Way To Go OV Community!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have been a member of this forum for over a year now, and I just have to say

WAY TO GO OPTIMUS V COMMUNITY!!!

When I first bought my OV, this was one of the first places I came to learn more about it. At that time, there were a half dozen or so Froyo based ROMs. A few months later, most of the original devs left for one reason or another (I imagine many got different phones). By that time, CM7 had already been ported, and of the half dozen ROMs, two or three continued to receive some support from their original devs for a while.

Then came the slow period. For a while, it looked like the end of development on the OV. Out of nowhere, Blarf shows up and creates IHO. He not only created the repository, but contributed to helping anyone who wanted to take the time to learn how to build Android from source. Within a month, there were ROMs being churned out again, and new devs learning the workings of the OV.

Now a year later, we have more people working on developing for the Optimus V than ever, and more ROMs than anyone ever imagined possible for our phone! When most phones are being abandoned by users and devs alike after a year or so of coming out, our OV has become even more popular than ever.

Thanks to all the devs who have contributed to the community!

Thanks to everyone in the community that continues to test and give feedback!

Thanks to everyone who helps out in whatever way they can!

My name is Jerry, and I'm a proud member of the Optimus V community! ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for representing the Android community, the Optimus V and Android Central as a recognized Android Developer the way you do ;)

Reactions: JerryScript

Tejer

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
The V is my first smart phone. I've owned several standard phones made by LG and Samsung, and not only do I greatly enjoy the Android platform, but the phone itself is very durable. I like technology, but I really try to not upgrade something that isn't broken. I'm hoping to stick with this phone for quite a while.

Reactions: O13

cmerlyn

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
The V is my first smart phone. I've owned several standard phones made by LG and Samsung, and not only do I greatly enjoy the Android platform, but the phone itself is very durable. I like technology, but I really try to not upgrade something that isn't broken. I'm hoping to stick with this phone for quite a while.

Yeah, my first smart phone as well. I had a succession of dumb phones, then upgraded to a feature phone (actually quite nice), then got the OV with the thought of dropping AT&T. Still have the AT&T phone to use for phone and text, use the OV for everything else, thanks to the great ROMs that let us do all kinds of stuff with our trusty little smartphones.
No plan to replace this for a long time. No need to, thanks to this community.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Lol I thought this was an announcement for Alex's app.. :D
Back at ya! I honestly think there would be none of this without people like you, tdm, blarf, Leslie, mrg666, Bob, RedBaron, etc. :)

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jerry, blarf, bob, mrg666, leslie, tdm, gannon and anyone else I may be forgetting for feeding our flash addictions :). Without you guys developing these great rom's we'd be bored and not able to flash a different rom every 5 minutes. No but seriously thank for all your hard work and the time you spend to make this phone so great. This is my first smart phone but I sure went through alot of dumb phones because I got tired of them and had to have the next new thing. Because of all the great rom's available I don't see me getting rid of my OV any time soon! Also thanks to everyone in the Optimus V Community for all the support you give this phone!

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Jerry, I share your sentiments as well.

There have been two occasions where I had considered moving to a high end phone, but the development of this phone continues to bring me back.

Plus, this phone is so durable. I've flashed this thing so many times, it probably had the body of an 80 year old woman at this point.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you Jerry. I've been here with my V since the Rodimus ROM days. I still remember getting excited when Leslieann posted the first Harmonia ROM. Then you guys came out with IHO, and I've never looked back. I can't thank all the devs, past and current, enough for all their hard work. That includes helping the poor souls with bricked phones while still trying to build new and better roms for us to play with.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
This community is so diverse its amazing: we have solid, solid minimalist builds like leslieanns harmonia series and now redbarons stock GB, we have the theme machines like the other iho builds by Jerry, mrg666, bobzhome and others, we have the plethora of alpha builds by gannon to satisfy our flashaholics and port addicts, and we have tdm's ics, as well as others of us that are starting to build.

This community has some mad skills.

What other phone can compare...

Even our cousin the S doesn't have as much development.

Its just amazing, even the noobs among us are building.
Lets continue to make this the best community ever.:cool:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Great post Jerry. Ah, yes, I remember the slow period. Back when threads were being posted all the time asking when AOSPBot would post a new build of CM7. Back when people were still flashing Zefie's CM because it was actually relevant, and not just yelling at anyone who revives the thread :). I even remember back when you were asking for help on how to flash a ROM, and when people were making fun of you for what they called your little "Crush on CyanogenMod".

Ah, the good 'ol days...

But now everything is better! We've got more ROMs then you can count on two hands! I am extremely thankful to people like Blarf, Leslie, Bob, You, Gannon, MRG, and and all the other amazing devs still supporting our V. I was about ready to jump to T-Mobile for a few weeks there, but then I checked the forums one day and there were 5 new ROMs available!

The community here is great as well. It's a generally friendly atmosphere, and everyone is ready and willing to help each other out. That is what I love about AC. You go over to XDA and ask a simple question, and you are shunned and boo'd off the forum. Here you ask a question and you will have 5-10 members replying with helpful tips by the end of the day.

When I bought this phone, I expected a phone that I could finally play a few cool games on. Never did I ever expect for it to be such a wonderful and amazing learning experience.

So, once again, great job everyone. Give yourselves a pat on the back, you guys are great.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, the right one looks ok, the specs suck on both though. I would have to get another OV, because thats the only "great" phone that they came out with.

Back when I first got VM, I went cheap and got a LG Rumor Touch, it wasn't a "great phone" but it got the job done. Then when I saw the Triumph come out, I was like "awesome!!!!!", until I looked at the price. I wanted to stay with VM, but all the other phones (Intercept, Rumor 2) looked like they would suck just as much. But then I found the OV. Looked up everything there was to know (other than the Rooting/Rom stuff at the time) and it seemed like a decent phone. So I paid for it, and was just in love with it, until I got sick of the lack of space and just the sheer "stockness" of it, so I stumbled on to this lovely community, read everything (which is why there's no threads about rom maniger from me xD), rooted and rom'ed with Harmonia Froyo.

And now here we are, ICS'ed and making this 125-150$ phone seemingly the best phone out there since the Iphone came out. Thanks for everything you all have done for this little powerhouse of a smartphone.

We all appreciate your work ^^.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
i also appreciate that early on, people kindly pursuaded me not to eat my phone when words like "Gingerbread" and "Ice Cream Sandwich" were being thrown around.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Great post Jerry. Ah, yes, I remember the slow period. Back when threads were being posted all the time asking when AOSPBot would post a new build of CM7. Back when people were still flashing Zefie's CM because it was actually relevant, and not just yelling at anyone who revives the thread :). I even remember back when you were asking for help on how to flash a ROM, and when people were making fun of you for what they called your little "Crush on CyanogenMod".

Ah, the good 'ol days...

But now everything is better! We've got more ROMs then you can count on two hands! I am extremely thankful to people like Blarf, Leslie, Bob, You, Gannon, MRG, and and all the other amazing devs still supporting our V. I was about ready to jump to T-Mobile for a few weeks there, but then I checked the forums one day and there were 5 new ROMs available!

The community here is great as well. It's a generally friendly atmosphere, and everyone is ready and willing to help each other out. That is what I love about AC. You go over to XDA and ask a simple question, and you are shunned and boo'd off the forum. Here you ask a question and you will have 5-10 members replying with helpful tips by the end of the day.

When I bought this phone, I expected a phone that I could finally play a few cool games on. Never did I ever expect for it to be such a wonderful and amazing learning experience.

So, once again, great job everyone. Give yourselves a pat on the back, you guys are great.

Lol jerry's aospbot man crush. He was kind of like the "leave Brittany alone" dude/girl. Good times. Lots of progress made. Thanks every body, even you cariousnoob, your like the optimus v lab rat

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My name is Leo, and purchasing the Optimus V was probably one of the best choices I have ever made, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever :D

Running IHO as I'm writing this, but in all honesty the community is what I love the most about this device :)

I wanna thank everyone who has helped out and supported me this whole time (honestly gonna have a hard time listing names lol)

Sent from my LG-VM670 running IHO MiRaGe using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to add my thanks here as well. I think I came in just after the initial flurry of action and R0Ms here and on other forums but just as things started to slow down a bit? I'm really glad I came in then, as there were already R0Ms available and most of the mistakes had already been made by others, allowing me to learn from their examples.

Then just as I'd thought things were over and I'd have to stick with Froyo forever, IHO happened and things have just gotten better from there. Not to mention the promising work being done by Gannon and others in porting over all kinds of new options for us. I couldn't be happier with this, my first smartphone experience! That's all thanks to the community that has sprung up around this phone...

Thanks guys!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This community has some mad skills.

What other phone can compare...

Even our cousin the S doesn't have as much development.

Its just amazing, even the noobs among us are building.
Lets continue to make this the best community ever.:cool:

For the size of the community, this phone does incredibly well. Even ignoring the community size, we do quite well, but some phones simply dwarf us in development. The Evo 4G will make a flashaholic overdose, despite being a 2 year old contract phone.

The OS community used to have a lot more development, but being a contract phone where there is more options and it's age is now hurting it, it's not a surprise to slow down on development. The OV's saving grace is that as far as many are concerned it's still the best phone on VM. This is why the Evo4g is still going strong as well, many still consider it one of the best phones. Had the Triumph been better, the OV community wouldn't be where it is today.

As for noobs becoming devs, that's how it happens.

My thanks to all who have helped.
The OV is the little phone that could. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20