Special Thanks To LeslieAnn!

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Fyi I have a mirror of most repos on icsbox. I'm working on a script to convert the manifest to use it and that should bring down the bandwidth usage significantly.

Reactions: LeslieAnn

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
LOL.. No need to explain, I understood 90% of what you said I just was floored never expecting to hear anything like that... Very impressive :)
Ahh, I misunderstood, I just re-read it and saw what you meant.

Just another day for me. LOL
You should see my entire setup at the house.

Fyi I have a mirror of most repos on icsbox. I'm working on a script to convert the manifest to use it and that should bring down the bandwidth usage significantly.

I'm not to worried about it, I'm hoping to get the new cable installed soon, just been lazy and busy (always one or the other).

KingPenguin

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I certainly appreciate all those details. Bandwidth will be a problem. I will probably have to limit it via my router as 250GB a month will have to be shared with the rest of my house. That may reduce its usefulness. On the other hand, it is a real server and the build times are phenomenal based on a test build of CM7 on similar hardware. Not worried about disk space or RAM. Security is a big concern.

Just thinking about what this involves makes it evident that you folks doing ROMs (and setting up build systems) are due many thanks. These ROMs make the V worth more than other phones that are twice as expensive.

Sent from my ICS Touchpad

andreazombie80

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.
√√
Starting to wonder if this isn't the reason whyzor is coming back to the ov
Edit: this is my wife's account that's why it says the triumph I look out for both phones and right now I'm thinking the optimus man why didn't I get the optimus . The triumph is nice but the devs over on the optimus kick ass.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest starting by doing an install of your distro of choice. I always recommend putting /home on its own partition. Then install all the build tools and start mirroring repos. I can help with any of it just let me know.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and if your distro of choice is not one of the previously recommended ones, there is always schroot. I love schroot. :D

KingPenguin

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It'll be Ubuntu for sure. Since that's what Leslie uses and happens to be my favorite at the moment. Making /home it's own partition is a great idea. Now that I have a better idea of what's involved, it's going to be a few weeks to get it all together. But when I have the basics in place, I will ping TDM and/or LeslieAnn for help. Repo mirroring is probably where I'll mess up without help.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't bother mirroring because due to the other concerns, I would recommend leaving it open to only a very select few, preferably those building during the hours your family isn't on. That may work sometimes, but like Jerry mentions, he was building for 8 hours on mine. Odds of that matching perfectly with your families sleep/work patterns are slim. And they WILL complain. Depending on your router, you could also throttle based on time of day, that may help, but reduces the main function, which is speed.

Unfortunately, every rule you add to home routers, slows them down. Just a few traffic rules can bring them to a crawl, just another reason for a high end router. I have mine set to prioritize my own traffic (except torrents), and I limit it to 1 or 1.4megs (I forget) upload speed. With that, I can play Left4Dead2 pretty much lag free (I may need to add a download limit). If I remove either rule, I either get a 500ms lag spike for 15 seconds, or I get a 350ms lag for 5 minutes. Keep in mind, I have a pretty fat connection, 2meg up/16meg down with bursting enabled up to 60megs(!). If you have just a normal 3 or 6 meg DSL with a typical home wireless router, forget it, you will not be able to get your router to keep you running smooth during games, and even normal surfing will be dramatically effected. You may as well just build this for yourself.

Unfortunately, while you may have a fast system, your connection is really going to be a bottleneck no matter what you do. One bottleneck is all it takes. It may work okay for one or two people, but beyond that, it's going to come to a crawl at various times. You may want to see what an internet upgrade will cost you, it may not be as much as you think. You probably will want 8-10meg down at least though.

My internet and hosting fees can be written off on taxes and my websites cover it, so I have an advantage there.