[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

Luniz2k1

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

1st time that I have rooted an Android phone (LG Optimus V). Instructions were very well written and had no issues. :cool:

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Then you can flash a recovery via adb:
Code:
adb push c:\PATH_TO_RECOVERY.img /sdcard/recovery.img
adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
exit
adb reboot recovery

That's new to me, and will come in handy!!!

I just used this on my replacement, not ZV9, and I find it alot easier than having to go through the Gingerbreak process, and terminal

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

That's new to me, and will come in handy!!!

I just used this on my replacement, not ZV9, and I find it alot easier than having to go through the Gingerbreak process, and terminal

Didn't you have to root first?!? How could you could install flash_image and a custom recovery without Gingerbreak'ing first (or Superoneclick or some other root)?

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

That's what I wondered. I thought you could only adb push if you were rooted to mount the system as r/w

You can adb push without root, but not to the system partition (as you said). Seriously, they must've sent you a refurb that was already rooted. I cannot think of another explanation.

nijel

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

You can only adb push if ro.secure=0, or if ro.secure=1 but ro.debuggable=1 after "adb root" command. These properties are build into kernel. Root doesn't mather. Run these commands to see what are yours:
Code:
adb shell getprop ro.secure

adb shell getprop ro.debuggable

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

You can adb push without root, but not to the system partition (as you said). Seriously, they must've sent you a refurb that was already rooted. I cannot think of another explanation.

This is probably the answer. Which begs to ask what DOES Vm do to returned phones?

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
@nijel: Thank you. The context was CuriousNoob receiving a "new" phone from VMU and being able to flash a custom recovery without rooting, possibly even without installing flash_image. That's what puzzled me - and made me wonder if he received an already rooted phone - not that he was able to adb push.

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

perhaps leslie could edit the OP to include the CWM green as one of the recovery no no's as far as radios go

anon(471323)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I get all the way to "adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery.img /data/local/VM670NH_recovery.img" & there I get a permission denied error, any help? Already reset a few times the phone but that doesn't help.
Build number ZV9.479A6632
SW Version VM670ZV9

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza