P500 performance

A.I.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I hear on the tweaks but could this work if we figured the Adreno into it?

If it's just init.d scripts it can possibly work. IHO's hardware acceleration performance isn't all that great, namely in games & scrolling. You can tell by how choppy scrolling is without enabling most of the performance enhancements that CM7 provides.

The real magic would be the kernel. And as close as our phones are, we have enough differences to not make it fully compatible.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
been working on a kernel using a select few patches from what appears to be the kernel for that rom. anyone wanna test? (if it works without issues it'll be the kernel used in my rom) its currently compiling

changes for anyone who cares:
bobzhome's kernel +:
-ck2 patchset (personal preference. improves latency and experience on desktops and other user devices)
-bfs cpu scheduler (from -ck + a fix for android)
-bfq and sio io schedulers (sio default, what is used in the p500 rom)
-handful of patches from the p500 kernel. (the few that cleanly patched)

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
heres the kernel. hopefully i didnt break nothin
(not a flashable zip. just the kernel and modules zipped up)

(don't use this, check below for flashable zip)

edit: removed. go get the latest on my thread

Last edited:

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
heres the kernel. hopefully i didnt break nothin
(not a flashable zip. just the kernel and modules zipped up)

Do you want me to decompile Bob's recovery and throw the zimage in?
Have you thought of koush's anykernel flash zip? It's real helpful

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you want me to decompile Bob's recovery and throw the zimage in?
Have you thought of koush's anykernel flash zip? It's real helpful

ive already modified his build.sh script to do it all for me. i was just lazy

heres a flashable zip

(note: its old. check the other thread i hijacked)

Last edited:
Reactions: clodfelterac

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Successfully flash on the latest backside! Feels smooth, slick, great job tvall ill keep it and do more testing! ! Feels great tho!!!"

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Hold on a minute, is that download a new kernel? Does it work better or is it a placebo?

If people notice extreme differences then its a placebo. But there are a few changes that could help some.
The sio scheduler I know nothing about, but its used in quattrimus so I decided to try it (also have noop, deadline, and bfq compiled in as options). The -ck patchset works wonders on my desktops, so using it here should help (using bfs on the mytouch 3g was noticeably more responsive). Everything else.. idk.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Also wanted to point something out, the kernel is kinda aiming at improved responsiveness. there's a difference between that and performance.
example. My desktop using a kernel from the debian repo can compile a kernel quickly, but I can do nothing else while doing this = performance
Vanilla kernel + ck patches takes a little longer to compile, but I barely notice its even doing anything while I watch YouTube and waste time in facebook = responsive
My build box/web server is configured to be not very responsive at all (I even notice lag in ssh) but it does its jobs quick = performance

On these phones, I think we want responsiveness
(People smarter than me, please correct any errors I made)

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You seriously believe people besides Bob or tdm to read that and understand every word? LOL!
jk, nice job! I'm seeing some overall better performances. Now to take a speed test to really determine ;)

BackHandLegend

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Also wanted to point something out, the kernel is kinda aiming at improved responsiveness. there's a difference between that and performance.
example. My desktop using a kernel from the debian repo can compile a kernel quickly, but I can do nothing else while doing this = performance
Vanilla kernel + ck patches takes a little longer to compile, but I barely notice its even doing anything while I watch YouTube and waste time in facebook = responsive
My build box/web server is configured to be not very responsive at all (I even notice lag in ssh) but it does its jobs quick = performance

On these phones, I think we want responsiveness
(People smarter than me, please correct any errors I made)

I don't understand a lot of the mumbo jumbo, but I ran some tests of my own (basic tests).
I flashed the newest version of bobzhome and ran neocore. It had 55-57 fps in the tests I ran. I then installed this kernel and found that the fps were the same, EXCEPT (here's where it gets good) I recorded myself dragging the statusbar too and fro with both kernels at slow, moderate, then fast speeds. Guess which one did better? The one you uploaded :D it felt and is more responsive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21