[ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!!

Droidtrav

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jca

the root exploit doesnt work.. for me...sorry too much simile and hyperbole...

I had all the bloatware removed and de-throttling edits as well.

anyways in looking at this thread from a Desktop (amazing how that'll give you a different perspective)

i'm going try a couple more things and other than that enjoy my resurected stock ov

thankz

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
the root exploit doesnt work.. for me...sorry too much simile and hyperbole...

I had all the bloatware removed and de-throttling edits as well.

anyways in looking at this thread from a Desktop (amazing how that'll give you a different perspective)

i'm going try a couple more things and other than that enjoy my resurected stock ov

thankz

The root exploit does work and we can help you through it. where are you getting stuck and if there is an error message what is it?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

bladerang

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

cant get past step 3 the first line where it says "adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image" just gives me error:closed
any help???
nvm fixed problem :D

Last edited:

xbox360fan

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Is there a way to make this program work from using only ur phone? If there was a way to extract whatever blocks off the recovery from flashing custom recoverys and rooting can lt be removed completely and rewrote or did vm basically set up a mini firewall. I hope someone can make a apk outta this like gingerbreak. I don't have a computer sucks to be I know but I have faith u smart people :)

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to make this program work from using only ur phone? If there was a way to extract whatever blocks off the recovery from flashing custom recoverys and rooting can lt be removed completely and rewrote or did vm basically set up a mini firewall. I hope someone can make a apk outta this like gingerbreak. I don't have a computer sucks to be I know but I have faith u smart people :)

Unfortunately there is no way to root zv9 without a computer

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

xbox360fan

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, guess ill download theses files whenever I get around a computer if I can. I don't even know how to run a program in a computer so ill be back in a few days for advise.

Max E Trone

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

my phone does the gorditaroot all the way up to "install from zip" and then it gets stuck in the screen with the tophat and yellow arrow and doesnt let me finish :( any help?
im on optimus v VM670ZV9-60401001 baseband

PLEEEEASE!! :'(

mikevino76

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I keep getting the 755 permission denied message? What am I doing wrong? Do I not have the right adb driver? What accelerometer program is best to use?

mikevino76

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

ok thats easy enough any info on the 755 permission denied message after i push the files to my phone and try to do the first adb shell thing I keep getting that message. I'm no expert at this just trying to get all the crapware off my phone

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
ok thats easy enough any info on the 755 permission denied message after i push the files to my phone and try to do the first adb shell thing I keep getting that message. I'm no expert at this just trying to get all the crapware off my phone

Try this

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=4226913

Same exploit copied into an automated process. ;)

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running LS670ZVJ Hydro Rom

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I normally just use the messaging app and turn the phone sideways a few times. The accelerometer is what detects what orientation the phone is in

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running LS670ZVJ Hydro Rom

Okay, I thought you might be talking about some kind of accelerometer calibration app or some such thing that I've not yet heard of.

DrivenKeys

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

My OV came with the update installed. My first root failed the first 3 times just b/c i'm a noob with commands that require spaces. If you don't overthink it, follow the guide like a monkey, it should work.

Thanks guys! My OV is now successfully rooted!

metal321

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Just thought I'd chime in here and add that this worked for without having to do a factory reset. The one part that actually didn't work was trying to push the jcase_rootme.zip to the SD card but once I figured out it had to go there I just moved it manually. The only thing I would add to it is that you have to use the camera button to select when you are in the CWM recovery. I had to do a search to figure out how to do that. And you have to use the Volume controls to move up and down but that was easy enough to figure out.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

This was my experience: The first time, rooting went rather smoothly. Not perfectly and exactly according to the instructions, but close enough (like until the second reboot when I got into CWM recovery I had to use the home button to select instead of the camera button). I doubt that it matters, but I did a manual root each time. I felt it was safer and if there was an error along the way, I wanted to see where it was.

I got root, got everything linked with Link2SD, and noticed the phone being really sluggish and a couple of FCs. Looking in recovery, I saw "fix permissions" and thought that sounded like a great idea.

Yeah. Not so much. CWM recovery reset everything to 771. The next reboot I ended up with a seriously screwed up phone. Link2SD was suddenly throwing "link failed, permission denied" errors. On a Linux server I could fix permission errors, but being new to the inner workings of Android...and for whatever reason can't get ADB working on the command line to save my soul (set the path, installed Java, instaled the Android SDK, stood on my head and quacked like a duck, etc). Worked fine from running the .bat files, Android Commander works fine (it requires ADB)....so I dunno. But I'm saving that mystery for another day.

I ended up re-rooting, about 8 times. Each time it would report success at each section, but no superuser. The last time I did a data wipe (from within the recovery), and THEN it was successful. FINALLY!

I think it might not be a bad idea to add to the original post DON'T USE "FIX PERMISSIONS." As soon as I know more about ROMs/recovery, I'm definitely going to find a replacement for CWM.

I read LeslieAnn's post about how to fix 99% of ROM issues, and as she suggested I formatted the SD card with the device the second time around. CWM recovery formats the SD card in ext3 format, and according to Link2SD ext3 isn't supported by my device and the phone wouldn't mount. It recommending formatting in FAT32, which I did (using MiniTool) and is working fine for the 2nd partition.

I spent 3 weeks reading, scouring these forums (and several others), so I'd be prepared. Most I've ever studied for what was (or should have been) 5 minutes worth of work.

Anyway, thanks to all for the information overload :)

shadowvox6

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I am trying to root my phone, and I have gotten to this point 3 separate times.
I have reset my phone twice, one time from the recovery menu, the other from the menu option, neither mattered.

Here is what I am getting:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\newuser>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

C:\>cd android-sdk

C:\android-sdk>dir/w
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is FC0E-1E61

Directory of C:\android-sdk

[.] [..] [add-ons] AVD Manager.exe
[extras] [platform-tools] [platforms] SDK Manager.exe
SDK Readme.txt [temp] [tools] uninstall.exe
4 File(s) 787,783 bytes
8 Dir(s) 44,845,793,280 bytes free

C:\android-sdk>cd platform-tools

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
A0000028AAA7D5 device

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_image
724 KB/s (9640 bytes in 0.013s)

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push VM670NH_recovery.img /data/local/VM670NH_
recovery.img
2736 KB/s (4200448 bytes in 1.499s)

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push jcase_rootme.zip /sdcard/jcase_rootme.zip

2573 KB/s (640406 bytes in 0.243s)

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell rm /data/amit/*

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/AMI304.co
nfig.ini

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/AMI304.co
nfig2.ini

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb reboot

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell /data/flash_image recovery /data/local/V
M670NH_recovery.img
/data/flash_image: not found

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/l
ocal/VM670NH_recovery.img
error writing recovery: Permission denied

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/VM670NH_recovery.img

List of devices attached
A0000028AAA7D5 device

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push flash_image /data/local/flash_image
1344 KB/s (9640 bytes in 0.007s)

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push VM670NH_recovery.img /data/local/VM670NH_recovery.img
3307 KB/s (4200448 bytes in 1.240s)

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push jcase_rootme.zip /sdcard/jcase_rootme.zip
2627 KB/s (640406 bytes in 0.238s)

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/AMI304_config.ini

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd2 /data/amit/AMI304_config2.ini

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb reboot

List of devices attached
A0000028AAA7D5 device

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/VM670NH_recovery.img

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>

Any help??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair