    You have to plan everything carefully, and even then, the best laid plans can go south. Really, really far south and usually follows a brief moment of jubilation.
    03-22-2012 12:56 AM
    did you ever fix this issue?
    03-22-2012 04:01 PM
    Since we're so off topic right now anyway, I caught a friggin' baby today. Literally.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-22-2012 05:58 PM
    did you ever fix this issue?
    No, still don't have data. Waiting on Jerry's version of the VM update to see if it helps. If not I will either have to live without MMS or get a new phone.
    03-22-2012 07:06 PM
    "live without MMS"
    That is not even possible.
    03-22-2012 07:40 PM
    Since we're so off topic right now anyway, I caught a friggin' baby today. Literally.

Lolwhat!?

03-22-2012 09:13 PM
    So who's the mother?
    03-22-2012 11:43 PM
    My girlfriend. It's our fourth, we just waited too long to call the midwife. Everything is fine though, I've just never had that much blood on my hands, ever.

LeslieAnn likes this.
    03-23-2012 11:00 AM
    My girlfriend. It's our fourth, we just waited too long to call the midwife. Everything is fine though, I've just never had that much blood on my hands, ever.
    Haha, I meant it as a joke, I was thinking maybe you were a firefighter or something.

Congrats!

4th!?
    You mean you still haven't figured out what's causing that condition yet?
    03-23-2012 04:50 PM
    Since there is now root to the Virgin Moblie Update I decided to install it to see if I could regain my data. After installing it I still do not have data and my SW Version is LS670ZV8??? Does anyone have any other ideas, or should I just bite the bullet and by an new phone?
    03-25-2012 09:03 AM
    Haha, I meant it as a joke, I was thinking maybe you were a firefighter or something.

Congrats!

4th!?
    You mean you still haven't figured out what's causing that condition yet?
    Yes, you see LeslieAnn, when a man and a woman love each other very much... jk.

Since there is now root to the Virgin Moblie Update I decided to install it to see if I could regain my data. After installing it I still do not have data and my SW Version is LS670ZV8??? Does anyone have any other ideas, or should I just bite the bullet and by an new phone?
    Sounds like you have a Sprint radio.

LeslieAnn likes this.
    03-25-2012 11:41 AM

Oooh we're tied. All boys for us 6, 4, 2, and 6mo. The last was a hard one (breech) and I think we're done. Would have been nice to have a girl tho.
    03-25-2012 11:57 AM
    I agree, but I would have thought after installing the virgin update it would have fixed that
    03-25-2012 11:58 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD