Ok, so my mind has officially exploded. A while back, I rooted my optimus v and put a custom rom on it, no problem. It probably took 20 minutes. However, for the past few weeks, I have been trying to do the same to my dads phone, and it just won't do it. I believe his phone is one of the older screens; it has android 2.2.1 on it. I rooted it with gingerbreak easily. My problem comes with flashing a custom recovery. I tried doing it through a terminal emulator, but I got a weird error. I don't have the phone right now, but it was something like:

w: not found
    flash_image: 2: unexpected ")"

I think this is pretty close to what it said. I also tried using flash image gui, but when i reboot, it gives me a black screen after the lg screen. A while back, I used rom manager, and used clockwork mod recovery, but it wouldn't flash the roms. It gave a wierd error, but I can't remember what it is...
    I have been trying this for weeks, going through every tutorial on AC and other sites; I can't figure out what else I can do... Any advice?
    03-22-2012 11:44 PM
    use flashimagegui from the market to flash recovery... :-)
    03-23-2012 12:45 AM
    Is there a parenthesis in your filename? if so, surround the filename with double quotes.
    03-23-2012 12:49 AM
    @clodfelterac I already tried. I just got a black screen.

@tdm there isn't one.thats what I don't get... I named my recovery "a.img" like one of the guides on the forums said. Without the quotes obviously..
    03-23-2012 07:45 AM
    @clodfelterac I already tried. I just got a black screen.

@tdm there isn't one.thats what I don't get... I named my recovery "a.img" like one of the guides on the forums said. Without the quotes obviously..
    If you are using flash image GUI, you have to have the word recovery in the filename

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    clodfelterac likes this.
    03-23-2012 08:24 AM
    @pbailey212 when I used flashimagegui, I renamed it recovery.img
    03-23-2012 08:27 AM
    Did flash image GUI flash the recovery and you got a blackscreen when trying to get into recovery?

Or was the issue with flash image GUI itself?

If the first sounds like newer screen and older recovery. What recovery did you try to flash?
    03-23-2012 08:42 AM
    Did flash image GUI flash the recovery and you got a blackscreen when trying to get into recovery?

Or was the issue with flash image GUI itself?
    Yes, it said that it successfully flashed the recovery

If the first sounds like newer screen and older recovery. What recovery did you try to flash?
    I have tried to use many different recoveries. This one in particular was VM670NH_recovery.img. I have also tried one called IHOrecovery.img and Xioniarecovery.img, but they gave me a blue fastboot screen.
    03-23-2012 09:33 AM
    Well the VM670NH_recovery.img will defiantly work with old and new screens. I have used this recovery for the 3 OV's I keep up with and never had an issue with flashimageGUI or terminal methods. All I can think to try off top of my head would be remove, redownload and reinstall flashimagegui and maybe update the su binaries in superuser. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can shed a bit more light for you
    ultima1996 likes this.
    03-23-2012 11:18 AM
    have you read the "fix black screen thread above"?... it appears mabey you have the wrong kernal... and picastix could help... if your running harmonia, I would go to the harmonia thread and ask Leslie... :-)
    ultima1996 likes this.
    03-23-2012 03:36 PM
    Well, my dad just got home, so I will try again and see if it happens...
    03-23-2012 03:50 PM
    One quick noob question... how does one change kernels....
    03-23-2012 04:00 PM
    oh... wait I figured it out!!
    03-23-2012 04:09 PM
    Thank you!!!!! It worked! I simply put on a new kernel.....and Volia! now to put IHO-BACKside on it
    03-23-2012 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD