[Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically challeng

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Due to data speeds being greatly reduced for some users who flashed the update, VM has pulled the link. I personally do not recomend thiss update.

The ZV9 radio is part of a security update from Virgin Mobile, and as such removes root access. Jcase from XDA and Jerryscript have cracked the security so it is possible to have the new radio, with root access. The process can be a little intimidating, especially if your technical skills end at putting fresh batteries in a remote.
This guide should make it easy to follow the rather convoluted steps required. I made none of this (with the exception of modifying the Linux scripts to be Windows compatible,) I've only compiled the resources in one place with directions. I assume you know nothing, need everything setup from scratch, and that you're running Windows. Let's begin, shall we?

First of all, we need to be prepared. Set aside about an hour and a half during which you don't expect any calls. The process shouldn't take that long, but this gives you plenty of time - don't rush! The hardest part is getting things set up right. Once you've got that done, it will be very easy.

You will need to download the following files:
ADB, here. Follow the installation instructions found in the link.
Java, here. Install like any other windows program.
USB drivers, here. Unzip, then run the executable. Without this, your phone and PC can't communicate.
CunningLogic-GorditaRoot-4win, here. Unzip the files to C:\SDK\platform-tools. Make sure you can see Gordita.bat in the same folder as adb.exe.
The official VM670ZV9 update from VM, here. Put this on your sd card, in the root directory (not in a sub folder.)
Optional:
Flash Image GUI, here. Install this app on your phone.
Bobzhome's recovery, here.
jcase's modified SuperUser zip package, jcase_rootme.zip.

Setup:
Make sure your have Java, ADB, and the USB drivers installed properly. First Java can be tested by going here. If that works, then you can move to the next step, testing the drivers. Plug your phone into the PC with the USB cable. Windows should detect new hardware and then install the drivers. When you see the message "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use." then you can proceed to the next step. On the phone, go to Menu-Settings-Applications-Developement and make sure Android Debugging is enabled. Now on the PC click start-accessories-command prompt. In the command prompt window, type the following commands (or copy and paste.)
cd c:\SDK\platform-tools
adb devices

Leave the command prompt open, we may need it later.
If all went well, adb should list your phone. Congatulations! Setup is now complete.

Process:
Stage 1
1) Reboot into recovery. Check your current recovery version. If you have CWMT or MultiBoot you will need to change it, or this WILL brick your phone. Use Flash Image GUI (or the BACKside updater if you're running BACKside - thanks Jerry, you rock!) to flash Bobzhome's recovery.
2) Go to Backup and Restore, choose Backup.
3) Once done, click back to the main menu. Choose apply update from sd.
4) Once that is done, choose reboot system now.
5) Your phone may or may not boot at this point - don't panic! If it doesn't boot, just pull the battery, then boot back into recovery. If it did boot up, reboot into recovery anyway!
6) Choose factory reset/wipe data.
7) Choose apply update from sd (yes, again.)
8) Once done, reboot to system.
9) The phone should boot up to the stock rom. You can verify the radio version now by Menu-Settings-About Phone-Baseband Version. It should end in ZV9. If not, stop. Return to step 3, and repeat.

Stage 2
10) On the phone, go to Menu-Settings-Applications-Developement and make sure Android Debugging is enabled.
11) On the PC, navigate to C:\SDK\platform-tools. Double click Gordita.bat. If it doesn't work (or hits an error), open it with a text editor, then copy and paste each line individually into the command prompt window. You can skip the lines that begin with "echo."
12) Wait for it to finish. You'll know it's done when you see "Recovery flashed! Enjoy."
13) Reboot into recovery.
14) Go to Backup and Restore, choose Restore. Pick your latest backup.
15) Reboot. Done!

Notes:
If you want the stock rom with root access, skip step 14. Instead, choose install zip from sd card, and flash jcase's modified SuperUser zip package. Reboot. Done!
If you want a clean start (like I did) skip step 14. Instead, choose install zip from sd card, and flash your favorite rom (and gapps if necessary.) Reboot. Done!

I appreciate any feedback on this guide, as that will only improve it.
That's all there is to it, enjoy!

Last edited:

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
To any one who followed this guide, how's your GPS behaving? Since writing this my GPS now locks on in about one third of the time it used to take. I'm trying to figure out if the radio update had anything to do with it.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How to flash the ZV9 update, for the technically chal

If you have CWMT or Xionia you will need to change
Can you confirm xionia is bricking phones? Because I can without a doubt say it didnt brick my phone. I was using rzrecovery and bootlooped me. I used a flash-able xionia zip and fixed the bootloops and flashed the rom via that recovery.

Second I would note that you are instructing people how to flash and root this update. I know your doing this with a sick kiddo (my sympathies in dealing with sick kids) and this is awesome just want people to be well informed of what steps are being given to them.

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
To any one who followed this guide, how's your GPS behaving? Since writing this my GPS now locks on in about one third of the time it used to take. I'm trying to figure out if the radio update had anything to do with it.

I followed your guide to installing the update without rooting my vm and I have to agree my gps locks way faster than before. I'm very pleased with this update. I'll work on rooting my vm once I have access to my desktop.

Thanks for the guide! Greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: brotherswing

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Eollie, I can verify my method doesn't brick, but I've taken the word of others (whom I respect a great deal) that this is the safest way to go. I tend to err on the side of caution, I really don't want someone to destroy an innocent piece of technology because of me. :)

Also, I did kind of assume that people reading this would want root access, mostly because such users are the most likely to read this forum and most likely to be interested in flashing the radio. My bad. :)

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

My accelerometer has been very responsive with this update as well and there are no reboots problems at all, this has been a very pleasant experience

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

@brotherswing I dont mean to discount you. Just want to make sure proper info is given out. Regarding assuming people would know, like you said its good to err on the cautious side and never assume when it comes to non technically inclined people :p.

Reactions: brotherswing

demoport

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

I did use your guide to install the USB drivers and setup ADB, which was very helpful, because without it I wouldn't have been able to use the other guide by JerryScript.

Reactions: droidmyme

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

@brotherswing I dont mean to discount you. Just want to make sure proper info is given out. Regarding assuming people would know, like you said its good to err on the cautious side and never assume when it comes to non technically inclined people :p.

I strive for accuracy as well. After verifying, I have updated the OP.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I did use your guide to install the USB drivers and setup ADB, which was very helpful, because without it I wouldn't have been able to use the other guide by JerryScript.
Well, my guide is based on his. Mine is just written as a "for dummies" style, while Jerry's is more technical. I'm glad you found both useful.

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Is someone going to post a .zip to flash this new radio, because i currently have v 2.2.1! And is this going to make my phone any better, will I still be able to flash some sprint roms sorry so many question! !! Thanks

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Is someone going to post a .zip to flash this new radio, because i currently have v 2.2.1! And is this going to make my phone any better, will I still be able to flash some sprint roms sorry so many question! !! Thanks

I have all the links here for the necessary files. As for making your phone better, some people see an improvement - some don't. Your mileage may vary. As far as flashing a Sprint Rom, I would never recommend it. Some people (like Cammykool) have done it, but I'm more old school about flashing firmware, I was always taught flashing the firmware for a different carrier can, at best, nerf your data connection. At worst, it can brick your phone.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Badboytoast

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't stand this, I said I wasn't gonna do it but Im a flashaholic so lmo have ta try zv9. I'm a dumb a when it comes to doing this on the pc, is there an easier way? I've done everything to my phone, root, flash roms etc through my phone. Can someone help me PLEASE:)

Tappatalkin' from My V

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't stand this, I said I wasn't gonna do it but Im a flashaholic so lmo have ta try zv9. I'm a dumb a when it comes to doing this on the pc, is there an easier way? I've done everything to my phone, root, flash roms etc through my phone. Can someone help me PLEASE:)

Tappatalkin' from My V

You can get zv9 without a pc but you need a pc to root currently

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rebel69ization

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol